Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be getting into some gncc style racing up in New England and have a bone stock maverick. Was wondering what people did to get their maverick race ready.

·
Vendor
224 Posts
Get in contact with Treavis Poynter. He is here on the forum and is currently racing XC1 GNCC in a Maverick and should be able to help guide you.

Nate
Alba Racing

·
Premium Member
8,280 Posts
Cage
5 point harnesses
window nets
arm restraints
neck restraint (d-cell, Hans.....)
revalve shocks is a must
horn
good skid plates
gusset a-rm pivot points
replace tie rods with heavier ones

cary spare belts

lots of whistle dick (wd40) to spray down car before race to keep mud off

know your machine and how to work on it trail side

remember "you must first finish to finish first" pace yourself untill you are 100% comfortable with the machine. You will break little stuff and bolts will rattle loose. Prep before the race is as important as racing itself.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Cage
5 point harnesses
window nets
arm restraints
neck restraint (d-cell, Hans.....)
revalve shocks is a must
horn
good skid plates
gusset a-rm pivot points
replace tie rods with heavier ones

cary spare belts

lots of whistle dick (wd40) to spray down car before race to keep mud off

know your machine and how to work on it trail side

remember "you must first finish to finish first" pace yourself untill you are 100% comfortable with the machine. You will break little stuff and bolts will rattle loose. Prep before the race is as important as racing itself.
You're not aloud to have a horn in the GNCC series.

You don't have to have a cage although I recommend it.

You need at least 4 point harnesses but I suggest 5 points.

You have to have either doors or nets you don't have to have window beta with doors but I suggest you do have them for safety.

They don't require a neck restraint but I suggest a Next Gen.

You can find all the safety requirements on their website.

You need these websites:
www.gnccracing.com
www.fcrsuspension.com
www.omfperformance.com
www.teamalbaracing.com
www.ncpowersports.com
www.superatv.com

This is what they dont tell you on www.gnccracing.com that you need to knoe. We have broke these in this order:
1. Tie rods
2. Started to tweak the a arm mounts.
3. Rear CVs
4. Belts
5. Radius rods

So in order to finish you need to fix 1-5 and this is what you need.
1. Upgraded tie rods. (I sell a 6061 7/8" solid round stock tie rod kit)
2. Front a arm brave that attaches all 4 a arms together. (I sell one of these)
3. There isn't a fix for the CVs yet. Some people are running gorilla axles but they've been popping out of the duffs. If you're brakes start to go out and you have to pump them to get them to work STOP driving. The cv is about to break and it takes $700 of stuff with it each time.
4. Best thing you can do is buy a STM rage VI set up for GNCC racing with a STM secondary. I got mine through NC Powersports. Kris on here also sells a QSC/STM set up that is a little cheaper. If you can't afford that run the EPI red spring and keep your clutch clean. Clean it after every ride. Also cut a 3" hole in your cover directly in front of the secondary and plumb a bilge blower into it. This will get you more air to the clutch and help your belt last.
5. Upgrade your radius rods. They break at the adjustment on the rear. (I'm making some this week because that is what caused me to DNF Sunday.)

You can run the stock skid plates until they bust off if you are penny pinching but I suggest a good UHMW skid plate. We are hoping to have some available soon.

Now after you have prepped it to finish you want to make it turn fast lap times. All the power in the world isn't good if you can't put it to the ground and use it. The absolute best mod you can make is have FCR Suspension get your shocks dialed in.
Next would be to narrow it up some. Best way to do this is with OMFs narrowing wheels. You kill two birds with one stone. You get a good 14" bead lock wheel that is as close to indestructible as you can get and you narrow the Maverick. I won't run any wheels other than OMFs because they are the only wheels I know that last. I've seen several different wheels broke in GNCCs
Next would be power. I'm waiting on Nate to get his stuff done. The Maverick is fast stock, but Nate will make it nasty fast and I can't wait.

I also run SuperATV power steering with our steering quickener. Factory CanAm/JB Racing driver Kyle Chaney just used the combination for the first time this past Saturday and said he will never drive without it again.

This is what we have found so far with the Maverick. We have had some teething problems, but we are getting it narrowed down. We will keep making improvements and as we do out stuff will become available. Our goal is for everything to be strong and light.

Any other questions feel free to ask on here or on any of my other threads. You can also PM me. You can follow our team on the Crash Addict Industries Facebook page. Ill even help you out on other competitors stuff. No bias opinions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts