Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cars Lund’s like there are rocks in the gearbox while trying to go into reverse. It runs fine in high though. I am hoping it’s the shift fork.

Has anyone removed their gearbox that would like to give me some pointers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
I would search on utube , can usually find a vid on step by step and any things to look out for

·
Registered
517 Posts
Its more then likely the shift dogs and not the forks, doesnt take much wear to have em start grinding. They can technically be changed in frame. If you dont mind cutting a small notch in the pan section of the frame right below the gear box you dont even have to unbolt the gear box. If you chose not to cut then motor and gearbox have to move up and ahead about 2inches. Lots of things need to come off to do this, headers, driveshaft, shift linkage, intake... if you go this route get yourself a service manual online, they go for about 20$.
Heres some pics of how to access and how little wear will cause grinding when engaging.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car will shift into reverse but will try to go backwards but is skipping on something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
517 Posts
Id still guess something with the shift dogs. Those 3 raised areas on it are what engages to the gear and are the main link between the input shaft and the gear.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Its more then likely the shift dogs and not the forks, doesnt take much wear to have em start grinding. They can technically be changed in frame. If you dont mind cutting a small notch in the pan section of the frame right below the gear box you dont even have to unbolt the gear box. If you chose not to cut then motor and gearbox have to move up and ahead about 2inches. Lots of things need to come off to do this, headers, driveshaft, shift linkage, intake... if you go this route get yourself a service manual online, they go for about 20$.
Heres some pics of how to access and how little wear will cause grinding when engaging.

excellent info, where you able to get only the worn out parts or did you have to buy the complete assy? and where did you find the online manual? thanks a lot.

·
Registered
517 Posts
excellent info, where you able to get only the worn out parts or did you have to buy the complete assy? and where did you find the online manual? thanks a lot.
Only replaced the worn out parts, was about 100$ canadian. Got manual from canammanuals.com

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts