Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My case is a little unique, because I have not been running the CVT cover. I do have the exhaust wrapped, & a heat shield between the exhaust pipe and CVT system though. Anyways, I have about two or three hundred miles on this belt, and after a five mile 60 mile per hour run down a wash, all of a sudden I felt a vibration. Popped seat and the covers off, and this is what I see.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hopefully not a result of the washer/shim you put in the primary.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
can't say that i have ever seen one come apart quite like that. I would actually contact Gates and show them that one.....they may say it was a defective belt based on the way it separated

Reactions: Caveman

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Not good, have you had problems with your stock belts? I've seen snowmobile belts do that several times. I have a Gates guess I'll keep it for a spare.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I wonder if the exhaust heat broke it down quicker so it delaminated.
How much mileage were getting out of the OEM's?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I am just not a fan of aftermarket belts. I think they would be a good product on an ATV, but the stress a utv puts on them. I believe its a case of pay now or pay later. The BRP belt is the best belt going I believe... Hell if you make clutches the way they do you better have a good belt! :)

Reactions: bulldogs101

·
Registered
711 Posts
thats from getting it too hot. too much load. are you still running the stock secondary? did you hear the engine bog down any while you were at full throttle?

when a belt gets too hot, the glue that holds it together melts. when the glue melts, the belt pulls itself apart. too much load on the belt gets them hot like that. which usually is a result of the clutch being in too high of a gear ratio for the load and situation you were under. typically a stock secondary, wide open throttle, and hitting soft spots like silt or wet sand that bogs the motor down while at full speed. the secondary needs to backshift down a gear but the stock secondary just wont backshift while at full throttle.

adding an STM secondary to the mix would help solve that problem. or if you do already have an STM secondary, getting it dialed in a little better. the belts dont usually get all that hot when the clutches are operating properly. they will however get EXTREMELY hot when the clutches are under too much load from being in the wrong gear ratio,

if you would like to bring it to me some time this week i will be GLAD to give it a go and see if i can tune it a little better. i will be at glamis thursday-sunday tuning on clutches i can dial it in for you.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Adam, it would be great to have you look at it! I have a stock secondary on it and your CVTech. Can you look at it Sunday morning. What time do you want me there. And where at in Glamis?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Adam, it would be great to have you look at it! I have a stock secondary on it and your CVTech. Can you look at it Sunday morning. What time do you want me there. And where at in Glamis?
Is this the first time you've had clutch/belt issues since installing the cvtech? How long have you been running it? I'm looking to replace my primary with a cvtech and wondering if guys are having good luck with it? I can't seem to find out what they cost either!!! Is it super top secret? Or just mediocre customer service?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Yeah, set up its a little more. They have to make a living too.
He says he will set it up for your application at no additional charge, just have to wait an extra day or so..... But who knows.

It ships from Canada.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
here is another belt with aftermarket clutch I seen blow to

1471760_676917979007645_1634276832_n.jpg

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
idk it was posted on FB - but ya looks like it

1 - 20 of 32 Posts