Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Not trying to beat a dead horse, but has anyone tried them yet?

·
Registered
806 Posts
I know you've sold them. I bought one a couple weeks ago but have not installed, waiting on my new primary. Just wondering if there has been any feedback comparing the gates to brp.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Like, longevity, wear, hardness,. Just don't want it to wear into my clutch. Heard someone say it might groove the sheaves.

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like, longevity, wear, hardness,. Just don't want it to wear into my clutch. Heard someone say it might groove the sheaves.
That is not true, actually the stock one is rougher on the sheaves than this one, the carbon belt wears at same rate as rubber where as the zylon does not, it wears slower.

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know you've sold them. I bought one a couple weeks ago but have not installed, waiting on my new primary. Just wondering if there has been any feedback comparing the gates to brp.
If you put a gun to my head I would say in some cases the stock one edges out the Gates but in the majority of environments the Gates holds up just as well and for the money compared to the stock one it can't be beat.

Whether it means anything to you or not, what do I run? Gates C12 and on any machine I ever owned or raced I have never broken any belt. My clutching and other set ups have always been right and I have foot control.

If you have a turbo, get a stock one, it will stretch some where the gates won't.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
I have yet to see a Aftermarket belt that doesn't blow up fast out here in the dunes. Doesn't matter if it was a OEM Yamaha belt or CanAM belt. the OEM belts were always Superior to aftermarket Belts. So your actually sayin that this Belt is better than the OEM. Im having a hard time believing that..

·
Registered
806 Posts
I agree Warlock and am waiting for reply. lol. I already have a brand new gates not installed. If the oem is better then I will get a new one and keep the gates for a spare. Would rather put the best one on 1st.

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree Warlock and am waiting for reply. lol. I already have a brand new gates not installed. If the oem is better then I will get a new one and keep the gates for a spare. Would rather put the best one on 1st.
I didn't say that, reread what I said.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I think you have to look at how often you are breaking belts and compare cost to replace over a period of time if you want to judge "best" on cost of replacement.

If I break 2 OEM belts in 1 year and also break 2 Gates belt in 1 year, you may think Gates is no better but your cost to replace is much less over time. In my book, Gates still wins. $300 vs $150. I wouldn't rant that Gates sucks.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Ill be running the Gates this winter, but I won't be running the cvt cover. So mine won't be a good comparison to most people, but I will give updates none the less. I blew a stock belt at 430 miles. Then messed one up when the primary bolt broke at 500 miles. And now my third stock belt is worn out (too narrow). So I'd just like to get 1000 miles on the Gates and then change it out. It's noooooo fun holding up a group of Teryx's or rzr's while I change my Mav belt in the middle of the dunes!

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I think that's the issue we have right now is that the Maverick is still relatively new product so there hasn't been enough field experience to truly understand if the Gates is a better overall.

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like the last two comments. Funny how people blow out stock belts on every UTV, or break them etc but never say much about it but if they do the same thing with a aftermarket belt then they must be bad. When in fact it is not the belt at all but the conditions they are under. And I really like the way MIMAV is looking at it, on a cost basis.

No matter what way you are looking at it the Gates C12 for the Can Am, it is selling ok and no one has called to give me a piece of their mind on them so we are going to "assume" all is good. No news is good news.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts