Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I think you are pretty close on the numbers for cost. Years ago ebay used to let sellers charge extra for insurance and tracking (or signature confirmation). What they found is that virtually no one would pay for it as an option yet would still call and complain when an item was damaged or lost. People want the lowest price. In this industry it's really been proven over and over. I have customers who think on a $800 sale we are making $200-250 and are shocked to learn we made $60 on the net end. That's not the margin for everything, but it's not uncommon on wheel and tire kits. It's trying to balance keeping the price low while still getting the product there undamaged and on time. Unfortunately, this thread reflects 1 case that I am still waiting on the OP to get in touch next week so I can see what happened and therefore do not know what the cause is, and 1 case that obviously is related to USPS making a mistake on the second shipment and possibly us as well (on the first shipment), but it's one out of hundreds of shipments we do in a given week. I know it looks bad from your side, and trust me I HATE IT TOO, but it's also not significant in the scheme of things in regards to it making me feel that we need to totally change the way we ship and who we use. In other words, if you got a 50 pound bag of whole almonds and out of the thousands in the bag a handful were broken (and therefore not "whole" as advertised) when you opened it, would you never buy almonds from that company again? That's how I feel about USPS. They are not perfect, but they do a pretty good job for the money (unless you ask maverickmn!! ;) )
All of the shipping companies make mistakes, and there are guys that who have had items lost or damaged that have not posted here, so it's not like maverickmn is the only one. It's just the one we are dealing with in this discussion (and the OP once I figure out who he is!) I do appreciate the feedback from you guys. It's good to get not only the perspective from the guys like maverickmn who are affected and involved directly with the issue, but also from third parties since feedback is not as common as you would think. We usually get either "you guys ruined my life" when the item did not make it here by XXX date (usually by a guy who orders something with free ground shipping on Dec 24th for a Christmas present!) or "You guys are the best ever and I am going to name my first born "ATV OUTFITTERS", usually by a guy we did nothing out of the ordinary for, so we are pleased, but surprised by the compliment. It's good to just get general feedback on things like this. It's educational and it allows me to explain why we do some of the things we do in case there is a misconception about why we might handle orders in a certain way. I know some vendors would rather bribe off the OP and not reply in a hope to bury the thread, but I would rather discuss it, and see what I can learn about what we might have done wrong, or what we might do differently next time. I hope you guys can at least respect that
I will say you have done more to explain yourself and appear to be trying to make it right than a lot of vendors would have done. Hopefully you can get these two issues resolved and give people a positive opinion of you and your company.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I think you are pretty close on the numbers for cost. Years ago ebay used to let sellers charge extra for insurance and tracking (or signature confirmation). What they found is that virtually no one would pay for it as an option yet would still call and complain when an item was damaged or lost. People want the lowest price. In this industry it's really been proven over and over. I have customers who think on a $800 sale we are making $200-250 and are shocked to learn we made $60 on the net end. That's not the margin for everything, but it's not uncommon on wheel and tire kits. It's trying to balance keeping the price low while still getting the product there undamaged and on time. Unfortunately, this thread reflects 1 case that I am still waiting on the OP to get in touch next week so I can see what happened and therefore do not know what the cause is, and 1 case that obviously is related to USPS making a mistake on the second shipment and possibly us as well (on the first shipment), but it's one out of hundreds of shipments we do in a given week. I know it looks bad from your side, and trust me I HATE IT TOO, but it's also not significant in the scheme of things in regards to it making me feel that we need to totally change the way we ship and who we use. In other words, if you got a 50 pound bag of whole almonds and out of the thousands in the bag a handful were broken (and therefore not "whole" as advertised) when you opened it, would you never buy almonds from that company again? That's how I feel about USPS. They are not perfect, but they do a pretty good job for the money (unless you ask maverickmn!! ;) )
All of the shipping companies make mistakes, and there are guys that who have had items lost or damaged that have not posted here, so it's not like maverickmn is the only one. It's just the one we are dealing with in this discussion (and the OP once I figure out who he is!) I do appreciate the feedback from you guys. It's good to get not only the perspective from the guys like maverickmn who are affected and involved directly with the issue, but also from third parties since feedback is not as common as you would think. We usually get either "you guys ruined my life" when the item did not make it here by XXX date (usually by a guy who orders something with free ground shipping on Dec 24th for a Christmas present!) or "You guys are the best ever and I am going to name my first born "ATV OUTFITTERS", usually by a guy we did nothing out of the ordinary for, so we are pleased, but surprised by the compliment. It's good to just get general feedback on things like this. It's educational and it allows me to explain why we do some of the things we do in case there is a misconception about why we might handle orders in a certain way. I know some vendors would rather bribe off the OP and not reply in a hope to bury the thread, but I would rather discuss it, and see what I can learn about what we might have done wrong, or what we might do differently next time. I hope you guys can at least respect that
Ok but I was suggesting its an option for you not the buyer. Just raise the price slightly on the belts to include better shipping method. You would still be the cheapest vendor. As you say buyers want cheap prices and you would still have it. Case closed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok but I was suggesting its an option for you not the buyer. Just raise the price slightly on the belts to include better shipping method. You would still be the cheapest vendor. As you say buyers want cheap prices and you would still have it. Case closed.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I understand what you are saying. I was just explaining why we currently do things the way we do (not that we might not change that since it's a valid viewpoint you have). USPS just started putting $50.00 insurance on all priority flat rate packages on 8/1 so they are apparently changing their policies also. Now, whether you will want to do all of the red tape they want you to do to get that $50.00? That remains to be seen! LOL

·
Registered
25 Posts
I will say you have done more to explain yourself and appear to be trying to make it right than a lot of vendors would have done. Hopefully you can get these two issues resolved and give people a positive opinion of you and your company.
Fingers-Crossed. Thanks for the support and for taking the time to read my long-winded replies. Maybe my rambling is why I can only seem to handle about 20 calls a day before it's closing time??

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ordered Monday, shipped Tuesday, arrived on Saturday. Not sure usps figures that is 2 days, but it did arrive.
Don't you know that Wed and Thursday were government Holidays? ;););)

Truthfully, I do not know why that would be the case, but I do find it odd they have started saying "2 day" to areas that I would have guessed would take 3 (like the West Coast) all of the sudden.
Heck, I am just glad you got it the way this thread has gone.
:)

·
Registered
806 Posts
So, anyways. Has anyone ran this belt and is it better than brp. I have one and got it from hunterworks I think. About to get my qsc primary and want to know if I need to install a new brp belt or run the new gates belt that I have.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Bump.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think we have maverickmn taken care of (or at least working towards that direction since we are waiting on our good friends at USPS). I still have not heard from the OP so I could investigate exactly what the situation is. I understand his side, but I wanted to get his name so I could see if there was something on our end that explained the extremely long time for delivery. I think he was going to contact me on Tuesday, but I have waited a few extra days since I know people get busy. If you get this please call me with your info so I can check into it and see what we can do (or what we could have done differently).

We did add an option on our site for UPS shipping with confirmation/insurance as a change for people who want that option. We averaged the cost different across the different UPS zones and it came to about $9.00 for a single belt or $11.00 for two so we just called it $10.00. If we could be certain customers were shipping to a commercial address and were not outside a major city area it would be more like $3-4, but the surcharges on UPS really add up for residential and most of our customers are not living in the heart of Manhattan or Los Angeles! ;)
Not sure how many people will take advantage of that option, but I hope it at least shows we are listening to your suggestions.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Sorry That I didn't call on Tuesday when I said I would. When I got back from vegas on tuesday my crane operator called in sick and I am the only one onsite with the certification other than him, so I was pulling levers all day. I am in my office now.
Who should I ask for when I call.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry. For some reason the Maverick forum isn't telling me when we have a new post in the thread or a new PM. I just happened to log in to see if you might have PM'ed me. You can ask for me (Matthew) when you call.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
An update to the situation with Matt and I for all to see. We determined my local Post Office may be the main reason for the billion dollar shortfall for the past quarter the USPS reported to the Feds. As a result I am strapping up with TNT and running into the place yelling Allah Akbar soon. ;) Joking aside he worked with me and we found a solution that works for us both, and even built a stronger relationship as a result. I will definitely be recommending his services to my friends, and buying more in the future.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Good to hear man! Glad he worked it out with you and you are confident enough to refer your friends to him now….

21 - 34 of 34 Posts