Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting Nov. 1st Gates Corp is implementing a Minimum Advertising Pricing (MAP) policy. What this means is everyone selling them will not be allowed to "advertise" the belt at a price lower than the policy allows, for the C12 belts we carry that is $106.

The MAP policy does not and can not dictate what we sell them at, only what we advertise them at. To be clear, starting Nov 1st the belts on our site will be $106 but you can call in or e-mail in and still get the belt for the same price we sell them at now. After Nov. 1st I will not be allowed to say this in a public forum but an individual can. So after the first of Nov. if anyone on a forum says well it is $106, you are not breaking any rules by posting a comment that if you call Hunterworks you can get it at a lower price. We just can't do that after Nov. 1st but you can. So basically help me to help you.

The policy states no discounts, call in for lower pricing, rebates or any other public advertising that can make the price lower on a website or any other place is allowed.

I am repeating myself, it does not dictate what the actual selling price is, so simply call us for that price after Nov. 1st.

For the record, I am in agreement with Gates on this, it does protect the seller and belts themselves. People who are willing to make $5 on a $100 belt do exist but they will lower the value of the product over time and take out every one else selling the product and then the product goes away due to what we call whoring it out. If a legitimate business can not make a profit with it, they simply stop selling it then only people left are those who are willing to make nothing and they can't support the product and it goes away.

We feel our actual selling price is fair and most times less than 99% of anyone selling it plus you get someone who has the vehicles, uses this and many more of the products you are buying so we can do more than just "sell" you a product.

Hunterworks is way more concerned about selling a quality product, being able to support it and sell it at a fair price than trying to make a high profit on any particular product and in this case these belts.

I am asking that you help spread the word.

Thanks,
Todd

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So basically, we the consumer can still say what we paid (your lower price) for you on this forum? :smile:
Yes, I just can't. I can't even respond to it. After the 1st I can't do anything on any public forum or my website that states you can buy at a lower price.

While it would be very easy to just say, he dude they are $106 now I am trying to still make them a bargain and they are still a quality product.

Of course the Maverick belt is on backorder right now though but should have some quickly.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Todd,

Your a stand up guy......thanks for taking care of us and we will be sure to spread the word.

·
Registered
711 Posts
i believe what thats supposed to do, a company implementing a policy asking dealers to stay with their retail pricing, is to keep folks from blowing out inventory trying to be a top seller on ebay, and under cutting every small mom and pop shop. i have folks that do it to me all the time. kinda gets under my skin, hurts business, and makes me wonder why a company would work so hard, to sell items for $8-15 dollars profit. sure selling 100 items a day at 15 dollars profit is making money, rather than the mom and pop store trying to sell 1 belt a day and make the dealer margin of $35-45 per item. they may have needed that $40 profit to help pay bills. large volume guys who go out and under cut the rest of the world to be the biggest, may make you the big shot on the forums, but it hurts alot of other folks down the line who cant and wont compete, and lose the business and are stuck with inventory on the shelf they cant sell, and close their doors down because of it. i watched two of my friends, who owned the largest ATV/UTV aftermarket shop in the US, the largest online vendor there was, end up going under because of others who came in, under cut them at every chance to try to get as big as them, and ended up pushing them out of business. a multi million dollar a year sales outfit, went under because everybody online tried to out-do their prices. they got to where selling a set of tires and making $18-30 for a whole set of 4 tires just was not worth the hassle. i watched him bring prices down to stick with the other guys trying to under cut him. selling tires, not 1 tire for $18 profit, i mean selling a whole set of 4 tires and only making $18 profit. just drove them outta business

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We need to bump this thread once in a while.
I might have to remove it come Nov 1st as then I would be in violation of the policy. Of course I can't stop nor is it a problem with anyone else starting a thread every now and then pointing this out, I just can't do it.

·
Vendor
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i believe what thats supposed to do, a company implementing a policy asking dealers to stay with their retail pricing, is to keep folks from blowing out inventory trying to be a top seller on ebay, and under cutting every small mom and pop shop. i have folks that do it to me all the time. kinda gets under my skin, hurts business, and makes me wonder why a company would work so hard, to sell items for $8-15 dollars profit. sure selling 100 items a day at 15 dollars profit is making money, rather than the mom and pop store trying to sell 1 belt a day and make the dealer margin of $35-45 per item. they may have needed that $40 profit to help pay bills. large volume guys who go out and under cut the rest of the world to be the biggest, may make you the big shot on the forums, but it hurts alot of other folks down the line who cant and wont compete, and lose the business and are stuck with inventory on the shelf they cant sell, and close their doors down because of it. i watched two of my friends, who owned the largest ATV/UTV aftermarket shop in the US, the largest online vendor there was, end up going under because of others who came in, under cut them at every chance to try to get as big as them, and ended up pushing them out of business. a multi million dollar a year sales outfit, went under because everybody online tried to out-do their prices. they got to where selling a set of tires and making $18-30 for a whole set of 4 tires just was not worth the hassle. i watched him bring prices down to stick with the other guys trying to under cut him. selling tires, not 1 tire for $18 profit, i mean selling a whole set of 4 tires and only making $18 profit. just drove them outta business
I read and reread this, I can't tell if you are agreeing with me or pissed I put this up. Do you mind clarifying?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts

Adam,

I see your point and I get it. But web based business is here to stay and small business owners and store fronts need to find a way to adapt or risk being driven out of the market. You kind of answered your own question/comment.

"...makes me wonder why a company would work so hard, to sell items for $8-15 dollars profit. sure selling 100 items a day at 15 dollars profit is making money, rather than the mom and pop store trying to sell 1 belt a day and make the dealer margin of $35-45 per item. they may have needed that $40 profit to help pay bills."

Do the math...a $15 profit X 100 items = $1500. A $45 profit on a single item = $45. So ultimately what is better for business and consumers? I say the cheapest price to the consumer....granted we are talking about a product and not a service. As a service has a lot more value than a product since this is what keeps the customer coming back for more......So I personally am willing to spend a LITTLE bit more from a reputable supplier knowing that they will also provide me with pre and post sales service. The key as a business owner is pricing your goods at a competitive price and building a reputation that people are willing to assign a $$$ value to. This will allow you to charge higher prices than the web based high volume seller on eBay with a 95% POSITIVE FEEDBACK rating and still sell enough to keep the doors open.....but ultimately, if you can't beat them you must join them in order to survive.

Reactions: Hunting721

·
Registered
189 Posts
I agree with the $18 dollars profit for set of tires would be ridiculous. But, a set of four tires on your shelf compared to four belts, is a huge difference in space being occupied for the amount of profit being made. For that fact, you could have forty or fifty belts in a box that would take the same amount of space as just one tire.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts