Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had Gary do the full shocks and springs on my Xrs. The transformation is nothing short of astounding. Top notch work and a great guy. Have to say this thing really runs smooth now, and can even fly! Learned a lot about the internals and how much goes into to making the stock shocks work much better. Nothing but good things to say here.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Just had Gary do the full shocks and springs on my Xrs. The transformation is nothing short of astounding. Top notch work and a great guy. Have to say this thing really runs smooth now, and can even fly! Learned a lot about the internals and how much goes into to making the stock shocks work much better. Nothing but good things to say here.
Yeah its crazy how technical it is inside those IBP Fox shocks. Gary and Tom have them dialed in thats for sure. What people dont always know is that Tom and Gary have been friends for damn near there entire lives and they have been working and playing in the Offroad racing world for ever and have so much experience that cant be matched when it comes down to this kind of shock tuning.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Suspension to full Potential...

Thanks so much Mate from Canada... It was a pleasure meeting you and your beautiful wife. Now post some pictures of your X3 and show others all your mods! You have an amazing car and lots of useful accessories.

I'm glad you now see the potential your CanAm X3 XRS has. For people to understand, Iain and I took the girls for a ride to the Desert Bar in Parker one Sunday last month. It's a fun trail full of rocks and tight turns. Iain thought his car worked pretty well after he had his shocks tuned by another member here on the forum. After about half way down the trail following 6 other side by side besides Iain's X3 I go tired of going 15-20mph and passed everyone and headed down the rocky trail at twice the speed. Some sections have round rocks between the size of grapefruits and footballs. With the proper tires and suspension we flew down the trail at 40 plus miles per hour in comfort. Once Iain and other saw my car float through these rocks they were all amazed! Iain, took his shocks off the very next day and handed them to me and his words were... "I want the full boogy" Darn Canadians... What the hell does that mean?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That means take no prisoners, suspension, shocks, springs. This thing has 24” of travel, like a trophy truck, so it should run with the best. Now it does. What UTVshocks does is fix all the shortcomings from stock, and compensate for the extras in weight with better springs. Can’t say enough. Reallly happy now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got the updated data and setup sheet from Gary. Class act, not only top quality parts but you get a full list of the recommended settings and actual adjusted settings for the car with all the spring and shock specs, good info.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Used a guy in Canada who setup trucks, prefer not to use names, but he did make the stock shocks ride better than factory.
I also roadcourse vette, my Lingenfelter has full coil conversion, so I do a bit of tuning myself.
Mostly by increasing ride height and closing down some of the valving. Much like some people of the other tuners here have suggested. Took full preload from those 3rd helper springs from th factory. Might as well take those out.
What can’t be compensated for is that the stock shocks simply lack all the valve tuning that Gary adds. I added the full spring kit, as my machine is got a few accessories; ProBox top, rear box, LinQ rack, 32’s, winch and bumpers, and lots of armour. Probably in kit.
Even wth all that, I watched Gary jump her off a nice whoop, and she came down smooth as silk.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I had Tom do mine 4 seater XRS already and I ran them at Glamisnorth North hot springs area and it was like driving a Cadillac. Money well spent! When I hit deep whoops at 45 to 50 mph my wife was grabbing For handles and bars and putting on her imaginary brakes. My kids were yelling FASTeR!

Reactions: Baja and Snapper692

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
How do you think this setup will work in the woods ? I want my suspension done on my X3 RS but I don't know how a suspension tuned in the desert will work in the mountains.

·
Registered
637 Posts
How do you think this setup will work in the woods ? I want my suspension done on my X3 RS but I don't know how a suspension tuned in the desert will work in the mountains.
I talked with Gary many times and he is a wealth of knowledge. Tom physically valved/bypass tube mod/spring my shocks do to distance from my home in relation to Gary. When I dropped them off to Tom he was very informative and asked questions regarding the cars intended use and added accessories. Hands down the best mod I should have done to the stock car initially other than harnesses (17 rs).

Give Gary a call. As I have said before, he will earn your business.

My car has a night and day better ride/handling at all speeds revalved than ANY recommended adjusted stock shock ride height/external valving adjustments I tried. The slow speed square edge/rock garden plushness and high speed bump suppression is amazing. The rear bucking is gone. And unlike the stock shocks you can adjust firmness into Gary's setup if you need it rather than hopelessly trying to get plushness out of the stock ones.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I talked with Gary many times and he is a wealth of knowledge. Tom physically valved/bypass tube mod/spring my shocks do to distance from my home in relation to Gary. When I dropped them off to Tom he was very informative and asked questions regarding the cars intended use and added accessories. Hands down the best mod I should have done to the stock car initially other than harnesses (17 rs).

Give Gary a call. As I have said before, he will earn your business.

My car has a night and day better ride/handling at all speeds revalved than ANY recommended adjusted stock shock ride height/external valving adjustments I tried. The slow speed square edge/rock garden plushness and high speed bump suppression is amazing. The rear bucking is gone. And unlike the stock shocks you can adjust firmness into Gary's setup if you need it rather than hopelessly trying to get plushness out of the stock ones.
What TrailExplorer said. My shock have been set as the softest they can be and they worked flawlessly hitting the trails hard. When I go to the dunes for Thanksgiving I will be able to stiffen the shocks up if I happen to bottom out to easily. Lots of adjustment and still have a plush ride over the chop.

Reactions: warlock

·
Registered
2,067 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Could you please pass along Gary's contact information?
Here is Toms that tested with Gary and Eibach. He lives in Santa Ana which would be closer for you.
Thats who I had my work done thru. 949 500 1586

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Here's his X3 write up. Good stuff. Had mine done a couple weeks ago and will finally get to test it this weekend. Can't wait.
UTV Shocks - OFF ROAD SUSPENSION - HOME

Gary Fries in Havasu *(714) 390-3172‬
give him a call if you want the best experience money can buy for your X3.
Just took A good buddy out for a burn today.
He road the machine wth my previous settings, which did make a bg difference to the stock setup.
I purposely hit a 2’ high hill in the trail with my left front tire, at about 30mph.
Buddy thought he was going to hit the roof without his belt on.
We went over that like it was a small speed bump in a lot.
He was sold then, just hear telling the story tonight in the bar made me chuckle.
unbelievable

·
Registered
5,752 Posts

He road the machine wth my previous settings, which did make a bg difference to the stock setup.
I purposely hit a 2’ high hill in the trail with my left front tire, at about 30mph.
He was sold then, just hear telling the story tonight in the bar made me chuckle.
unbelievable
Yeah its hard for people to really get it, until they ride in one of his cars then there believers.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts

unbelievable
Custom eibach springs or off the shelf kit?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts