Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried this? It looks like it might turn a tablet into actual an GPS. I've been looking for some more information on it and I see some videos on the interweb that are 4 years old so it's definitely been around a while. Anyone have one?

https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/p/109827

IMG_0935.PNG

·
Registered
274 Posts
It looks like this is only the GPS receiver. You will still have to use an app on your laptop to actually use the coordinates provided by the GLO to track you on streets or trails.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But in theory it should track you with true GPS not just triangluation? Hopefully it's decent, I'm gonna try it.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
It's just a GPS receiver. The best one on the market is probably the DualGPS 160. You can connect to five different devices simultaneously.

Many tablets have a GPS receiver built in already that are plenty fine for trail riding. For racing, the DualGPS puck or similar device can get you a better line of sight to the sky without worrying about interference from the roof or other parts of the car, plus they refresh at ten times per second rather than once per second like most tablets. Most of these pucks last about 8 hours on a charge so you'll need to find a way to plug it in to power if you're going on long rides with it. I have one but I rarely feel the need to use it since my iPad has gps that works fine for prerunning and trail riding.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Which app are you using for your I Pad? Do need anything else for off road trail riding. I'm in lake Havasu AZ and not very tech
savvy, but I've got the I Pad. shoe

·
Premium Member
7,473 Posts
I have the glo. It is just the antenna but gives you access to Russian satellites as well. Always has me located down to no more than 5 feet even in the most desolate of places. Use it with my tablet.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I have one that I never used for sale for anyone is looking...

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They have GPS but it runs off Cell Tower Triangulation not signals from Outer Space. I haven't seen a tablet with true GPS on it other than the Rand McNally TND for Truckers. I don't know how it would do off-road and if you could get a water / dirt proof case for it which would be needed.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just picked pne up. Seems to work well and updates quickly. Have not had a chance to take it backwoods as yet. So far, I like it.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
They have GPS but it runs off Cell Tower Triangulation not signals from Outer Space. I haven't seen a tablet with true GPS on it other than the Rand McNally TND for Truckers. I don't know how it would do off-road and if you could get a water / dirt proof case for it which would be needed.
This is simply not true.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm running a tablet with GAIA GPS app, works great for back woods riding with absolutely no cell service for hours.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
If your tablet or phone has a GPS in it, then it has a GPS. Some people get confused because some tablets don't have a GPS so they use wifi locations and cell towers to triangulate an approximate position.

Some people think the latter is what is known as assisted GPS, or a poor man's version of GPS. But that isn't what assisted GPS is at all. Anybody who regularly uses a gps knows that it takes a few seconds or even a few minutes for it to obtain a lock when you turn it on, depending on how long it's been off and how far it's moved since it was used. This process is called initialization.

Waiting for a phone or tablet to initialize every time it lost lock due to moving in and out of satellite view would be terrible. So what it does is use both position keeping methods, gps and triangulation. This is why you can walk outside your house and instantly have accurate gps location on your phone and not have to wait for it to initialize. It already knows where it is within a few hundred feet or so which makes the initialization process almost instant.

So again if your tablet specs say it has GPS it's accurate and doesn't need cell towers.

Reactions: MichiganMav

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes, my tablet has a internal GPS. I use my Garmin GPS and Tablet with GAIA side by side and it works great. My GAIA works so well I don't bother with my Garmin. I love what I can do with the large screen and app for saving rides, time moving and time idle. Way points are very easy to mark, and so on.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
From what I have learned the tablets that come with GPS is the ones that are set up for cell service. On my I pad I don't have a provider I just link it to my phone to to download tiles. When riding without any cell service the gps tracks very well and does not require any service to work but if you have not downloaded the tiles in the area you are riding it will track you movements but won't have terrain to display.
I use Motion x and topo maps+ for my GPS apps. The motion X will let you set a code and share it with riding buddies and it will display their location on your gps and your an theirs. Is a wonderful tool when groups get separated. The only down side is it does require service to share locations.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Ride command and iPad works well! You can create a ride and see friends on the map too! You can download offline maps. Honestly the only useful Polaris product out there:)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts