Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,041 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Looks like Galfer also offers rotors, don’t think they are over sized though, I’ll probably just get the pads , Galfer stuff looks pretty good.

·
Premium Member
9,041 Posts
Looks like Galfer also offers rotors, don’t think they are over sized though, I’ll probably just get the pads , Galfer stuff looks pretty good.
Galfer dirt bike brakes are about as good as it gets.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
isen't 270mm just about stock for the X3?
My X3 is in the shop 3 hours away or I would measure. Anyone out there able to do this?

I will say that looking at the photos it seems like the relocating brackets for the calipers move them out an inch or so which would be 25mm....meaning stick is maybe closer to 240mm...10ish inches. While an inch in diameter may not seem like much it’s quite a bit more friction area in circumference as the rotor turns. The science is sound. Bigger rotor equals more stopping power via surface area and if I’m not mistaken the actual physics of having the pressure points further out in the rotating mass is more efficient too.

Like someone else said, I’m kinda willing to try anything at this point to improve the brakes....

·
Premium Member
6,480 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What is interesting is when you change brake kits on the streamline site the specs dont change. Tim

https://streamlinebrakes.com/products/30-atv-front-brake-rotors.html#/utv_big_brake_kit-rzr_turbo_s_rear_kit_16_18_add_40_00
I just pulled up the PDF specs for my XRS I had forgotten I had saved...same stock measurements mentioned above.

Regarding the lack of difference in the front/rear Streamline specs: I’m guessing the 270mm would fit the rear with the appropriate caliper placement....I mean there is definitely the same amount of space inside the wheel right? I would guess the difference in the front/rear kits is probably with the caliper brackets. At a minimum they sit in different locations on the respective knuckles....

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
For the rear going from 248mm to 270mm would be very effective and well worth the money.
For the ront, going from 262mm to 270, I'd pay 50 bucks, no more. The front should go to 285-290mm to have an balanced effect.
Going to 270mm front and rear would be dangerous.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For the rear going from 248mm to 270mm would be very effective and well worth the money.
For the ront, going from 262mm to 270, I'd pay 50 bucks, no more. The front should go to 285-290mm to have an balanced effect.
Going to 270mm front and rear would be dangerous.
Can you elaborate on why same size rotors would be dangerous? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Isnt ~80% of your stopping power in the front brakes? Hell I ripped the back brake off my dune quad years ago and havent missed it a bit. Front brakes are where its at especially in the sand

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Can you elaborate on why same size rotors would be dangerous? Thanks.
The rears would lock up long before the fronts would effectivly slow down the car.
Stepping on the brakes in a turn and the rears locking up will give you a spinnout, and at the wrong time, a rollover.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
^^My thoughts exactly but if someone does try it you could always add a bias control. I would like to hear how just a front conversion works. I question if there is enough change in diameter on the fronts to tell a difference.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
^^My thoughts exactly but if someone does try it you could always add a bias control. I would like to hear how just a front conversion works. I question if there is enough change in diameter on the fronts to tell a difference.
In the front the brake lever action increase would be 3%, in the rear it would be close to 9%

I would like to see 290mm for the rear and 325mm for the front.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts