Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my Mav out to Little Sahara in Oklahoma today for its maiden dune voyage. It was really good, but thrashed a front axle. I'm new at this SxS thing, so I'm looking for some advice. I broke the outboard "knuckle" on the axle and it really surprised me. I haven't seen a lot of complaints about the axles and I want to make sure I'm not doing anything stupid. I enjoy using the FWD while jumping. I feel like I have more control with the FWD and I'm afraid of losing traction while jumping slightly and lawn darting the damn thing. So... Am I abusing the FWD? Should I keep it pinned in 2WD and not worry about losing traction? Also, I do alot of very aggressive trail riding. Could I have damaged it accelerating too hard and cranking the wheel. Remember, I'm in sand. The last thing and most likely the obvious reason for my short weekend of riding... My uncle rolled it back at home and bent a tie rod and lower a-arm, but haven't gotten the parts in to fix it yet. Its driveable and today was most likely the last decent day of riding before the summer heat sets in, so I took it out. Could this be the main factor in thrashing this axle. Sorry for the lengthy post. Thanks!

·
Registered
707 Posts
I'm from Oklahoma to and run in 4wd about 95% of the time. Only time I'm not its diving down a dirt road or on pavement. Just let off the gas before you land the jump.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Axle problems on the same side as the bent tie rod and bent A arm? If so, I would guess that there was more damage than you thought.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I also drive in 4wd most of the time when in the dunes. Yes you need to let off the gas before you land. This is exactly why they have a shaft saver.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Axle problems on the same side as the bent tie rod and bent A arm? If so, I would guess that there was more damage than you thought.
x2 if all this is on the same side then its prolly your problem

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
4wd lessens the strain of the drive system but if you are driving it like Ivan Stewart then anything can happen

·
Registered
1,255 Posts

·
Registered
6,621 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys! Good to hear that I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary. I'm sure the bent a-arm and tie rod were the culprits or the wreck did it in, but I finished it off.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Play-Doh.... He F*cked that up for anybody that had a chance in hell at sitting behind the wheel. It ain't happenin. So, anybody price an OEM axle??? $400 range is what I've seen. F'in rediculous. The axle itself didn't break. It was just the outer CV joint I'm pretty sure. Does anybody rebuild these dudes? I've seen posts on here about axles being made by Rhino and Gorilla. Does ANYBODY have some factory take off's? I'd take one or the set! Also, nobody is listing prices for the the aftermarket axles yet that I can see, but I'm sure they're available. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Make a new post about take offs or call catvos or s3 power sports maybe they have some take offs. 200$ should be a fair price for a new take off axle. Also ck out the maverick addiction on Facebook and post about take offs on it. Maybe u can find some there.
Look in the for sale section on here, u might get lucky

·
Registered
95 Posts
My dad actually just ordered Gorillas all around for his so he might have a set of take-offs in the coming weeks. From what I understand he was quoted ~$400 per axle.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I like to run in 2wd at the dunes, I run at Gordons Well. i think its much more fun to drive in 2wd, it slides around more and i didnt see much of a difference when duning. only time i really used 4wd is when i wanted to clime the big hills or got in a tight spot

·
Registered
707 Posts
I like to run in 2wd at the dunes, I run at Gordons Well. i think its much more fun to drive in 2wd, it slides around more and i didnt see much of a difference when duning. only time i really used 4wd is when i wanted to clime the big hills or got in a tight spot
Really hard on your belt running in 2wd in the sand

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I kinda think its easier on your belt in the sand in two wheel cause your rear tires will spin and let the motor rev higher, whereas in four wheel you've got good traction and it'll lug the motor down a little. I have been going back and forth at Glamis, and I still prefer four wheel. But that's with stock tires.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have been told by a lot of people to not run in the sand in 2wd! Said its a heavy load on the CVT to get the machine moving in the sand. I could be wrong though. I hardly ever take mine out of 4wd. It steers better and pulls harder IMO

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Play-Doh.... He F*cked that up for anybody that had a chance in hell at sitting behind the wheel. It ain't happenin. So, anybody price an OEM axle??? $400 range is what I've seen. F'in rediculous. The axle itself didn't break. It was just the outer CV joint I'm pretty sure. Does anybody rebuild these dudes? I've seen posts on here about axles being made by Rhino and Gorilla. Does ANYBODY have some factory take off's? I'd take one or the set! Also, nobody is listing prices for the the aftermarket axles yet that I can see, but I'm sure they're available. Thanks again!
I think if you find someone that added a LT kit, you will get a better deal than buying new.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts