Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the Mav out for the first time in Winchester Oregon for Dunefest. I was running skat 10 paddle on the rear and smooth buff on the front. The thing felt pretty much unstoppable. The sand was very soft and dry as it hasn't rained in the pacific northwest much at all this summer.
The Mav made it up all the big dunes with ease in 2wd. I hit 8000 rpm every time I floored the throttle. I beat my buddies xp900 in drags and hills, he was running douglas doonz paddles and dirt fronts in 4wd.
After the first ride getting back to camp, I noticed the driver side front tie rod was bent. WTF, I didn't even hit anything hard?
I had the HOLZ tie rods and tried to put them on, but they wouldn't fit. They were drilled and tapped wrong.
Oh well I drove it for 2 more days until it horse shoed and was undrivable. Had to have a Jeep with a rear mouted winch pick the front off the ground and drag my azz to the pavement where I was able to remove the fugged up tie rod and get it into the trailer.
I got the right tie rods from HOLZ yesterday and put everything back together.
Can Am should not be putting these tie rods on this machine, I don't care if they would have warrantied them. I would not put stockers back on my machine.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
That sucks and now you have me worried about my tierods, because I also bought the Holz racing ties rods. I havent tried to put mine on yet.
What did they say about them?
Did you have to return them first?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If they sent you the wrong ones you should have gotten a voice mail saying that. When I talked to them yesterday I was told that only some of the ones that went out were drilled and tapped at the wrong size. By the time I called yesterday morning he had already sent new ones and they were on my doorstep when I got home last night.
That is truely great customer service! I believe that HOLZ is one of the good ones and would reccomend to all!

edit: I did not have to send them back and when I asked about it he said that he would be in touch if they wanted them returned.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
If they sent you the wrong ones you should have gotten a voice mail saying that. When I talked to them yesterday I was told that only some of the ones that went out were drilled and tapped at the wrong size. By the time I called yesterday morning he had already sent new ones and they were on my doorstep when I got home last night.
That is truely great customer service! I believe that HOLZ is one of the good ones and would reccomend to all!

edit: I did not have to send them back and when I asked about it he said that he would be in touch if they wanted them returned.
Well thats good news. My car is at a shop getting a cage built so I cant check them.
At least it doesnt sound like a big hassle.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Salomon,You weren't the only one that bent tierods on a Mav. We camped at Coos, and say a Mav that had a taco'ed tie rod from hitting a grass knoll out on the dunes. Did you see the Mav at vender row of dunefest that had the tierods made out of plumbers pipe, I got a good chuckle out of it.
Curious on what type of top speed you saw with your paddles up there.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the fastest i saw was 65mph before i ran out of room, but i was not trying for a top speed run

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
When the replacement tie rods come in at CT, i'm gonna be first on the list. I dont want to break down

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I never had a issue with the stockers but figured since I added p/s and play on the rocks now & then it was a necessity.

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
Salomon, on a different subject have you done a write up on here about the difference between the XP1000 and the Maverick after your test drive in one? If so do you have a link

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I posted what i thought in the thread that i started about driving it. I think it is in the general section.
Honestly it is not light years ahead of the Maverick. It is noticably more powerful and seemed quicker off the line, but it was on dirt tires in 4wd and i drive mine in 2wd with paddles and smoothies. Not a fair compare since i'm not sure how mine feels with dirt tires and 4wd in the sand. It is a nice machine but our seats are way more comfortabe and hold you in a lot better. The interior on the xp is kinda cheesy, the mav wins with interior fit and finish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts