Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have there fuel pump fuse pop, took off out of wash 11 (Glamis) and about 100 yards the Maverick felt like it lost power and just shut off. I tried to restart is to no avail towed it back to camp (by a RZR) only to find out about 1/2 later my fuel pump 5 amp fuse was blown, any ideas????

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
u replaced it and its been fine ?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
When I first got my Commander the 5 amp fuel pump fuse popped twice in about 3 hours. I spent several hours checking the fuel pump and going thru the wiring harness looking for a short. I was at Durham town for a rally race and after driving 14 hours to get there I just stuck a 10 amp and never looked back. That's been 3 years.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
hmmm.....the Fule pump is on it's own circuit. If it blew the fuse, I would put a meter on it while it is off and see if you have a short to ground. Do you happen to have a fault code present?

P-CODE MODULE DESCRIPTION CAUSE ACTION

Code - P0231

Symptom - Fuel Pump circuit shorted to ground, or open circuit. Blown fuse, damaged or disconnected fuel pump, damaged circuit wires, damaged connectors or damaged ECM output pins.

Corrective Action - Check fuse, Measure voltage between harness connector FP-B and ground (Expected value: 11 to 13 volts). Measure resistance on the fuel pump connector between terminals B and C (Expected value: < 2 ohms) Measure resistance from harness connector: ECMB-M1 to FP-C (Expected value: < 2 ohms) Measure voltage between harness connector FP-C and ground (Expected value: 0 volts)

Code - P0232

Symptom - Fuel Pump circuit shorted to battery +. Damaged fuel pump, damaged circuit wires, damaged connectors or damaged ECM output pins.

Corrective Action - Check fuse. Measure voltage between harness connector FP-B and ground (Expected value: 11 to 13 volts). Measure resistance on the fuel pump connector between terminals B and C (Expected value: < 2 ohms). Measure resistance from harness connector: ECMB-M1 to FP-C (Expected value: < 2 ohms). Measure voltage between harness connector FP-C and ground (Expected value: 0 volts)

·
Registered
7,381 Posts

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
Anybody have there fuel pump fuse pop, took off out of wash 11 (Glamis) and about 100 yards the Maverick felt like it lost power and just shut off. I tried to restart is to no avail towed it back to camp (by a RZR) only to find out about 1/2 later my fuel pump 5 amp fuse was blown, any ideas????
Yup, popped three of them. Did the bad thing and put a 10amp in. Zero problems and after talking with the lead tech of the dealer he said I would have zero issues running the bigger fuse. Haven't had a problem since and probably never will. I packed the fuse block full of dielectric grease when I did it.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Sounds like I'll be putting a 10 amp in tomorrow! I hate breaking down in the middle of nowhere!
I bought a pack of 100 assorted fuses on eBay for like $3 shipped and keep them in a little kit in my glove box as cheap insurance. I would venture to guess that the cause of the blown fuse is a poor connection. I would reseat all associated connections and ensure they are clean and in good condition and apply dielectric grease liberally prior to reconnecting them.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good information I went thru the steps and all that came up was "NO Active Fault Code" Now I did already replace the fuse would the fault code show up even after I replace the fuse.

·
Premium Member
8,284 Posts
Yup, popped three of them. Did the bad thing and put a 10amp in. Zero problems and after talking with the lead tech of the dealer he said I would have zero issues running the bigger fuse. Haven't had a problem since and probably never will. I packed the fuse block full of dielectric grease when I did it.
great info, thanks

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Good information I went thru the steps and all that came up was "NO Active Fault Code" Now I did already replace the fuse would the fault code show up even after I replace the fuse.
Most likely not. I think you would need to run a diagnostic on the BUDS to see any historical codes that were flagged. It sounds like a common issue so, I wouldn't be to concerned with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts