Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018.5 Can Am Maverick X3 XRS
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have been discussed already (hopefully), but I would like to use the Can-Am pre runner front bumper (for BD XL80's) and would like to use a warn winch, BUT while I'm in there, put a gusset kit and/or shock tower brace of some sort (S3 or CT) but not sure what fits or not (mutually exclusive parts), any suggestions or previous threads on this? Or am I over thinking it...

P.S. For the '18 X3 RS SmartLok flavor...

JC

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just did this last weekend. Ct gusset needs to be modified but the s3 gusset kit will bolt right up to the pre runner bumper. Its a full days job, and a second set of hands are nice. If you use the s3 kit, you will only use these 3 pieces. The bumper replaces the flat piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I would prefer a bolt up kit, not wanting to modificate things. Was is necessary to remove all that equipment?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Thank you, I would prefer a bolt up kit, not wanting to modificate things. Was is necessary to remove all that equipment?
Yes, you have to remove all that. The front clip, move radiator up, swing shocks out of the way, pull the axle and diff. Definitely an all day job and need a second set of hands especially when installing the rear lower a arm brace

2018 X3 XDS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
422 Posts
This may have been discussed already (hopefully), but I would like to use the Can-Am pre runner front bumper (for BD XL80's) and would like to use a warn winch, BUT while I'm in there, put a gusset kit and/or shock tower brace of some sort (S3 or CT) but not sure what fits or not (mutually exclusive parts), any suggestions or previous threads on this? Or am I over thinking it...

P.S. For the '18 X3 RS SmartLok flavor...

JC
Our Kit (S3 Power Sports) Will fit with the Canam Prerunner/winch bumpers without modification to the bumpers or the gusset kit. You can also combo that kit with the shock tower brace to really strengthen the front of the X3! We did this exact thing on the unit below. (See Link). The gusset kit does take some time but it is necessary. We build and design all of our products here for these machines based on necessity. Whenever we see an issue or potential issue, we attack it and thats why we have the parts we do and they are designed for specific reasons. The gusset kit is absolutely one of the best upgrades you can do on your machine to not only strengthen the frame but to make all the a arm mounting points double shear as well. If you have any questions at all, give us a call at the shop and we will do the best we can to take care of you!! 855-221-7097.

https://s3powersports.com/2017-can-am-maverick-x3-x-rs-gsi-racing-marc-gemellaro/

·
Registered
149 Posts
I went with the CT because S3 requires you to remove the diff and CT does not. I have the pre runner bumper and you only need to drill 2 holes in the bumper so 2 bolts can go thru it.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank You! I may do that! I may just go with S3 for other hard parts, rear trailing arms, rear plate thingy, rock guards, shock tower brace, gusset kit... Seems like a good start?!
JC

·
Registered
829 Posts
I've done the same setup with a CT Raceworx Gusset kit. It's definitely more of a pain than the S3 kit but you need to drill 4 holes through the CT Gusset front plate for the aluminum spacer block to mount to the bumper.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've done the same setup with a CT Raceworx Gusset kit. It's definitely more of a pain than the S3 kit but you need to drill 4 holes through the CT Gusset front plate for the aluminum spacer block to mount to the bumper.
I am going with CT as it says you dont have to remove the Diff. One guy says 2 holes.. do you have any pics? Thanks

·
Registered
2020 Maverick X3 MAX XRS TURBO RR
97 Posts
I just installed the CT bombproof gusset kit and S3 shock tower brace by myself. You can do it alone.....

Regarding the CT bombproof gusset kit, I didn't have to drill any holes and I didn't have to remove the diff, I only loosened up the diff bolts to give the diff some wiggle room. I used the grinder twice. To grind off the front lower a arm studs as mentioned in the instructions and also to grind and flatten out the stock bumper so it sits flat once you put it back on. I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned in the CT instructions.

Regarding the S3 shock tower brace you do have to open up 2 existing holes to 21/64, I used 5/16 instead. Then you also have to drill two holes basically in the same location as 2 existing rivets.

Couple things to make sure you have that are somewhat uncommon. T30 torx, T20 torx, 18mm wrench, 18mm deep and regular sockets and a torque wrench capable to atleast 80ft lbs since and blue loctite! Where are you located? Maybe I can help. Any other questions, do not hesitate to reach out to me and PM me.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Sorry it appears I have an older version of their gusset kit. Looking at the Bombproof kit though you shouldn't have any issues or need to modify anything.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The front gusset is a ton of work. The best $125 I ever paid to let Nash install it to not have to mess with it.
To add to the others I have the can am pre runner bumper with the s3 gusset and all fits fine. I have a Geiser shock tower brace I went with because I wanted it double sheer. All fit with one another perfectly. Biggest PIA was the trimming of the plastics for the bypass tubes to clear when installing the shock tower brace. Geiser’s you have to flip since it’s double sheer and the bypass won’t fit inside like factory.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts