Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mines been gone so long I don’t remember if you can zip tie it up good. But that or just pull it off and drive it. Sure way to know if it’s the source of the noise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello all. I’ve noticed a knocking sound in the front end of my x3 when going through bumpy conditions. Here is a video of us today @ the Badlands in IN. (Had to get kids out of house, & maintained our social distancing at all times!). You can hear the knocking as the machine goes over bumps when it gets closer to the camera

Cou you guys check this out and tell me if this is normal? If no, any ideas?

thanks
Funny, when I first purchased my x3 i had a noise very similar. it turned out to be something, a wrench I think, banging around in the glove box. took it to dealer and all.. funny thing is, dealer couldnt figure it out either. .i did when i got it back home

·
Registered
499 Posts
I’m putting limit straps in the front of mine this week, looking into if I should pull the sway bar off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
I’m putting limit straps in the front of mine this week, looking into if I should pull the sway bar off.

I did. I don’t run front sway bar . Ca tech limit straps eibach springs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Super frustrated with this. I disconnected the links on one side and duct taped them tight to the sway bar so no rattle.

found some bumps, and grrrrrr...the knock is still there. Considering limit straps but I’m not sure that will fix it as the sound doesnt seem to happen exclusively when the suspension is fully extended.

open to any other suggestions people may have. The sound is very clear in the video as the machine gets closer.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
I don’t have time to go back and read all the posts bit have went through and checked all nuts and bolts? Even the ones that suck to get to.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hate to suggest but have you searched the frame for fractures or loose ball joints and lug nuts sometimes it’s a simple thing

Keep in mind find a sandy area and try and repeat the noise

Bummer man patients you’ll get it

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ive checked the shock bolts where they attach to frame at top and A arms at the bottom. All tight.

Have not removed shocks to flip them. Machine only has 150 miles and has been doing this since mile 1.

gonna crawl under again tonight and see if I missed any bokts.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
You only checked shock bolts? A arm bolts , tie rod end nuts, ball joints. Check everything before you say you’re getting pissed. Jack up the machine and look.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
You only checked shock bolts? A arm bolts , tie rod end nuts, ball joints. Check everything before you say you’re getting pissed. Jack up the machine and look.

No I’ve checked everything. Just responding to earlier suggestion.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Gotcha not trying to be be a dick . Been of bunch of people bitching about stuff with no intentions to try and find the reasons. Mine has a clunk and thunk crime time to time and only one certain situations. I’ve found loose lower front a arm bolts a couple times but still not completely noise free. I’ve tore the whole front end apart trying to find what the deal is. I think it’s noise from the shocks. I bought brand new ibp shocks off a 2020 xrc rr a month ago. Still have a noise but nothing major.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ive checked the shock bolts where they attach to frame at top and A arms at the bottom. All tight.
Have you tried increasing/firming up the front shocks high speed compression? or adding preload up front?

its clearly a front end only issue, and it’s noticeable when the front arms are working (possibly clunking in more than one position/seemingly randomly - as the car was shifting weight from one side to the other the noise would switch sides?)

anyway, I watched the film 27 times in slo-mo who shot JFK forensic mode and I think you should look at the shock settings (up front) for now. add high speed comp (+2 clicks both fronts then retest, add +2 more) and poss some preload.

·
Registered
499 Posts
That’s why I was leaning towards a shock bolt it almost looks like they might be bottoming out the front shocks actually have a bump stops?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks guys!!

I too have watched the video 50+ times in slow mode etc. I’ve been thinking shocks too but thought doing the fox recommended tune 100 miles ago should have that dialed in.

In watching the video it seems it’s happening when shocks are fully compressed (assuming video and audio are synched). Hooking links back up now, gonna dig for more bolts and then stiffen this thing up and see what happens.

I’ll report back. Sincere thanks to all of you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Got the tractor out and made a series of bumps in my prairie to figure this out. After stiffening the high speed compression it went away!!! Thanks for all your input.

As soon as it went away I began to notice some squeaking whenever shocks compressed. After greasing & lubricating everything that moves on the front end it persisted. Jacked it up and disconnected the shocks which allowed me to determine if it was the shocks or somewhere else.

Tracked it down to the sway bar, despite tons of grease it was still squeaking. I disconnected them, lubed again while rotating the sway bar all the way back and forth.

my front end is quiet....for now

·
Registered
46 Posts
Excellent, glad to help. amazing how well these shocks respond to just a few clicks. Keep in mind that the ride will be rougher/stiffer for everyone. also, don’t hesitate to go back if you can get used to the suspension cycling more freely/noisily, it will be a more cushy ride (In especially rough terrain).

21 - 39 of 39 Posts