Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I’ve noticed a knocking sound in the front end of my x3 when going through bumpy conditions. Here is a video of us today @ the Badlands in IN. (Had to get kids out of house, & maintained our social distancing at all times!). You can hear the knocking as the machine goes over bumps when it gets closer to the camera

Could you guys check this out and tell me if this is normal? If no, any ideas?

thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah, that’s the front a arms (when shocks at full extension) banging and the sway bar links clacking around which is normal.

if that annoys you you can add limit straps, upgrade the sway bar and links and poss. add some preload to the fronts maybe? Shes sitting low if you ask me, but you didn’t ask about that. I’ve done shock therapy so don’t really have these issues as it’s tuned nicely.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Check all bolts etc on the front end, A arms, shock mounts, sway bars and links, steering rack, ball joints, and even wheel bearings if you get the front end up off the ground for a few minutes. Yank on stuff, see if anything rattles. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions! I did tune the shocks to fox specs which raised it several inches (I know this is not as good as upgrading). I greased the bearings and dug around for loose bolts / nuts as soon I got it home. One of the sway bar links was loose.

I’m mostly trying to find out if this is normal. If others with stock front end hear similar knocking when extended.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions! I did tune the shocks to fox specs which raised it several inches (I know this is not as good as upgrading). I greased the bearings and dug around for loose bolts / nuts as soon I got it home. One of the sway bar links was loose.

I’m mostly trying to find out if this is normal. If others with stock front end hear similar knocking when extended.
Mine never made any noise unless the swaybar links were loose. I run straps and no swaybar now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
mine was sway bar, even sounded like it was coming from the floorboards. drove me nuts.. go and tighten all 4 connections.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The powered paint on the a-arm fails between the bolt and the arm link. It holds the link between the sway bar that attaches to the arm

The bolt becomes loose making the knocking noise sounds like the axles are loose on the trail and street

To do a thorough job remove them from the arm clean remaining powder paint with a flapper wheel tighten it well ad tiny amount of blue lock tight. Noise go’s away,It drove me crazy too

Try it its an hours worth of work

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had the same issue. I heard it for awhile and it eventually quit. I found one of the front sway bar link bolts had snapped off. After some research and talking with other Can Am owners I ride with, I chose to remove the front sway bar altogether. That improved my ride on rocky, technical terrain. But, I wouldn't recommend it for high speed, open terrain.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I run no front sway bar, limit straps all around, and 2 walker links on the rear bar. For shocks, I have replaced the stock saggy upper springs with Eibach pieces. And run Poundsand's shock settings. Very smooth ride compared to how I see other guys cruising along. Definitely get the ride height up, and set the shocks for where you ride.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I adjusted to fox specs when I got it. Are you guys saying raise it further?

·
Official Site Vendor
6,275 Posts
Hello all. I’ve noticed a knocking sound in the front end of my x3 when going through bumpy conditions. Here is a video of us today @ the Badlands in IN. (Had to get kids out of house, & maintained our social distancing at all times!). You can hear the knocking as the machine goes over bumps when it gets closer to the camera

Could you guys check this out and tell me if this is normal? If no, any ideas?

thanks

Check out the limit strap video in this link near the bottom of the thread.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I know for the XRS, (I've got the 4 seater). Recommend ride height is about 16-17" on 30" tires. And it varies from there based on tire size. The 64" models will have a slightly lower ride height. Find the suspension setup thread on here by Poundsand, it's a long read, but will actually explain the how and why.
I'd like to get a shock tune at some point still, and there's 3 vendors that forum members have had good luck with.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the advice on the limit straps. I am planning on adding those at some point. I spent an hr under the machine last night. Wrenched on every bolt / nut I could find.

I must be missing something if others are not hearing it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’ve tightened everything 3x and the “knock” persists. I have not yet taken the paint off of the A arm as AZ offroad suggested. Mainly because it appears tight, but I may still do this.

i think I’m going to remove the links temporarily and see if that fixes / diagnoses it. Any reason I need to remove the sway bar if this is just temporary/ diagnostic?

·
Registered
150 Posts
My apologies I didn’t listen to the video you posted it has the same sound as the link attachment to the A Arm

For the amount of time that takes it’s not a bad idea plus you’ll get to the area of the attachment

Others have indicated that some of the sway bars have fractured torsionally. Check to see that the bar is in one piece have someone hold one end any you on other rotating opposite directions they won’t always straight like you cut in two with a saw

Good luck cool riding area how many acres of land is it ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Like 1200 acres. Good mix of trails & sand. But, many of the trails are too narrow.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts