Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to remove my rear differential to replace the input shaft seal. I have the u-joint caps backed out but they will not come out of their holes!!!!

help a brotha out on what to do.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
are u out of warranty ?

·
Registered
100 Posts
That is a very hard place to be working! That shaft should come out easier than that though. Is it splined on the other side? It has to slip somewhere.

·
Premium Member
8,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is a very hard place to be working! That shaft should come out easier than that though. Is it splined on the other side? It has to slip somewhere.
the slip is between the gearcase and the differential, its covered by a rubber boot with locking hose clamps.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
whats funny is I had a lil leak stuff was splattered all around down there, they cleaned it up took it for a loop in parking lot and told me it was grease from the zerk fitting, lol maybe

·
Registered
309 Posts
Pull the bolt out of the center of the yoke, those Canam u joints arnt cheap to replace. Then unbolt your diff and pull it out

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Pull the bolt out of the center of the yoke, those Canam u joints arnt cheap to replace. Then unbolt your diff and pull it out
that's what I was thinking 12 or 14mm ratcheting wrench in there ?

·
Registered
309 Posts
On my commander I believe it was a 13mm on the gear box side, I had to replace that seal. Those u joints are about 130$ if I recall correctly, and nothing aftermarket is the correct size last I checked. Make sure you use locktite on it, we had problems with the front drive shaft bolt coming out on the gear box side. I believe it's locktite 271 that I used, the permanent stuff.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
On my commander I believe it was a 13mm on the gear box side, I had to replace that seal. Those u joints are about 130$ if I recall correctly, and nothing aftermarket is the correct size last I checked. Make sure you use locktite on it, we had problems with the front drive shaft bolt coming out on the gear box side. I believe it's locktite 271 that I used, the permanent stuff.
I can't remember for sure but I think a Suzuki Samurai u joint is the same.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Last time I checked was over a year and a half ago, when I had my drive shaft extended by a drive line shop, I had them check for me. The mav might be different , but I did some research back then and the quad guys were using something that was close but not quite the same and had some issues with it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Like warlock said its a samurai ujoint you should be able to get from the local parts store for cheap like under $10.00
should be able to unbolt the two center bolts that hold the ujoints to the gear houseings and the transmission output shaft

·
Registered
791 Posts
X3^^^ Bolt should come out with an open end/box end 13mm wrench, no need to take the U-joint apart, nearly impossible to take one of those U-joints apart without doing any damage to it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts