Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what everyone does about their bushings? I have noticed after about 3 to 5 rides the shocks need to come off and the bushings pulled off, cleaned, and greased. It is a pain in the butt to get those bushings off. Do any of you guys do that or is there anything I can do to keep the bushings quiet and moving good?

Also was going to ask if you guys clean out the engine compartment often? It sure is a pain to get all of those panels out to clean it everytime. I noticed there was a good amount of mud in there the other day.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Mine came assembled from the factory dry, so after I cleaned and greased mine up it fixed the squeaking and that was a few rides ago .. I'll take my panels off about once a month to clean and check for any leaks or lose fasteners

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got all of the bushings off except one. That one side of the bushing would not come off so i left it. Maybe with some time it will become more loose. I just hate getting those bushings off. Takes forever and a screwdriver may be sacraficed. =) Hope this is a long term fix

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
You need to get that bushing off so you can lubricate the spherical bearing. Once you have one of them off, find something that is the same diameter as the inside of the bearing and then tap out the other bushing. Use some WD40 or similar product to help break the bond. Once you get them lubricated, they shouldn't be so hard to get off the next time.

The dealer actually install the shocks upon assembly So they should be checking them before they install them. I informed my local shops service manager and he said he would ensure to add that to the checklist when installing them On new machines.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
The two metal bushings on the end of each shock where the bolt goes thru !

·
Registered
7,381 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are tough to get apart though. If anyone has any tips on how to get them off I am all ears.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
They are tough to get apart though. If anyone has any tips on how to get them off I am all ears.
A 5/16" socket attachment fits in the hole perfectly……I used 2 flat blade screw drivers to work off the first side and then the 5/16" adapter to tap out the second one. clean it thouroughly, and rotate the spherical bearing to get the side exposed and apply generous amounts of grease on all sides as well as where the O-ring seats and the bushing surface. I recommend doing this every 100 miles or so depending on your conditions or if you start to hear squeaking……hope this helps.

IMG_0321.jpg IMG_0322.jpg IMG_0323.jpg IMG_0325.jpg IMG_0326.jpg IMG_0327.jpg IMG_0328.jpg IMG_0330.jpg IMG_0331.jpg IMG_0332.jpg IMG_0333.jpg IMG_0334.jpg

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I assume you don't see much if any mud or water....this will make a big difference

·
Registered
7,381 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks heavysledz for the write up. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt alone on that. I ride in the WV mountains and it seems I have to do this often. I use the Lucan red grease on them. Hope it prolongs it.

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
Me too Lucas red n tacky. Broke them loose and thought it was rust deposits. The more I worked the cleaner they got. In the end I was rolling them over and over, no squeaky now

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
You dune riders are lucky....no dust, no water, no mud.....
Maybe, but you wouldn't believe the places sand can get. And you have to be even more paranoid about air filter maintenance.
I will say one thing about you mudders though, you must love pressure washers. Did some serious mudding in the mountains over Labor Day and the clean up is a bear.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea i have to pressure wash EVERY time. It normally takes two hours to get it cleaned and ready for the next ride. When we ride though we go over 100 miles in a day.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts