Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m not seeing very much of why people are flipping there shocks? Is it just for the look or is there a separate function? Also is there any risk flipping the shocks?

Thanks in advance. If you guys could link any videos talking about this or forums it would be appreciated!
2019 can am x3 xrs

·
Registered
334 Posts
Mainly for looks, or clearance for shock gussets.
makes adjusting preload more difficult.

·
Premium Member
9,486 Posts
Mostly for looks, some extra air flow hits the resi's. My blue X3 was the first one to have it when UTV Inc. switched them up. If you do it, 2 things, left goes on right, and vice versa. It won't work if you just try and turn the same side around. Second thing is you need to trim the upper plastic, the shock stickers will get torn up as the suspension cycles. Pretty easy to do, blow dryer to warm the plastic, and then whatever you have - dremel, box cutter, etc.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I flipped mine so I could mount a windshield washer reservoir in there. Plus it looks better imo:)

2018 X3 XDS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I had to flip mine to have clearance for CT Raceworx frame support otherwise I would have left them as is.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Not enough clearance for the reservoirs to be in the OEM position with the tube style CT Race Worx shock tower brace.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Mine is the tube style which I believe is the old style shock tower brace. I didn't verify, but the instructions that came from CT said to flip the shocks because of the reservoir clearance. Is that not true?

·
Premium Member
9,486 Posts
Mine is the tube style which I believe is the old style shock tower brace. I didn't verify, but the instructions that came from CT said to flip the shocks because of the reservoir clearance. Is that not true?
Yes, you need to flip the shocks, meaning the left one will go on the right, and vice versa. You can't just spin the shock around so the resi is facing outwards. That won't work. The shocks fit with the old brace, both my cars have the braces, and shocks mounted outwards.

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
New design, or old design shock brace? The old one works. Don't know anything about the new design?
The other way around.
With the old design you need to flip the shocks (I have that one)
The re-design (new design) allows you to keep the reservoirs inboard.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Had to switch mine to install my shock therapy limit straps.....just didn't make any sense to have them in stock position...u couldn't get to all the bolts so had to flip them

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just recently flipped around my shocks while installing my gusset kit/shock tower. Main reason is I noticed when I bomb through puddles, a ton of water comes up the hole where the shocks sit. I'm hoping the shock resi will fill the gap a little there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Lol...didn't feel cool changing them...it was a pain in the ass...but only way I could make the limit straps work

·
Registered
61 Posts
Great job on the wrap. We've been entertaining wrapping ours. What was the difficulty scale?

BTW, love the Sweet Cheeks on the door. My wife would not approve of me doing that for her. haha

1 - 20 of 35 Posts