Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a new 1000R on Friday and took it for it's first run yesterday. Here are my thoughts if you care to read them.

I live just North of Dallas and prefer to ride at Little Sahara, but it's a 5.5 hour trip. So we decided to go to Lake Murray in OK. I was not too hip because I really hate to ride in the mud, but my excitement to drive this thing was too great to worry about the mud. We had 3 Xp's and 2 RZR S in our group. I started side by sides with a 700 Rhino and spent stupid money on speed and suspension, then sold it and bought RZR 4 S. We then also bought a Regular RZR S for the wife and son. Then we sold the RZR 4 S and bought an XP 4. This week I sold the RZR S and bought the Maverick base model. So that is my experience with these things, all in both trails and dunes. We now have the XP 4 and the new Maverick.

I have always beena huge Can Am fan and had their quads. They were my wife's favorite, so it wasn't hard to get her excited about this Maverick and she never really like the RZR S because it was loud and all aftermarket stuff.

So, my big concern about this Maverick was the suspension of the base. I almost waited for an X, but I am too impatient and figured these 2.0's are still good shocks and I could upgrade later if needed. I was not disappointed at all with the 2.0's and glad I didn't wait. If you've been to Murry, you know there are a few spots with long whoops that can either suck or be fun depending on what you ride. We hit all of them at 45-55 mph and the ride was smooth as could be. We never bottomed out anywhere and never bucked around or felt out of control. I will wait to see how it does at the dunes on some of the quick and steep transitions, but so far, so good. My wife was surprised and giggling the whole time.

Speed was amazing. We did some drags, but nothing serious. I will say it was hard to keep the wheels from spinning all the time. This thing has unbelievable power for a stock unit. I think it's safe to say that it is a little faster and quicker accelerating than the XP, but the difference is not drastic. I can say that I was smilling the whole time and I'm glad because I was talking crap the whole time before we started riding. I was aksing the XP guys how the rear looked at high speeds.

My wife and I were both impressed with the comfort and ergonomics. The stock seats were great and neither of us got uncomforable.

I was really amazed at how little mud was put in our laps. I was all prepared to come out covered in mud, but it really wasn't that bad. We got more from it throwing mud out in front of us, than coming up on us through the sides.

I was also amazed at the turning ability in tight trails. My buddies know I didn't want to scratch it all up the first run, so I lead first and stayed on the outer parts with big, wide trails where I could haul ass. Then they lead and took us right to the tight trails. I swear I could hear them laughing knowing that i was cussing at them. Probly a good thing we don't have rider to rider radios. This thing had no problem with tight turns and squeezing through trees.

The only negatives I could find were the turning at first at high speeds, but once i got used to it, we were ok. It just feels like it should be top heavy because you are sitting up higher. It was a different feel and I was causious at first. Once I got used to it, we were balls to the wall and drifting through high speed turns.

I also started noticing squeaks as it got muddier. I am pretty sure it is from mud and dirt building up underneath, but I will keep an eye on it.

That leads me to my final complaint and that is cleaning this thing. I just got done and while I hate cleaning any utv, this thing was a pain. This is why I hate mud! There are so many plastic pieces on the exterior and so much to the interior that it was a huge pain. I'll just have to get used to that or make my son clean it after he rides it.

All in all, this thing is awesome! I will be tied up for the next several months with work, but our next ride is to Little Sahara over Spring Break. I am super excited for that trip and can't wait to play in this thing in the sand.

I took the nets off today and plan to add doors. Just waiting to see what UTV Inc comes out with. I have a UTV inc roof on order and plan to order their rear cage/bumper. Adding some lighted whips and a 40" LED bar, then I should be done.....till the next thing. Oh Yeah, I do have a UTV Inc harness bar and harnesses coming too.

Another thing I really like about this Maverick is the versatility. What I mean by that is I'm a speed freak and want to go as fast as I can. This thing is perfect for that. But I also have a wife and son who will drive this thing more than me. My son is 12. I know, I know, that's not the recommended age, but he has been riding quads since 4 and he drove the RZR S most of the time and can hang with any of us, but also is well aware of his limitations and probably a safer driver than most of my freinds. I do feel this Mav has too much power for him or my wife, which makes the grey key with a 45 mph limit nice, but also the non sport mode that doesn't allow all of the power to the wheels. I make either of them follow me in the dunes anyhow, but I feel this will be safer too. It's nice that you can limit all that power if needed.

If you are considering getting one of these, don't hesitate, and go pick one up! You will not be disappointed!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the review man much appreciated!!!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Nice write up and congrats. you will love it in the dunes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice write up and congrats. you will love it in the dunes.
Thanks Deserdog. I think I would have broke mine in like you did. Glamis is on my bucket list! My crew already bitches about 5.5 hours away so often. I think they will freak out about a 24 hour trip. What are you doing for paddles or are you just going to run the stock tires? It amazes me all of the different thoughts on paddles. I can say my tires did not want to do much but spin yesterday, so I am really wondering what they will do in the sand.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I ran my stock tires for my 6 day trip in sand & hard pack. I ran 6#'s in the rears and it climbed everything in the sand fairly easy. I have some scat 8 paddles but it will go everywhere in the sand with the stock tires if you air down. Paddles will just give it a little more pulling power. I ran it up to 73 a couple times no problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ran my stock tires for my 6 day trip in sand & hard pack. I ran 6#'s in the rears and it climbed everything in the sand fairly easy. I have some scat 8 paddles but it will go everywhere in the sand with the stock tires if you air down. Paddles will just give it a little more pulling power. I ran it up to 73 a couple times no problem.
Thanks, great info. Maybe I can hang on to some money for a little while. I was not looking forward to another set of wheels and tires. Between side by sides and quads with paddles and regulars, my garage looks like a tire store in the corner.

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
6 psi in the stock bighorn 2.0's worked great for me. i could climb china wall if i got a run through the woops. i could only make 3/4 the way up if i started after the woops.

·
Registered
72 Posts
good overview thanks. you didn't complain about the shocks being too stiff, like many of they XRS owners who have reported here. Perhaps the 2.0s are softer by default. they may bottom out easier? anyway, will be interesting to get more reports on the 2.0s.

thanks and congrats!

·
Registered
728 Posts
You did what I have been thinking about. Got 2.0s. This makes sense to me because I ride a lot of logging roads, crushed rock. I have to up grade on the tires or else there will be a lot be a lot of flat tires. With the price difference between models I can easily get the big horn radials and bead locks. Plus some of the accessories I want.
Good review!.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Thanks, great info. Maybe I can hang on to some money for a little while. I was not looking forward to another set of wheels and tires. Between side by sides and quads with paddles and regulars, my garage looks like a tire store in the corner.
Don't get me wrong, paddles will help climbing BIG steep dunes but the stock big horns will get you thru the dunes without any issues if you air down to 5 or 6#'s.

·
Registered
707 Posts
It's killing me reading all these reviews, when I have a brand new one I havent even been able to ride yet. Nice write up on the base. I was kind of curious how people felt about them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts