Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up the new XMR on Wednesday, and my son and I finally got a chance today to take it out for the initial break-in at one of the mud parks around here. We spent about 3 hours at Extreme Offroad and ran into one other rider in a Jeep. I guess 40 degrees is too cold for most UTV/ATV riders down in here Texas!? Anyway, we had a lot of fun. We drove through some floorboard deep water (to check for breather hose leaks), and we plowed through some deep mud (to check for bad axles)....LOL. Nothing crazy though, and everything looks good so far.

We'll probably head back out Saturday and Sunday to finish up the 10 hr break-in, so I can change the oil and install some parts before the following weekend rolls around. We're going to head over to Down South Offroad for the rest of the weekend. I expect I'll see more riders out now that it's the actual weekend. Should be around 58 tomorrow and 72 on Sunday with slight chance of rain....so not too bad. Anyone headed out to DSO tomorrow?

I've spent about 40+ years riding dirt bikes, but this is my first time running anything with a CVT. It's quite different to say the least. I was hoping some of you experts might give me some feedback. I noticed that sometimes when shifting (at a stop) the shifter doesn't always want to move easily into the next gear position except maybe on perfectly flat ground. I can visibly see the shifter rod flexing slightly, but once it makes the initial move the rest of the positions move freely.....is this normal?

Also when taking off from a stop (after initially shifting from Reverse to Low or High) it makes a clunking sound when taking off. Is this normal? It's almost like the transmission doesn't actually change from Reverse to Low until after you press the gas pedal to get going. Unlike in a car/truck where the shifting happens instantly with the shift.

Am I babying it too much??? Should I just forget about these minor issues and nail the pedal to the floor board??? LOL

·
Registered
189 Posts
The clunk is the (can am clunk ) I think everything the make does it ,but it is perfectly normal nothing is wrong with at all .Put your sunglasses on ,skinny pedal down ,and get you smile on .

·
Hickory, NC
2,959 Posts
Yep the transition from park to another gear sometimes requires some effort. I find that if I rock the machine a little that it will switch gears better. Since I am 2 years old now it does switch better than when new. The "clunk" is clutch related I think is what we've figured out on here. I try to avoid this by EASING on the throttle after going from Reverse to Low, there are still times it clunks though. Enjoy your new ride and welcome to the forum!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts