Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,754 Posts
The fact you can identify it requires oil and a filter renews my faith in new guys after a few of the threads lately. :wink:

Changing it yourself will help you learn the machine.

Tim

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
These engines are not the 2 strokes and early 4 stroke motors from a dirt bike that you use to race. These are well built motors just like a new car.

I did my first oil change at around 1200 or more miles. The oil was still a new like color and the oil filter was just fine. My wheel bearings now have just over 4000 miles on them and I never greased them. The manual gives you the service intervals recommended by the manufacture. Why would they want a person to damage an engine? It looks bad on them if someone follows the recommend service intervals and there are failures. How many X3 motor failures have you heard off? They have determined you can go up 1,000 miles (extreme use) or 2,000 miles. One of the selling points of the X3 was longer service intervals.

Do you drop your oil on a new car after 500 miles or do you wait until the 5,000-7,500 recommended by the manufacture?
I drop after the first 500. Then every 2500. It's only oil and a filter.

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
The fact you can identify it requires oil and a filter renews my faith in new guys after a few of the threads lately. :wink:

Changing it yourself will help you learn the machine.

Tim
What about your faith in the rest, LOL!

Reactions: Tmesic

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
I drop after the first 500. Then every 2500. It's only oil and a filter.
I assume you are talking about your car, not your X3. I suppose you spend the money on the synthetic too.

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
I assume you are talking about your car, not your X3. I suppose you spend the money on the synthetic too.
Both, X3 is after every trip, oil and filter. Avalanche is every 2500, oil and filter. Yep synthetic.

I have never seen what the big deal is.

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
Both, X3 is after every trip, oil and filter. Avalanche is every 2500, oil and filter. Yep synthetic.

I have never seen what the big deal is.
Big deal with what? It is your money and time. The oil companies thank you. LOL!

If I did an oil change every 2500 miles on my truck I would be doing an oil change about every 5 weeks.

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Big deal with what? It is your money and time. The oil companies thank you. LOL!

If I did an oil change every 2500 miles on my truck I would be doing an oil change about every 5 weeks.
Yes "my money, my time". Once again, no big deal. Although I definitely don't put 2500 on the truck in 5 weeks.

·
Premium Member
7,754 Posts
In the trucks I use Amsoil and how 15 to 20k.

X3 every 800 ish.

Tim

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
These engines are not the 2 strokes and early 4 stroke motors from a dirt bike that you use to race. These are well built motors just like a new car.

I did my first oil change at around 1200 or more miles. The oil was still a new like color and the oil filter was just fine. My wheel bearings now have just over 4000 miles on them and I never greased them. The manual gives you the service intervals recommended by the manufacture. Why would they want a person to damage an engine? It looks bad on them if someone follows the recommend service intervals and there are failures. How many X3 motor failures have you heard off? They have determined you can go up 1,000 miles (extreme use) or 2,000 miles. One of the selling points of the X3 was longer service intervals.

Do you drop your oil on a new car after 500 miles or do you wait until the 5,000-7,500 recommended by the manufacture?
Yes I do, on ALL of the engines I own.
The break in process hasn't changed, engines have progressed technically. But the break in process is still the most critical part of any new or rebuilt engine.
Oil & filters are cheap, I choose to follow the same routine I have for 40+ years. I've done break ins on Dyno's but the majority on the ground.

Here's an interesting read. Sure, Mobil 1 and others claim it's perfectly fine to use synthetic oil to break in, maybe cause the make $$$ from gaining customers???

https://blog.amsoil.com/why-you-should-be-wary-about-using-break-in-oil-in-powersports-equipment/

Amsoil also obviously makes their profits selling the synthetic oil they invented in the early '70's. Big Petroleum fought and slandered Amsoil and synthetic oil for decades (all about $$$).

I get it, oil preference is exactly that, personal preference. Just sharing my experiences. Like how many times have we had to point a newbie to Moto Man's break in method ? Most Millennials and others out there are "experts" that try to slander Moto Man's tried & proven method.

Like the ongoing Chevy or Ford ....
Oop's, think I just opened the can of worms.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Every 10 hours. WOW, I got shit because I changed after every trip, but they are 14 days long. But I hear you, cheap insurance to keep the motor in top shape.
I run I hard and fast, if it sitting it's off if it's on it's full throttle. I found if I run it 5 to six hours in the desert after two trips oil is darker but still gold. If I do a third trip it gets thin and black. Thin and black equals extra wear on a 6k motor.
I got converted to changing it before it was needed when I met a guy who rented Polaris SXS and had three cars all with 20k+ miles on them. Those were rented miles and all three were still on factory motors.
Many people I knew were rebuilding motors at 5k to 8k. I know I am on the extreme side but these motors run much harder and hotter than my duramax it gets an oil chained about every 6k.

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
I run I hard and fast, if it sitting it's off if it's on it's full throttle. I found if I run it 5 to six hours in the desert after two trips oil is darker but still gold. If I do a third trip it gets thin and black. Thin and black equals extra wear on a 6k motor.
I got converted to changing it before it was needed when I met a guy who rented Polaris SXS and had three cars all with 20k+ miles on them. Those were rented miles and all three were still on factory motors.
Many people I knew were rebuilding motors at 5k to 8k. I know I am on the extreme side but these motors run much harder and hotter than my duramax it gets an oil chained about every 6k.
When I had my XP1000 I changed the oil about every 500 miles and the diff/trans every 1000 miles.

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
Yes I do, on ALL of the engines I own.
The break in process hasn't changed, engines have progressed technically. But the break in process is still the most critical part of any new or rebuilt engine.
Oil & filters are cheap, I choose to follow the same routine I have for 40+ years. I've done break ins on Dyno's but the majority on the ground.

Here's an interesting read. Sure, Mobil 1 and others claim it's perfectly fine to use synthetic oil to break in, maybe cause the make $$$ from gaining customers???

https://blog.amsoil.com/why-you-should-be-wary-about-using-break-in-oil-in-powersports-equipment/

Amsoil also obviously makes their profits selling the synthetic oil they invented in the early '70's. Big Petroleum fought and slandered Amsoil and synthetic oil for decades (all about $$$).

I get it, oil preference is exactly that, personal preference. Just sharing my experiences. Like how many times have we had to point a newbie to Moto Man's break in method ? Most Millennials and othersYet there are "experts" that try to slander Moto Man's tried & proven method.

Like the ongoing Chevy or Ford ....
Oop's, think I just opened the can of worms.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
If people want to change their oil often and have it sent out to oil "CSI", have at it. It makes for good reading for the rest of us on the internet.

Reactions: AZSteele and BLR

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Yeah, so do I. It was meant as sarcasm, sorry. Some mouth on here said it was ridiculous to change the oil that much. To each their own.

Reactions: AZSteele

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
Yeah, so do I. It was meant as sarcasm, sorry. Some mouth on here said it was ridiculous to change the oil that much. To each their own.
What is this sarcasm you speak of? Never heard of it . Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
235 Posts
I was planning on the 25k changes that Mobil1 recommends, I mean they care about my motor as much as I do, right? I also never have to change coolant or trans oil, the manual in my truck says lifetime, right?!? Yes, I'm kidding and agree that oil is cheap insurance for any motor, but to each his own. The beauty of most modern engines is that with no maintenance they still room a good long time.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Oil change kit from RMATV- about $60 every 500 miles or so. Oil looks great every time. Diff fluid (and trans) gets Royal Purple. Change it at 1000’s for rear; after each hard race for front SL due to the amount of abuse and heat it makes.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
So looking into doing the front diff along with the other areas soon and noticed this on the front diff fill plug:

It looks like the dealer has the full plug marked and taped off. Is this regular practice and why would they do this?

Going to do the front diff. Rear diff/gear and oil soon.

·
Premium Member
8,757 Posts
So looking into doing the front diff along with the other areas soon and noticed this on the front diff fill plug:

It looks like the dealer has the full plug marked and taped off. Is this regular practice and why would they do this?

Going to do the front diff. Rear diff/gear and oil soon.

that shows your dealer DID NOT do their prep job. I sure hope you didn't pay for any prep.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts