Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the dealer wants $500+ for the first service or I can just buy this and drink a six pack.

Annotation 2019-08-16 160625.png

What would you do?

They also said I could wait until 25 hours.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Do it yourself if you can. Save money and learn about your machine. Win win. Just a heads up, though, nothing is easy to work on on these things. Nothing wrong with having the dealer do it, either. Your money, your choice. Have fun, good luck!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bs about “break in” fluids in my opinion
Now that I think about it, NO WHERE in the owners service manual does it state anything about a 10-hour service.

I guess a low-mileage change wouldn't hurt but it's probably not required in my opinion also.

Definitely doing a DIY. Might go with Mobil 1, Lucas or Redline.

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
Now that I think about it, NO WHERE in the owners service manual does it state anything about a 10-hour service.

I guess a low-mileage change wouldn't hurt but it's probably not required in my opinion also.

Have a paper towel roll ready.....

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Its a messy job just get the pressure washer out when your done but way cheaper and pretty easy just a little messy

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
Have you dropped the skid plate and installed Rivnuts yet? Might as well do everything at once. Makes diff changes easier too.

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts

It's foolish not to drop the initial oil after the first 100+ miles. Anyone that has ever taken the time to inspect an oil pan and cut the oil filter in half after initially "breaking in" the motor will have stories about the amount of metal found in the oil from the "break in".
Do your research, I've raced bikes, bought / built engines. There are numerous studies that prove synthetic oil is too slippery and definitely does not contain the amount if zinc & phosphorus needed to properly break in an engine. To each their own, for recreational riding, going to trade in next year or 2, guess breaking a motor in properly doesn't make any difference.
Think about it, BRP suggests first dropping the original oil at 1K miles, after offering the generous 6 month warranty.
Hell, BRP didn't admit the wheel hubs need grease until less than a year ago. What do they have to loose ? It's up to the person that dropped the $25+ K on the high performance toy how he / she takes car of it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's foolish not to drop the initial oil after the first 100+ miles. Anyone that has ever taken the time to inspect an oil pan and cut the oil filter in half after initially "breaking in" the motor will have stories about the amount of metal found in the oil from the "break in".
Do your research, I've raced bikes, bought / built engines. There are numerous studies that prove synthetic oil is too slippery and definitely does not contain the amount if zinc & phosphorus needed to properly break in an engine. To each their own, for recreational riding, going to trade in next year or 2, guess breaking a motor in properly doesn't make any difference.
Think about it, BRP suggests first dropping the original oil at 1K miles, after offering the generous 6 month warranty.
Hell, BRP didn't admit the wheel hubs need grease until less than a year ago. What do they have to loose ? It's up to the person that dropped the $25+ K on the high performance toy how he / she takes car of it.

I understand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
Just get a 3 dollar funnel from auto parts store. Put it between skidplate and drain. No mess super simple.
I drop my oil every 6 to 10 hours, only 3.5 quarts and keeps a hard working motor working hard.
Do all your services yourself it helps you know your car.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just get a 3 dollar funnel from auto parts store. Put it between skidplate and drain. No mess super simple.
I drop my oil every 6 to 10 hours, only 3.5 quarts and keeps a hard working motor working hard.
I’m new to side by sides but not new to off-roading. I got you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
Every 10 hours. WOW, I got shit because I changed after every trip, but they are 14 days long. But I hear you, cheap insurance to keep the motor in top shape.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts

These engines are not the 2 strokes and early 4 stroke motors from a dirt bike that you use to race. These are well built motors just like a new car.

I did my first oil change at around 1200 or more miles. The oil was still a new like color and the oil filter was just fine. My wheel bearings now have just over 4000 miles on them and I never greased them. The manual gives you the service intervals recommended by the manufacture. Why would they want a person to damage an engine? It looks bad on them if someone follows the recommend service intervals and there are failures. How many X3 motor failures have you heard off? They have determined you can go up 1,000 miles (extreme use) or 2,000 miles. One of the selling points of the X3 was longer service intervals.

Do you drop your oil on a new car after 500 miles or do you wait until the 5,000-7,500 recommended by the manufacture?

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
So, the dealer wants $500+ for the first service or I can just buy this and drink a six pack.

View attachment 241383

What would you do?

They also said I could wait until 25 hours.
Just buy the oil change kit and front diff fluid from Rocky Mountain. The trans fluid the local autoparts and get the Lucas Oil gear oil. Much cheaper than the BRP stuff.

Be prepared for a mess for the oil change. Sometimes you get lucky and it is not bad and other times you will be cursing the Canadian engineer that came up with placement of everything. Not a fan of the paper towel roll. It kinda works, but still makes a mess. I would get a vacuum pump so you can suck out most of the oil and then pull the drain plugs. Find a funnel that fits between the skid plate and the drain plugs or go buy that set up the guy sells on Facebook.

Oh the manual is off on the amount of rear gear oil needed. One bottle is not enough.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
I follow the manual with oil changes. My motor runs great with no oil consumption at all . I also drove it like stole from the start just without any long wide open runs , varied my speed and did some heat cycles on it thats it .

1 - 20 of 50 Posts