Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I gotta disagree Heavy. My CVTech/STM combo has as good if not better engine braking than the stock setup had. Some of the hills I ride in the high desert are pretty steep and very rocky (watch a video of KOH). In the dunes I hardly ever use my brakes except to come to a complete stop. Are you using a one way or two way bearing in your primary? That may be the difference.
I had a one way and it burnt the belt in less than 5 miles from the slipping when the primary disengaged and the bearing "tried" to keep engine braking.....The bearing in the QSC and I think STM primaries are much smaller than the OEM. I can't speak for the CVTech primary. I have since converted to a 2 way bearing so I don't burn a belt if I am descending and my primary disengages. I can now coast down a hill without risk of burning my belt.

How big is the bearing on the CVTech?

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Not sure on demensions, but I believe it is smaller than OEM.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
hmmm...what helix are you running and do you have a Gen II STM?

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
I gotta disagree Heavy. My CVTech/STM combo has as good if not better engine braking than the stock setup had. Some of the hills I ride in the high desert are pretty steep and very rocky (watch a video of KOH). In the dunes I hardly ever use my brakes except to come to a complete stop. Are you using a one way or two way bearing in your primary? That may be the difference.
Thats great news your the first person i have heard to say that there stm sec works like the stocker

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Thats great news your the first person i have heard to say that there stm sec works like the stocker
Again, I can't speak for the CVTech/STM setup...but I haven't heard anyone with a QSC/STM or STM/STM setup say they have as good of engine breaking as the stock clutches.....

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have the STM/STM and it does have engine breaking but its not like the factory. To me it reminds me of what my rzr was. Maybe alittle more EB but not much more. I actually like it better now.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Gen 1 with a 40*helix w/ engine braking.
Thanks.....I have a Gen II with a 40*helix w/ engine braking. Isn't the only difference between the 2 Gen's the rollers on the Gen II are bigger????

21 - 28 of 28 Posts