Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my xxc home and took a Lil rip and all I can say is holy chit!! The Teryx is a distant memory. Never really felt the need for power steering but I must say I was really missing out, that should have been my first mod on the Rex knowing what I know now. This thing flat out rips. I knew it was gonna be pretty fast but it truly exceeded my expectations. The suspension feels really good and handled rutted out trails very nicely. The clutch feels like it could use some tweaking as it feels kinda jerky at very low speed, as in just creeping around. It may just need getting used to or maybe just break in. The torque is what really puts the smile on my face, this thing pulls hard!! Overall I am very pleased. I will report further once I take it out for a good flogging. Its cold n rainy here now so didn't get much seat time yet, just parking it in garage for tonite and waiting for some jealous buddies to come check it out n drink some sodas ;)

Reactions: bulldogs101

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clutches are on the list, just gotta figure out which setup to go with as I would like to retain the stock engine braking. Also I should note that as the service manager was going over machine with me he said break it in how plan to ride. Varied speed for a few miles just to break belt in but after that letter rip because it comes detuned from factory for break in then retunes itself for max power.

·
Registered
41 Posts
They are not de-tuned from the factory. Or a least that is the census here on the forum. The jerky creeping clutch is the same on mine.
The stock engine braking is a must for me too. I barely ever touch the brakes. Good thing too because the brakes are not very good. The rotors are too small for such a heavy vehicle.
Congrats on the new ride !!!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
They are not de-tuned from the factory. Or a least that is the census here on the forum. The jerky creeping clutch is the same on mine.
The stock engine braking is a must for me too. I barely ever touch the brakes. Good thing too because the brakes are not very good. The rotors are too small for such a heavy vehicle.
Congrats on the new ride !!!
Migman-

When I had a 2 seat I didn't think the brakes were bad, but if you really don't like them the 4 seater has huge brakes on the front. I'm sure it would be a very easy upgrade.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I have an Xxc too, I love the power also, especially coming from a Rzr 800. I think my brakes work very well, was actually quite impressed with them. I broke mine in hard as I have done with all of my machines, I've never had a problem, in fact there is an article on the net that says you should break them in hard because of the tight tolerances in the machining nowadays and you only have a small window to seat the rings properly. Welcome to the addiction, where are you from?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Just got my xxc home and took a Lil rip and all I can say is holy chit!! The Teryx is a distant memory. Never really felt the need for power steering but I must say I was really missing out, that should have been my first mod on the Rex knowing what I know now. This thing flat out rips. I knew it was gonna be pretty fast but it truly exceeded my expectations. The suspension feels really good and handled rutted out trails very nicely. The clutch feels like it could use some tweaking as it feels kinda jerky at very low speed, as in just creeping around. It may just need getting used to or maybe just break in. The torque is what really puts the smile on my face, this thing pulls hard!! Overall I am very pleased. I will report further once I take it out for a good flogging. Its cold n rainy here now so didn't get much seat time yet, just parking it in garage for tonite and waiting for some jealous buddies to come check it out n drink some sodas ;)
Well, if you must retain the stock engine braking then you are limiting your options to just a clutch kit or a secondary upgrade and a primary clutch kit. All of the aftermarket primary's have a smaller diameter one-way bearing so they don't do well at braking once the primary disengages.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
True, but they will not brake as well all the way down to almost a dead stop like the OEM primary can do. When the QSC or STM primary disengages (around 3-5 mph in low and 7-10 mph in high), the diameter of the one-way bearing is too small and doesn't have enough surface area to prevent the belt from slipping (like the stock primary can do) so you run the potential of burning the underside of your belt. Trust me, I learned this the hard way along with a few others.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After second ride which was riding thru wooded trails and some moderate mudding and a lot of hill climbs I have come to conclusion that low range is about useless in stock form!! The throttle lag is so bad it makes it unsafe to drive thru the trees IMHO. Got the sport low mod coming from "the guy". I really cant believe the factory lets them go out the door like this. Cant wait to get me some sport low!! Also the brakes aren't as good as I expected but still not terrible. Before I bought this mav my concern was with the visco lok as I was used to selectable diff lok in my teryx but after hitting some mud and climbing slick creek banks my worries are no more. I think the updated qe visco lok will suit me just fine. Will know more once I do some rock crawling but that wont be until I build me some rock sliders and umhw skids. Still loving this thing overall. Got front chassis brace, tie rods, sport low mod and doors on the way.

·
Registered
806 Posts
You will love the sport low. Waaaaay better.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
After second ride which was riding thru wooded trails and some moderate mudding and a lot of hill climbs I have come to conclusion that low range is about useless in stock form!! The throttle lag is so bad it makes it unsafe to drive thru the trees IMHO. Got the sport low mod coming from "the guy". I really cant believe the factory lets them go out the door like this. Cant wait to get me some sport low!! Also the brakes aren't as good as I expected but still not terrible. Before I bought this mav my concern was with the visco lok as I was used to selectable diff lok in my teryx but after hitting some mud and climbing slick creek banks my worries are no more. I think the updated qe visco lok will suit me just fine. Will know more once I do some rock crawling but that wont be until I build me some rock sliders and umhw skids. Still loving this thing overall. Got front chassis brace, tie rods, sport low mod and doors on the way.
My brakes felt crappy to me at first but over time either I got used to the amount of force needed or they improved after break-in. The will lock up the tires so I'm sure what more we could ask of them other than maybe less force on the pedal.....sport low will make you feel like you are in a new machine....

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Well, if you must retain the stock engine braking then you are limiting your options to just a clutch kit or a secondary upgrade and a primary clutch kit. All of the aftermarket primary's have a smaller diameter one-way bearing so they don't do well at braking once the primary disengages.
Most of the engine breaking is controlled
By your secondary clutch My cvtech with stock sec can slow down to 1 mph going down huge hills

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Most of the engine breaking is controlled
By your secondary clutch My cvtech with stock sec can slow down to 1 mph going down huge hills

I agree...kind of. Regardless of the influence of the secondary, the primary will disengage if you let your RPM's drop to the engagement RPM of the primary spring. The problem I have is I don't use low gear. We are flying up and down the hills were we ride but there are spots were we need to slow way down or almost come to a stop to avoid or maneuver over/around an obstacle. On steep inclines in high gear, the engine braking will not hold and the vehicle will continue to speed up so you end up using the brakes. And when you use the brakes, the RPM's drop and the primary disengages and the one-way bearing can't hold back the vehicle and the belt slips....I have tried it in low and it will work for about 75% of the hills we descend but will only hold until around 4mph before it disengages. So to prevent the potential of smoking the belt in tyhese scenarios, I had mine modified to a 2-way bearing since the one-way is pretty much useless on a vehicle of this weight. No more issues with burning a belt......

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Don't know what's wrong with yours but like I said mine won't disengage high or low gear at any speed all The way down to 1 mph and It never slips the belt That's why I would never get a aftermarket sec there's not one on the market that works as good as stock engine breaking secondary

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I'm not sure how that is possible. 1mph in high gear is going to turn less than 1700 rpm's and your primary should disengage. Anyways, I agree, the STM secondary is far superior to the stock secondary for back shifiting but doesn't do nearly as well at engine braking by design. It only has the notch on the helix to hold it in reverse were as the OEM setup has the full face of the helix to aid in braking...

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
I haven't tried or been in a position were I hade to slow down to 1 mph in high buts it's really really Slow lol I just never had it to disengage it always slows down to a certain speed and stays there never speeds up

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I hear ya........sorry, wasn't trying to argue with you, just couldn't see how you could go that slow and keep the clutches engaged still......I am sure if STM put some time int o developing a helix that had "OEM like" engine braking, they would sell a ton of them...I would!

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I'm not sure how that is possible. 1mph in high gear is going to turn less than 1700 rpm's and your primary should disengage. Anyways, I agree, the STM secondary is far superior to the stock secondary for back shifiting but doesn't do nearly as well at engine braking by design. It only has the notch on the helix to hold it in reverse were as the OEM setup has the full face of the helix to aid in braking...
I gotta disagree Heavy. My CVTech/STM combo has as good if not better engine braking than the stock setup had. Some of the hills I ride in the high desert are pretty steep and very rocky (watch a video of KOH). In the dunes I hardly ever use my brakes except to come to a complete stop. Are you using a one way or two way bearing in your primary? That may be the difference.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts