Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

So I got to take the Mav out for the first official ride.. For the most part I have nothing but great things to say about this thing!.. I had to come home and brush the dirt and bugs out of my teeth!.. For starters I gotta say I have done a lot of reading on this forum for tips and what not on this SXS. After reading all about the clutch problems I called the dealership only to find out that my SR # 0019 HAS NOT had the recall done.. Too late, I was already on my way to the ORV park! I read somewhere that it may have something to do with prolonged engine braking then hitting it so I found myself shifting it to neutral on the long ones and just coasting down using the brakes... I also read about the A-Arm bushing and heat issue.. Easy fix, I got some header wrap and ran a section to keep the heat off the bushing.. At every stop, I would check it.. It remained cool to the touch the entire ride. I also wrapped the section of pipe that goes over the top of the rear diff. This wrap kept the heat off the diff and brake lines.. Again, at every stop I would feel the diff... It did heat up some, but it was always cool enough to put my hand on it and keep it there with out burning it. I also put a sheet of insulation under the cup holders to keep the drinks from heating up. Also after some heat cycles and running it for a while, the starter seems to turn it over much faster not that it has some hours on it.

These are just my opinion so don't flame me if u disagree!

PROS: POWER!!! It has tons of it.
Suspension.. Love the Fox shocks and travel, but IMO, they need to be softened up a little.. gonna read up on them and work that out.
Overall comfort.. I rode it pretty hard and I never felt cramped at all.. I'm 5-11 and 170 lbs but I think the taller guys might have a problem.
Functionality... Everything is well layed out and easy to get to...
Overall performance is awesome on this thing... Although I didn't really air it out because of the break in period and worrying about the clutch I got into it pretty hard on the straights but never topped 55MPH..

CONS: My biggest gripe is the seatbelt. On the rock crawling trails when I would move around a lot, it would dig into my neck.
Second minor issue is the aftermarket doors. If your on the rough trails, I found that I was getting my elbows hit pretty hard and they rattle a bit.
The brakes squeak like hell.. You will hear them in the videos I'm posting if you care to watch.
The 1/2 windshield doesn't do much to keep the wind and dirt out of your eyes, but it did deflect a huge rock that got kicked up that would have for sure smacked the passenger square in the mouth so I cant really complain.

Other things: I really like what Can Am has done with the electronic throttle.. On the crawler trails in 4x4 low, I found it smooth and predictable and very easy to work without cranking out too much power. In sports mode I would like it to be more linear. I also found that a couple times when I was at high speeds and working the trails, it felt like it was going to come around on me. Little scary being I'm not used to a SXS but I'm sure I will get the hang of it!

Basically.. this thing rocks!... By the end of the day, I wasn't worried about the clutch or starter.. I had lots of compliments on the unit and no one in a RZR had the balls to try to step up and run me..

See my Youtube Channel here to watch the videos.. I just used my phone and they may bore you a bit but it gives a good idea of the terrain that I evaluated this thing on..

Myron

https://www.youtube.com/user/WIMBERLEYDUDE?feature=mhee

·
Registered
727 Posts
Thanks for posting. Do you have skid plates on yet. It looks like you might need them in that area.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Yeah, the seat belts suck. 1st thing my wife bitched about was the belt digging into her neck (I don't blame her though). I got the Pro Armor 3", and have some Crow crotch belts coming.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
yes the harnesses is the 1st best thing to do asap!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No skidplate yet!. I did have one impact that scared me a bit though. Hidden Falls has a bunch of cool places to ride and it can be very technical. There are lots of super high end crawlers that come out and many don't make it out without breaking. There are places where you have to crawl a steep rugged incline and then a 24+" vertical jutting out so your vehicle excedes a 50 degree angle. There are some more open stretches and lots of creeks and washouts that you can ride as well... I have been to a couple parks around Texas and this is my fav. Mud Buddys is way smaller and they have a race track, but that park is more for the wild crazy drunk ones that literally stay out all night mixing red bulls and vodka and acting like idiots..

Next trip out I will bring a go-pro or similar.. My videos on this trip sucked because it was just me and my phone!..

OH, does the Harness attach to a koplin bar? I am already thinking about relocating the mounting points on the stock belt, but I'm afraid it will void the warranty..

·
Registered
329 Posts
Did u put the four point seat belts thru the hole in the back of the seat or around each side. I put mine on the out side and don't seem to have a problem with
the belt hitting mine or passengers neck. I'm using BlingStar belts.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Did u put the four point seat belts thru the hole in the back of the seat or around each side. I put mine on the out side and don't seem to have a problem with
the belt hitting mine or passengers neck. I'm using BlingStar belts.
Just stumbled across this and had to comment. I ran my Crow 3" harness shoulder straps through the hole in the back of the seat and with the straps correctly adjusted only the soft padding rubs my neck so I wasn't 'chafed' but there was more rubbing than I was used to. Never thought about running them around the sides of the seat but I may look at that. I thought the straps would be to far apart if I ran around the side but I guess it depends on how the straps lay across my shoulders that way and whether or not the sternum strap will still reach from 1 strap to the other.
So hows everyone else route their shoulder straps?

·
Registered
707 Posts
I ran mine through the holes in the seat. I'm 6'0 and about 180. I have no problems with my UTV Inc harnesses. I don't have a sternum strap though.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Just took a minute and pulled mine out of the hole and wrapped them around the outside of the seat/headrest and I think this holds the straps to far apart. Like this my sternum strap really doesn't even work so it seems like the wrong way to go. When you look at the aftermarket seats that have notches/holes/slits built into the top of the seat the shoulder straps are held much closer together. I'm leaving mine inside the hole.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts