Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

First Can-am, coming over to the dark side from Polaris

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  midnight98ws6 
#1 ·
Just picked up my first Can-Am, 2020 x3 XMR turbo, super excited, this thing is a beast! I let her warm up, then cruised around varying the throttle, slowly working my way up higher in the RPM band with the occasional quick full throttle bursts. Now have a whopping 1.4 hours and 12 miles haha. Not sure if its the best method, but thats how I've always done it, no issues yet. Just wanted to introduce myself.

Nic

#6 ·
the motor is one of the strong parts of the x3
its not likely to be the first thing you will hurt

#12 · (Edited)
Where did you buy it ? Pensacola Motorsports ?

how was your ride at Boggs ? Do you like the Mav more than the rzr

#13 ·
I bought it in Slidel LA. It was over a thousand dollars cheaper, and the dealership met me half way to cut down on my drive.
Boggs was awesome! It was dead, which is the way I like it, I like to fast trail ride so less chances of me running into someone.
The one thing I do miss about my 2014 900xp is that it was a drift king. I could slide it, drift it, do donuts, and even with the single sway bar, it never felt like it was going to go over. Unfortunately even with two sway bars, the x3 does feel like it wants to tip. I am struggling to get this thing to slide, haven't had it long so it could be OE. Other than that, the x3 i feel is superior in every way. O and the seats, the rzr seats(rzr 1000) were so much more comfortable than the factory x3.

#16 ·
I bought it in Slidel LA. It was over a thousand dollars cheaper, and the dealership met me half way to cut down on my drive.
Boggs was awesome! It was dead, which is the way I like it, I like to fast trail ride so less chances of me running into someone.
The one thing I do miss about my 2014 900xp is that it was a drift king. I could slide it, drift it, do donuts, and even with the single sway bar, it never felt like it was going to go over. Unfortunately even with two sway bars, the x3 does feel like it wants to tip. I am struggling to get this thing to slide, haven't had it long so it could be OE. Other than that, the x3 i feel is superior in every way. O and the seats, the rzr seats(rzr 1000) were so much more comfortable than the factory x3.
Get rid of the meat hooks you call tires and it will slide lol. I will strongly disagree with the seat thing . I’ve had ever rzr other than a turbo. The seats sucked . They were hard . X3 sears are soft. Are you talking about the seating position? The body roll you feel is the shocks working unlike your 900xp. Stiff up your shocks if you don’t like them to ride good. It will get rid of the body roll

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Was it super muddy from the rain ? Glad to find a fast trail runner.....everyone else there goes slow and muds.....most of the people do go on the non mud trails. I rarely see people on the majority of the trails.
Its awesome when its dead, one of the reasons I stay until Sunday.....Its a ghost town on Sundays.

as far as the drifting goes.....you have very aggressive new tires....what tires were on your XP ? Tires low on air ? You may need to adjust your shocks
you may also be scared to hit the throttle hard enough to drift since its new to you and you aren't used to it yet, the main road through the park takes little to no effort drift in the turns. You might need more seat time

#20 ·
Sorry for the late response, been away. Boggs wasn't bad at all, perfect actually, no dust, avoid the mud if i wanted to. And yup, love fast technical trail riding, Ill play in the mud too, just dont enjoy it as much.

My XP had big horns on it, Im sure that helped with the sliding.

I took the mud slingers off of the x3 after my first ride, I now have Maxxis Carnivores with around 12# of air all the way around. I bet i am sliding, it is just a little harder to tell because the x3 is almost a foot longer than the XP. The XP would kick out quick I'm assuming due to the shorter wheelbase, the x3 just casually comes around. Maybe that is what i am bothered about, i miss the feeling of being on the edge of feeling out of control in the XP :LOL:. The X3 is just a tighter, smoother, far superior machine. I love it!

As for the seats, I am a wide dude, i feel like i am almost too wide for contour of the seats. I did just added some spacers, and it made a huge difference in my seating position, i am enjoying the seats a little more now.

Unfortunately the trans am has been loooooong gone. wrecked it in my younger dumber days... twice. The memory lives on in my username :ROFLMAO:. Glad to hear they are still around, especially with good optispark ;).

thanks everyone for the responses, all great info..

#15 ·
Welcome from a 2-times RZR owner whose now a 2-times X3 owner. Best purchase decisions I EVER made and wouldn't go back to Polaris for anything. Proof? When I bought my '17 X3 DS the dealer was offering was a $5K rebate on leftover RZR turbos with an additional $1K for "owner loyalty", literally $6K in total rebates. As I was sitting in the first X3 they uncrated and put out for display, I told them, "hard pass, I'll be leaving with this...". Since the RZR I was trading in spent more time in their shop than in my garage or the desert, they were more than happy to work a deal and take it off my hands. It went to a retired gentleman who basically uses it as a golf cart, so good for him. Fast forward to the '20 X3 RS Max RR I just bought and the only issue I ever had with my '17 was a broken front sway bar link, which the dealer promptly and happily replaced under warranty. I sold my '17 X3 outright to a local snowbird/retired gentleman that is absolutely loving it.

Neither are perfect machines but I've enjoyed a day and night difference between the two brands and hope that you do likewise!

As a side note, put up some pictures of your machine when you get a chance and don't forget your '98 WS-6! I have a '94 T/A LT1 myself with less than 80K original miles and a thus far solid Optispark... 🤞

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.