Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Administrator
2,357 Posts
Sorry to hear Joey....hope you can help the rest of us by trying to isolate the true reason it started!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Sorry to hear Joey....hope you can help the rest of us by trying to isolate the true reason it started!
It must of been fuel related because of the strong smell, it may of been a fuel line maybe it was rubbing somewhere and it wore through it's hard to tell now there's nothing left of it.

Sux because It was running great had under 500kms on it and the kids and I really enjoyed it. I will buy another sxs I may wait to see what 2017 brings us in SxS.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
How long was it idling ? I know that the exhaust collects leaves and starts fires because mine has smoked a couple of times because of it You wouldn't think the exhaust would be hot enough at idle to catch gas on fire ??? I see guys spill gas all over the exhaust headers all the time at races and they don't catch fire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
How long was it idling ? I know that the exhaust collects leaves and starts fires because mine has smoked a couple of times because of it You wouldn't think the exhaust would be hot enough at idle to catch gas on fire ??? I see guys spill gas all over the exhaust headers all the time at races and they don't catch fire

It was idling for about 4 to 5 minutes and it was around -12 that day. No leaves anywhere on the machine it was ridden on hard packed road and gravel oil lease roads. I avoid mud and deep puddles it's to messy for me.

·
Vendor
1,270 Posts
If you lost gas pretty quick i would be pulling the covers off and finding that leak asap. Pull the plastic off the gas tank and check the vent line follow it to the front make sure it's ok also check the seal on top of the tank for leaks or if you see a gas stain, check all fuel lines follow them one by one to where they go.

At least you have a warning that your losing fuel find the leak asap or your sxs will end up like mine.
I planned on doing some checking to be safe before i take it out again. I never actually saw any gas dripping or leaking I could just smell it and the gauge dropped pretty quick. I do think it may have just been sloshing since it was down to about 2 bars. Not sure if i actually lost any gas or not. Thanks for the tips, the last thing i want is for this thing to go up in flames. Wouldn't even come close to getting what i have in it from the insurance company.

·
Administrator
2,357 Posts
Very sorry to hear. Hopefully insurance helps. This scares me though, while i was at Glamis over new years i noticed my car lost some gas pretty quick and i could smell a strong gas odor when i got out to look to see if i had any fuel leaks. Didn't see anything dripping but the odor was pretty strong. Does anyone know where the overflow or vent tube is at? Maybe they are coming off or loose and leaking fuel.
I planned on doing some checking to be safe before i take it out again. I never actually saw any gas dripping or leaking I could just smell it and the gauge dropped pretty quick. I do think it may have just been sloshing since it was down to about 2 bars. Not sure if i actually lost any gas or not. Thanks for the tips, the last thing i want is for this thing to go up in flames. Wouldn't even come close to getting what i have in it from the insurance company.
You probably are smelling fumes from the vent tube that most of us have at least once. It ends underneath the dash/hood area and is a small clear tube. Spend a couple bucks and extend it with another piece...I put ours up behind the drivers side headlights...no more gas smell.

·
Registered
15 Posts

I question the idle being hot enough to start the fire. I had a maverick idling for a couple hours in the shop to check a fuel issue, and during the end of the session the fuel line on the pressure gauge burst. It drained what was left of the fuel all over the inside of the engine compartment and all over the motor and no fire. I came back out and the unit was sitting in a puddle of fuel and had stopped running due to loss of fuel.
I think the maybe a piece of the insulation may have came loose and was probably sitting on the exhaust. Once the interior starts to go it is all over.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Only thing I can think of is there are some plastic "y" connectors near the head connecting fuel lines. Maybe going from -12 degree to warm quickly caused them to crack and spray fuel near spark plug? Just thinking outloud? Or crimp bands didn't hold seal on fuel lines there with it that cold? I live in so Cal so not much experience with real cold temps. Just know I would rather see metal Y connectors there.

·
Administrator
2,357 Posts
I've made mention before, and here again would be a great instance for vendor to custom tailor a small halon extinguisher system for our Mavericks. It would only take 2 nozzles for the engine compartment to completely smother a fire. When the plastics are taken off it simply adds air to the fire like what happened here. Everyone one of us would do the same thing.....remove the plastics to hit the fire with an exringuisher, but with that added air, up shoots the fire. We need to kill any start of fire with all plastics left on IMO.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I'll never know what really happened I just curios to see what the insurance will give me for it, it was only 4 months old. I called my dealer today and for a 2016 XDS Turbo mine was a 2015 xds turbo they want $28600.00 for the 2016 out the door with no extras I think that's a lot of money. I'm going to look at a new yamaha Yxz tomorrow I really like the idea of putting a stage 2 turbo (190hp) on it. I will keep my options open or I may wait till the info on all the 2017 sxs come out.

Maybe can am has a big surprise for us in 2017.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i know if I was in your shoes I would say F**k can am if they don't come to the table with a better offer than "a good deal". I would think they would want it back to try to determine the cause. If they don't they must not give a shit.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
i know if I was in your shoes I would say F**k can am if they don't come to the table with a better offer than "a good deal". I would think they would want it back to try to determine the cause. If they don't they must not give a shit.
Is this really that common of an issue? Are the amount of Can-am catching fire in the hundreds? I would love to know. As of now, we all know that all SXS's are produced with human hands involved, never heard of any manufacture passing 100% quality control. Could be just as simple as a clamp not secure, or a bad hose, or etc... We all know about Polaris and the fire issues, which are in the hundreds, and how Polaris is dealing with the issue. Making assumptions about Can-am not giving a shit at this point in the game is a little early in my opinion. I'm really glad no one was hurt, and hoping your insurance treats you right.

·
Registered
33 Posts
crazzyjoey I had a friend who had a similar deal but it was saved just minor damage, freaking mice made a nest near cvt it was less than a week after last ride

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Well I went to the dealer where I bought my maverick new and talked to the same sales guy and the manager they don't care it burned down they basically gave me a price of $28600.00 for a xds turbo 2 seater out the door. When I asked if they know about the other maverick that burned down 2 weeks ago in my area they said no but I don't believe them. I will NOT be going back to that dealer for anything.

I did stop at a Yamaha dealer and looked at the Yxz and wow the quality fit and finish is really nice. no more belt or clutching to worry about Yes I know about the stock clutch burning up on some the dealer said the would replace the stock clutch with a 6 spring clutch and you don't have worry about it anymore. I drove it and I love the shifting ( I drive stick every day) it gives you more control if you know what your doing and there was no tippy feeling like my maverick. The motor runs so smooth and sounds amazing and has so much more potential then the turbo I had. They also said if I bought it they would give me the number of a place that will flash the ecu for $300 and it will hit 100mph and accelerate faster to. I don't do mud or rock climbing mostly ride trails and hard or gravel roads.

So right now I'm not to sure what to do I'm still very curios to see what will be up graded or new in 2017 I just hate waiting because I miss ridding.

The Yxz is $25800.00 out the door with the money I save I can install a turbo on the Yxz and it should go pretty damn good.

Joe

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I was there today, they don't give a shit they just want to sell me another one.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
I was there today, they don't give a shit they just want to sell me another one.
Sad to see. I know our local dealer would be giving you a new one for cost! Customer service at some of these dealerships just don't mean much anymore. Good luck with your buying decision. No mater what you get, keep having FUN!

21 - 40 of 55 Posts