Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Sorry about your Maverick. Can you give us some details? Like how our all went down and how long you had to get to safety. I'm nervous about putting my kid in the back seat now.

Serviced my machine 2 weeks ago and food the plastic that covers some of the wiring melted. That could easily start a fire.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sucks, do you know what area the fire may have started?
It started around the engine and it was a gas leak because there was a strong odour of gas when I got close to it.

I started it up came in the house to put on my jacket and gloves on go into the garage and there's smoke coming from the center console I shut it off ripped the side panel off and that's when it started flaming. I then pushed it out of my garage and basically watched it burn nothing I could of done by time the fire department got to my place it was burnt to the ground. The fire fighters said this is the second can am to catch fire on it's own in 2 weeks in my area.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sorry about your Maverick. Can you give us some details? Like how our all went down and how long you had to get to safety. I'm nervous about putting my kid in the back seat now.

Serviced my machine 2 weeks ago and food the plastic that covers some of the wiring melted. That could easily start a fire.
Once it started burning there was no stopping it spread so fast I couldn't believe it I just had to get it out of my garage I have 300,000 worth of classic cars in there.

I called the dealer where I bought it from and they played dumb and told me that they would give me a deal on a new 2016 **** them i'll buy a different brand.

BTW my 15 year old daughter was driving it this past sunday thank god it didn't happened while she was driving.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Once it started burning there was no stopping it spread so fast I couldn't believe it I just had to get it out of my garage I have 300,000 worth of classic cars in there.

I called the dealer where I bought it from and they played dumb and told me that they would give me a deal on a new 2016 **** them i'll buy a different brand.

BTW my 15 year old daughter was driving it this past sunday thank god it didn't happened while she was driving.
buy popo, they never catch fire LOL

Reactions: kessler89 and Yuba

·
Registered
56 Posts
That's no good, sorry.
did you have insurance on it?
any chance if you would have had an extinguisher handy you could have put it out?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's no good, sorry.
did you have insurance on it?
any chance if you would have had an extinguisher handy you could have put it out?
Yes I have insurance, I also had a fire extinguisher attached to the roll cage I couldn't use it because I had to get it out of the garage while it was burning. I don't think the fire extinguisher would of done any good it spread to fast and the plastic just burned like it was paper.

·
Registered
579 Posts

damn bud I am really sorry to hear about this!

·
Vendor
1,270 Posts
Very sorry to hear. Hopefully insurance helps. This scares me though, while i was at Glamis over new years i noticed my car lost some gas pretty quick and i could smell a strong gas odor when i got out to look to see if i had any fuel leaks. Didn't see anything dripping but the odor was pretty strong. Does anyone know where the overflow or vent tube is at? Maybe they are coming off or loose and leaking fuel.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Sorry to hear. Hope things get worked out for the best of you. I always noticed on both of my machines how much debris (leafs etc..) get caught up and stay around exhaust pipe next to primary. Regular cleaner of that area now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Very sorry to hear. Hopefully insurance helps. This scares me though, while i was at Glamis over new years i noticed my car lost some gas pretty quick and i could smell a strong gas odor when i got out to look to see if i had any fuel leaks. Didn't see anything dripping but the odor was pretty strong. Does anyone know where the overflow or vent tube is at? Maybe they are coming off or loose and leaking fuel.
If I remember correctly the tank vent on mine was ran through a hole in a tab welded to the frame, close to the rear head then run up by the air box. I guess it could have cut it over time but I re-routed mine. I've also seen the fuel lines on the quads crack before and leak. Hard to say if it's a bad batch of hose or got hot at one time and cooked it

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you lost gas pretty quick i would be pulling the covers off and finding that leak asap. Pull the plastic off the gas tank and check the vent line follow it to the front make sure it's ok also check the seal on top of the tank for leaks or if you see a gas stain, check all fuel lines follow them one by one to where they go.

At least you have a warning that your losing fuel find the leak asap or your sxs will end up like mine.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
What doesn't make sense to me is that it started on fire in your garage, just sitting and idling. Then you jumped in a burning machine and moved it away from your house, that's pretty heroic for one to do, but 300,000 in cars is pretty motivating. I'm glad everyone is ok. How long was it idling for to get warm enough to start a fire I mean you can put a cigarette in gas or put a match in gas and it wont ignite? Yes I like to play with fire. I think if I seen it smoking I would of just shut it down but that may have been the wrong thing to do apparently.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What doesn't make sense to me is that it started on fire in your garage, just sitting and idling. Then you jumped in a burning machine and moved it away from your house, that's pretty heroic for one to do, but 300,000 in cars is pretty motivating. I'm glad everyone is ok. How long was it idling for to get warm enough to start a fire I mean you can put a cigarette in gas or put a match in gas and it wont ignite? Yes I like to play with fire. I think if I seen it smoking I would of just shut it down but that may have been the wrong thing to do apparently.
I didn't drive it out as soon as I smelled the gas and seen the smoke I shut it off ripped of the panel and seen flames then I just pushed it out of the garage as fast as I could. I managed to get it about 30 feet from the front of the garage I'm no hero I just wanted to save my cars and garage. It was idling about 4-5 min it was cold -12 so I was just letting it warm up.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts