Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This machine is a 2015 Maverick Turbo XDS

So about 20% of the time it is physically difficult to select gearing that is far away like reverse - low or park. It feels like the selector is spring loaded.
When I am stuck up against something where the bike can’t move at all and I try to change gears it is also physically difficult to move the selector (almost like it’s spring loaded)
Almost every time I do change the position of the selector into anything park, neutral, high, low and reverse I don’t feel it engaging through the selector unless I lean forward and back so the vehicle rocks forward or back ever so slightly then I feel the gear engage through the selector.
This also happens when I drive into a trailer and put the machine in park. I have to move the wheels forward a quarter inch or back a quarter inch to hear the parking pin click.

If I don’t rock the vehicle forward and back and wait for the feeling (no audible noise) of the gear engaging it makes a terrible grinding noise if you try to drive it. It does this in R, H and L

It doesn’t try to move while idling. The primary spins while the secondary is stationary I don’t believe that is any problem.

My thought is maybe the gear selector cable needs adjusting or something in the gearbox needs adjusting?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I have found tiny bits of metal in the transmission fluid as you would imagine from the grinding. Previous owner tried to tell me this was normal.
What should I look at replacing first?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Might help of you tell us what year, make and model you have, it could be several things.

Welcome from wherever our truck parks our home for the night.
Alturas, CA

Barbara

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Ya since it's your 1st post it goes into the new member section automatically.

Have you checked your clutches, and blown them out. Also make sure your linkage is moving freely.

I don't remember if you said it shifted ok when not running.
Short term memory..LOL

Barbara

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya since it's your 1st post it goes into the new member section automatically.

Have you checked your clutches, and blown them out. Also make sure your linkage is moving freely.

I don't remember if you said it shifted ok when not running.
Short term memory..LOL

Barbara

All good! Clutches appear fine no movement in the secondary clutch when in high idling so I think the primary bearing is good.
What do you mean by Blowout the clutches?
Also are these the linkages the gear selector cable goes to? What should I expect from correctly working linkages?
This issue happens when the bike is not running as well. If I put it in a gear when it’s off I need to rock it to feel it engage just like when it’s running.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Pull the cover off and take compressed air to them good periodically, dust, belt material etc. will cause premature wear on parts. Watch what comes out, and keeps coming out from different angles.

Making sure your linkage is adjusted proper is critical, as time goes things streatch,bend and wear. Yes, it's the cable linkages and everything should align proper to gear selection.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pull the cover off and take compressed air to them good periodically, dust, belt material etc. will cause premature wear on parts. Watch what comes out, and keeps coming out from different angles.

Making sure your linkage is adjusted proper is critical, as time goes things streatch,bend and wear. Yes, it's the cable linkages and everything should align proper to gear selection.

Thanks for that! I will have a look at the linkage and refer to the maintenance manual thing to work on it. Replacement is fine my local dealer has pretty good parts availability.
I will take to the clutches with some compressed air and see what happens as well.

I’ve driven off-road vehicles a lot and I hear a whine that reminds me of a diff or transfer case with low fluid. I recently replaced all the fluids so it’s not that. I’m assuming the constant whine is the cvt?

·
Registered
2020 X3 X rs Turbo RR
196 Posts
First weekend out with my new (to me) X3, I suddenly had issues with shifting. It seemed like it would bind, I had to force it, occasionally it would grind when it did go into gear. Turned out that a nut had fallen off of the shifter pivot. Replaced it, and was good to go. Just a thought.

Reactions: HPnMORE4J

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
First weekend out with my new (to me) X3, I suddenly had issues with shifting. It seemed like it would bind, I had to force it, occasionally it would grind when it did go into gear. Turned out that a nut had fallen off of the shifter pivot. Replaced it, and was good to go. Just a thought.
Yep, that's where it all starts in the linkage!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts