Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kyle Chaney and myself will be working directly with Bob Luketic the owner of FCR Suspension. We are working on making the Fox 2.5s work the way they should under racing conditions. Bob has the first set of Factory Pistons done along with nitrogen bladder caps. The FCR pistons flow 60% more than the Fox pistons. He is installing them in my shocks as well as revalving them. I should have them before the weekend. Kyle and I hope to be testing Sunday. Kyle's set up should be done beginning of next week. Kyle's will be shortened for the Can-Am and Turn Key narrowing kits. He is hoping to start testing that set up Wednesday of next week.

Stay tuned for updates.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Kyle and I did some testing yesterday. The Maverick is much more stable and there was no kick/bucking. I even came up short on a double and it soaked it up with out kicking. I'm currently headed to the FCR shop to do some more testing. Hoping to have a good baseline setup today.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Currently the FCR setup has
-works high flow shock pistons with custom single, dual, and multi frequency valving. Pistons have a much better fit from piston band to the body to prevent piston ring blow by that the stock one suffers from
-works high volume nitrogen bladder cap and bladder assembly. Shock holds 40%more nitrogen volume and that keeps the shocks running cooler for much longer and prevents shocks from "ramping".

This is just the start. Springs will be coming soon and some other truck parts.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kyle Chaney and I did some testing this weekend with Bob, the owner of FCR Suspension. We made some great progress. Stock stuff is no comparison. The best setup I have ever used was a set of custom built stage 4 Elkas that had some stuff most people can't get. They were great. After four hours with Bob these 2.5s are on the same level.

The first thing I wanted to address was the buck in the rear. It made me drive timid to stay in control. We have eliminated that. I could go as hard as I wanted on chop, rollers, and large single hits. Normally you have to give some to get some so if you slow the rebound down the suspension might pack up (shocks don't extend before the tires hit the next obstacle), but with the changes Bob made internally the wheels stayed in contact over the chop like square edge braking and acceleration bumps. I could brake later into the corners and it remained flatter through the corners.

Previously when I would brake going into the corners I could feel every bump and it was rough under braking. Now it rides like a trophy truck. It just floats over the rough. At the beginning of testing we were hitting a large ditch that was higher on the exit than the entrance. We would bottom out and my fiancé almost got out because it was so rough. By the end of the day you couldn't even feel it yet it was still soaking up the small stuff. It's like having a soft suspension setup that stays stable and soaks up big hits.

The second best thing we improved was adjustability. When we started you could turn and turn the adjusters and not much happened. With the changes that FCR made you could feel each change. Even my fiancé who has no experience at all could feel two clicks in the rebound and a 1/4 turn in the compression.

The best thing is this was only after four hours of testing. Bob says we are just getting started. He has a lot more that he wants to do. We are racing South Carolina GNCC with this current setup and the following weekend we will have 3 sets of shocks to test back to back to back with different valving and spring rates, dual and single rates.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Awesome......thanks for the info. I'm definitely subscribed to this thread and am looking for any insight as I'm new to racing SXS and can use any and all help I can get. I appreciate you taking time out to keep us up to date.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just spent the entire day with Bob the owner of FCR doing suspension testing and we have the suspension package to end all suspension packages and we will still be improving. We accomplished several things that several suspension technicians and engineers told us we couldn't do.

We had a very cushy plush riding suspension, but it bottomed too much for me. I like to not lift for big hits, g outs, ditches etc., but you need something that soaks up small chop to medium bumps as well or you can't get the power to the ground. It will bounce around etc..

We were told we needed to go with a less complicated setup.

We were told we couldn't keep the plushness and reduce the bottoming.

We were told you would have to have body roll by engineers and suspension technicians.

Well they were partially right. If you just revalve the fox stuff or buy a set of shocks like King, Walker Evans, etc. you won't be able to do those things. The reason is because people don't want to put the time into them to make them work properly. No one wants to get creative or they just don't know how to do it. Another thing is profits. Build it cheap and make as much as possible. We were told by two companies they did it that way because it was cheaper not because it was better.

Bob does have a complicated set up for most people and that's why it works. It basically uses none of the Fox internals and has infinite amounts of adjustment. The fox pistons, shims, etc. are very limiting. They have blow by and other issues I've discussed several times.

With a valving change and a spring change we did everything we were told we couldn't.

The car is planted! Glued to the ground in small and medium chop. The wheels track up the face an down the backside of each bump never leaving the ground and not transmitting the terrain back to the driver and passenger. It feels so plush and hooked.

We solved the bottoming issue and now square edges, ditches, large g outs, over jumping and under jumping at high speeds or awkward angles feel like you have pillows between you and the ground.

We have almost zero body roll. It is almost impossible to get this thing tipsy.

I would put this set up against any set up or aftermarket shock on the market. Bob has done stuff you only see on factory Supercross bikes. He took the time to change the SSV suspension game. It's a new level now. You can now have everything you want from your suspension at once. No more giving something up to gain another.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Treavis, please go over the same whoops as before when u almost flipped the Mav. I want to see the new suspension in action!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Just sent 8 Shocks (2 Full sets) to Bob.... Very nice and informative guy....I really hope it all works as stated.... Think its great that guys on the East are stepping up like this.... This is the last step for my car..being a very aggressive driver this is a must in my book... Can't wait to not be worried about rear kick over water breaks at 50MPH.... I guess Ill have a 1 beer break when I stop and wait for the pack instead of 1/2 beer... LOL

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just sent 8 Shocks (2 Full sets) to Bob.... Very nice and informative guy....I really hope it all works as stated.... Think its great that guys on the East are stepping up like this.... This is the last step for my car..being a very aggressive driver this is a must in my book... Can't wait to not be worried about rear kick over water breaks at 50MPH.... I guess Ill have a 1 beer break when I stop and wait for the pack instead of 1/2 beer... LOL
After talking to several other suspension places it looks like the leader in suspension is on the East Coast!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts