·
Registered
1,785 Posts
service manual is the best place to find the correct definition
some codes using google are crazy

·
Registered
49 Posts
So my buddy just got a 2021 XRS. It has 15 miles on it now. It throw a P0234 overboost code. I looked at the Wastegate solenoid and everything looks to be OK no cracks all lines are good. I try to clear the code but it won't clear. He said it has never had any power. It's like its in limp mode but it not displaying anything on the dash.

·
Registered
2020 X3 X RS RR
85 Posts
So my buddy just got a 2021 XRS. It has 15 miles on it now. It throw a P0234 overboost code. I looked at the Wastegate solenoid and everything looks to be OK no cracks all lines are good. I try to clear the code but it won't clear. He said it has never had any power. It's like its in limp mode but it not displaying anything on the dash.
Can you see the WG actuator actually cycle and move? Maybe the actuator is bad? Maybe a bad or not plugged in pressure sensor?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
overboost is usually caused by a boost leak
in one of the reference lines from the turbo to the WG actuator
but a bad actuator also could give overboost
the actuator may be the leak your looking for
boost is measured by the map and tmap sensors
if they are not working correctly you would have
a error code for them

Reactions: jknapier

·
Registered
49 Posts
After looking to find the problem. I found the charge tube was off just above the throttle body. I put it back on and also tested the wastgate actuator with my mityvac, opened at 9psi. Took it for a test drive and now its making boost but soon as the boost comes in something cuts power. Still has the P0234 code that I can't erase.
Dealer said only the BRP scan tool will erase it. I tried my MaptuneX on it but it won't on the 2021

·
Registered
2020 X3 X RS RR
85 Posts
After looking to find the problem. I found the charge tube was off just above the throttle body. I put it back on and also tested the wastgate actuator with my mityvac, opened at 9psi. Took it for a test drive and now its making boost but soon as the boost comes in something cuts power. Still has the P0234 code that I can't erase.
Dealer said only the BRP scan tool will erase it. I tried my MaptuneX on it but it won't on the 2021
Does suck that the new ECU can't be communicated with the existing aftermarket tools. Likely clearing the code after correcting the leak would fix the issue. Does the 2021 have the ability to read and clear it's codes?

·
Registered
2020 X3 X RS RR
85 Posts
You can read the codes on the dash but I can't seem to erase them.
Fuc**** Canucks lol. Sucks to have to take it to a dealer as their backlog to get in is stupid and usually doesn't fix the issue. Good luck to your friend....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes it does sucks.... Going to the dealer next Tuesday....I'm going to keep messing with it before then tho.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
candoo can read and clear all codes
and may work on 21s
their customer service is always good
call them to see if it will work for you
the oem dash can not clear any codes
it can not even read non active codes
some codes must be removed by a tool
and will not clear by unhooking battery

1 - 20 of 21 Posts