Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read on the Kubota Tractor forum where in a short period time all diesel farm tractors will have a DPF and gas Garden/Lawn tractors with a CAT.
The higher 30hp and up diesel units already have them on and from my understanding is causing havoc with the owners and cutting engine life expectancy down to less than half. I'm sure this is with all others as well.

Sounds like a good opportunity time for the aftermarket CAT/DPF delete tuners/pipe manufactures to come up with a good easy swap out for owners that can put on and take off easy as most Tractors come with a 5-6 year drive train warranty.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
I have a 2016 Kubota L3301 hydrostatic drive and it has a burn box on it and a couple buttons on the dash for re-gen, I'm sure its costing me a little power, but Its not worth messing with it.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2016 Kubota L3301 hydrostatic drive and it has a burn box on it and a couple buttons on the dash for re-gen, I'm sure its costing me a little power, but Its not worth messing with it.
I'm sure there are some who experience no to very little problems, yes all will typically experience loss of power but like any DPF there are common issues that surround them which cause expensive and downtime issues.
Take a look at the different forums and articles explaining what people have experienced.

The DPF itself WILL eventually plug which during the process causes increasing back pressure and excessive heat therefore lowering engine life expectancy, Kubota especially are known in their history for longevity.
The cost for replacement of the DPF itself isn't cheap.

There is a fair percentage of users who are experiencing regen timing/ECU issues especially with particular models so down time and dealer servicing can become a major inconvenience especially with large difficult to transport tractors and where service departments are far away.

From my understanding the non-DPF used machines are now becoming highly sought after with an increased resale value whereas the emissions units are taking a much heavier depreciation hit.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a feeling that this will hurt the small farmer/personal use owners the most. I'm a corn fed farm boy and grew up on the family farm. I am still in the Ag sector as an old man, but not farming and can attest that most the decent size and up farmers have service contracts on their big tractors and don't have to leave the farm to get them serviced (massive repair does usually take the tractor away). When leased, at least when we did, we included that they come and service their machine. The carbon foot print that is erased by the DPF is pretty substantial. That being said, removing it from the pick up trucks made a huge difference...that and the EFI live tuning.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was watching Gold Rush on Discovery channel. They had a DPF issue with their water pump and removed it on TV. I'm sure EPA loved that.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a feeling that this will hurt the small farmer/personal use owners the most. I'm a corn fed farm boy and grew up on the family farm. I am still in the Ag sector as an old man, but not farming and can attest that most the decent size and up farmers have service contracts on their big tractors and don't have to leave the farm to get them serviced (massive repair does usually take the tractor away). When leased, at least when we did, we included that they come and service their machine. The carbon foot print that is erased by the DPF is pretty substantial. That being said, removing it from the pick up trucks made a huge difference...that and the EFI live tuning.
My 08 6.2 F350 4X4 CC was literally in "self destruct mode" with it.

First the gradual increase of the regen process which indicates the flow is becoming less and less as time goes to the point of needing replacement. Second the heat and back pressure issues it was creating. Third the EGR cooler was known to go bad and leak as a issue. Forth and major factor, the regen process was utilized by injecting diesel through intake on the off stroke through the exhaust therefore further lessening fuel economy and diluting the engine oil. When you go to change oil, amazingly you have an "extra" quart. Of course it's doing great harm to the lubrication and potential of washing out engine main bearings and other related components. I found it amazing that the vehicles built for our "Government" did not have this system....hmm I wonder why?

I yanked my Cat/DPF and installed a strait pipe with stock muffler, ran a SCT performance tune and CTS monitor.
My EGT went down, went from 13 MPG to 20 MPG HWY and can pass about any car on a steep incline with 12ft camper and trailer in tow with ease.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
I bet the small farm / home type use is worse for them as shorter run cycles clog up the filters. I don't leave mine running, if not in use I turn it off. I'm only at 80 hours on mine but its work load is going to triple this summer as I have a 5' mower for my 11 acre pasture I need to maintain, an auger for a fencing project I'm doing myself as well as a 1400' road I am building and this machine will help with some of the small work on that with my 6' box scraper.

I delete kit would prob solve this but may affect dealer support if needed

·
Registered
260 Posts
I had a 2012 HD2500 Duramax and would get 22 mpg will full factory exhaust and DPF intact. I sold it at just under 100,000 miles and my regen intervals had almost doubled and I am hoping the new owner was a tuner type...cause it was ready to have a new DPF or a delete done.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank goodness the B series still are without DPF but soon to change. My old Duetz Allis 4X4 75HP 6275 is without one also.

I just bought a B2650, actually just got back in clearing brush, blackberry's, small trees and scotch broom for a road with my loader/box scraper. Opening up new territory to run my Can Am on the 30 acres. :p

·
Registered
415 Posts
B2650 nice. I have a B3030 I bought new in 2005. 900 hours and still runs like a clock. So glad I got it before the B3350 came out. They had a lot of problems the first few years.

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
EPA has all but shut down diesel tuning and deleting. It sucks, main turners like ppei and banks have been doing emission tuning but it sucks. Still doesn’t save your motor likes good delete. Many black market turners are still hard at it but they can basically name their own price which also sucks. No more efi live which most of us have grown to love. I’ve had it on 4 different trucks and loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
415 Posts
A large diesel truck repair shop near me got busted by the EPA for deleting emissions on semi-tractors. Came in armed and during the work day. Shut them down for several days while they investigated. There were fines, however they are still in business. Not doing deletes anymore. There is still a big market for pre 2010 truck engines to put in new chassis but the EPA is trying to shut that down, too.

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
I can buy a brand new Cummins and delete and tune but the cost is outrageous now. Really sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We used to run duetz engines on our bailers some 28 years ago. Huge fan of them! Quite dependable and easy to work on.
Yes those Deutz Diesels are fantastic air cooled motors.... The 75hp Duetz Allis 4X4 is one helluva machine, it's probably 30+ years old but still a work horse.

It's been down for awhile and didn't need to use it, now I'm back at it. Have to weld on a hydraulic fitting that I broke on my loader and get it back working again. I've yarded some big azz timber out of the woods with that thing.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yup air cooled and made to keep a steady RPM cranking out hour after hour. We pulled the 3 tie bailers from the back of dually diesels...had a control box in the cab and could start and stop and idle up etc...all from the cab. We took off the truck beds and goose neck pulled the bailers. Had a 100 gallon diesel transport tanks on each truck against the roll cage. The other thing is I don't remember the deutz being very noisy either.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yup air cooled and made to keep a steady RPM cranking out hour after hour. We pulled the 3 tie bailers from the back of dually diesels...had a control box in the cab and could start and stop and idle up etc...all from the cab. We took off the truck beds and goose neck pulled the bailers. Had a 100 gallon diesel transport tanks on each truck against the roll cage. The other thing is I don't remember the deutz being very noisy either.
They have a nice smooth diesel sound, not a rattle clacking sound like most others.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts