Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

Here is the deal...I had the dealer install the lighter weights in my Max. It runs awesome above 8000 feet but below 6000 it has awesome low end but the top is terrible (into the rev limiter to easy).

Are these clutches like a polaris clutch and you just need a pry bar to take pressure of the weights or do I need to remove the clutch and dig deeper?

Also any recommendations on the weights.

·
Registered
36 Posts
buy a clutch that you can tune. I don't think you can tune the stock clutch. Check out STM clutches, get in contact with Kris at cold blooded performance.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Gents,

Here is the deal...I had the dealer install the lighter weights in my Max. It runs awesome above 8000 feet but below 6000 it has awesome low end but the top is terrible (into the rev limiter to easy).

Are these clutches like a polaris clutch and you just need a pry bar to take pressure of the weights or do I need to remove the clutch and dig deeper?

Also any recommendations on the weights.
Remove the primary mounting bolt or stud if you have the recall done and the outer half of the clutch comes right off. Slide off the governor cup and the weights are right there.....However, unless you are running aftermarket weights that are adjustable, it is going to get real expensive really quick buying OEM weights to tune with.

Here is a link to the manual for clutch disassembly for reference...

http://www.maverickforums.net/forum/7-general-maverick-discussions/3434-2013-maverick-manual-cvt.html

Reactions: Wweverett

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I plan on going back to the stock weights. For the most part I didn't need the extra rpm in the mountains anyway it was more so I could out run my buddies xp....which it did above 8000 feet. But winter is here and I will ride a lot in Moab. It pulls hard at 4000 feet till about 42mph then hits the limiter, if I baby the throttle I can get it to run a little faster.

I have the update with the stud...I just need to remove the nut on the stud, slide it off and install weights. When I retorque the nut do I need any loctite?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Don't forget you can run a combo of weights as long as you balance them. For example I'm at 3000 feet but have a lot of weight and 28s. I was only pulling 7600 rpm.

So I ordered the 4000 weight kit and installed 3 of the weights, and left 3 stock weights. Just switch every other one.

Rode this weekend. It was perfect. 7950 to 8000. You can do any combo of weights just make sure you balance the 6 weights.

I also added the EPI red spring in the secondary. I'm amazed at how well the stock setup is working.

I received a rage 3 on Friday. After messing with it for a few hours I ran out of time. So I installed stock stuff with my weight changes for our ride Saturday. I know you guys will think I'm crazy but I'm considering selling the STM. I just really liked the stock setup for my riding.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Don't forget you can run a combo of weights as long as you balance them. For example I'm at 3000 feet but have a lot of weight and 28s. I was only pulling 7600 rpm.

So I ordered the 4000 weight kit and installed 3 of the weights, and left 3 stock weights. Just switch every other one.

Rode this weekend. It was perfect. 7950 to 8000. You can do any combo of weights just make sure you balance the 6 weights.

I also added the EPI red spring in the secondary. I'm amazed at how well the stock setup is working.

I received a rage 3 on Friday. After messing with it for a few hours I ran out of time. So I installed stock stuff with my weight changes for our ride Saturday. I know you guys will think I'm crazy but I'm considering selling the STM. I just really liked the stock setup for my riding.
I like the stock gearing it had also....but the damn rpm thing sucks on the stocker. I wish canam would have just put a good clutch in it from the start cause it would be tuned better then I can tune it. I think it would also be geared better too

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I like the stock gearing it had also....but the damn rpm thing sucks on the stocker. I wish canam would have just put a good clutch in it from the start cause it would be tuned better then I can tune it. I think it would also be geared better too
I am really on the fence of what to do. I have a 4 seater btw, I will say I did not like the stock clutch in my 2 seat mav nearly as much...but I could have been more of fear factor than anything else. I purchased the QSC for my 2 seater. I really enjoyed it. Once I got it tuned I felt the low gearing at take off was awesome and it felt as close to a "stock setup" as I could want. Just with better take off due to the bearing.

So far I am not loving the STM. It feels like a light switch. It is either not engaged or it is rocketing down the road. I am not dogging it as I haven't fully given it a chance but so far I am disappointed. Are you happy with you STM once you got it tuned in. I should have got the QSC, but since they are on eternal back order I gave up.

They sent me
Gold springs
straight 40 helix
weight setup 11-3-0 with three shims.

It was waayyy off. Shaneway on here recommended 14-2-0, I also removed a shim. That helped a ton, but still a little weird at low speed. Plus the primary was noisy as can be and had some play in it, so like I said I gave up and went with stock.

Are all these things normal for an STM?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

This just might be the ticket.....so if I have the 8000 kit and I put in a three from the stock kit that would work? Or do I need to be closer...like a 6000 and and 4000?

Mine actually ran better with out hitting the limiter. I seemed low on mower but it would pull hard all day. I am an old slender and the only way we could adjust RPM was with weights so it pulled hard no matter what it would just over rev. I had an xlt tripple pulling 9400 rpm....ran it that way a whole winter with no problems other than the grin on my face.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I run 30 inch tires will that need lighter weight? If so maybe my money would be better spent in tires.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I am really on the fence of what to do. I have a 4 seater btw, I will say I did not like the stock clutch in my 2 seat mav nearly as much...but I could have been more of fear factor than anything else. I purchased the QSC for my 2 seater. I really enjoyed it. Once I got it tuned I felt the low gearing at take off was awesome and it felt as close to a "stock setup" as I could want. Just with better take off due to the bearing.

So far I am not loving the STM. It feels like a light switch. It is either not engaged or it is rocketing down the road. I am not dogging it as I haven't fully given it a chance but so far I am disappointed. Are you happy with you STM once you got it tuned in. I should have got the QSC, but since they are on eternal back order I gave up.

They sent me
Gold springs
straight 40 helix
weight setup 11-3-0 with three shims.

It was waayyy off. Shaneway on here recommended 14-2-0, I also removed a shim. That helped a ton, but still a little weird at low speed. Plus the primary was noisy as can be and had some play in it, so like I said I gave up and went with stock.

Are all these things normal for an STM?
I like the stock gearing for my riding. I ride all dirt roads and the STM is geared so low. I feal like I'm in medium range instead of high, but then on the other hand the stock crap can't hold rpm. I may have to sell my STM and some accessories on my mav anyway cause of a 7 yr split up with my girl. The mav is in her name but the SUV she drives is in mine, so I don't know if ill be keeping it now so we can get everything situated.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
If I run 30 inch tires will that need lighter weight? If so maybe my money would be better spent in tires.
If you go to 30's you will probably want to add springs as well as weights to make sure you keep your belt grip up. But yes you are on the right track. As cheap as the can-am weights are I would buy the 4000 setup and go back to 2 stock weights and 4 4000 for Moab. But if you get 30s I would run the rear epi red and maybe even the epi white in the primary with your lighter weights.

Reactions: Wweverett

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I like the stock gearing for my riding. I ride all dirt roads and the STM is geared so low. I feal like I'm in medium range instead of high, but then on the other hand the stock crap can't hold rpm. I may have to sell my STM and some accessories on my mav anyway cause of a 7 yr split up with my girl. The mav is in her name but the SUV she drives is in mine, so I don't know if ill be keeping it now so we can get everything situated.
That sucks man. Sorry to hear.

·
Registered
568 Posts
So in theory, if you run the stm clutch with somewhere around a 30" tire, it would be somewhat close to factory gearing?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am really on the fence of what to do. I have a 4 seater btw, I will say I did not like the stock clutch in my 2 seat mav nearly as much...but I could have been more of fear factor than anything else. I purchased the QSC for my 2 seater. I really enjoyed it. Once I got it tuned I felt the low gearing at take off was awesome and it felt as close to a "stock setup" as I could want. Just with better take off due to the bearing.QUOTE]

I'm thinking about switching from a 2 seater to the max. Why did you switch and what if any do you miss about the 2 seater?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I totaled my 2 seat..... Oops!

But the day I totaled it.... About an hour bf I told my wife I was going to order a max that Monday. Well definitely didn't plan to wreck the Mav but I did and progressive took great care of us.

Anyhow the max is the greatest machine I have ever owned. Everywhere I go people run over to it like its a Ferrari and look at it.

It runs and handles awesome. I take it places I'm shocked it goes and the entire time I'm talking to 3 friends instead of one.

I couldn't be more happy with the Max. It's just a bad-a** machine.

Reactions: Clifs maverick

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok...so the consensus is I could go to 30 inch tires and would be headed the right direction for the over reving....correct? But I may need a spring in the front...any suggestions on the spring? Or would I be better off installing different weights?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts