Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some help. I bought a Maverick in March and it has been in the shop now over 7 weeks total. They have worked on the clutch three times, changed the belt three times, and now insist they are going to replace the main drive train with a drive train out of an 800. I have had a file open with them for almost 3 months now and can get no resolution to these problems. They expect me to continue to pay for a unit that was in the shop for the entire month of June and is in the shop now for the second straight week. We have lost a whole summer of riding and this has become a total nightmare and I am curious if anyone has any suggestions about resolving this problem. Thanks

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Call BRP directly. I did when my clutch blew up with 29 miles on it...they took care of me right away.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I agree, you need to contact BRP directly just to make sure your dealer is not giving you the run around. Sounds like they may not know what their doing. You can also do a search on here about clutches and see if those problems seem similar, then ask those guys on here thow they got it fixed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Amazing how many people at dealers know little. Some are great and some just make crap up.
I was told some info on mine that conflict with the manual.

I agree with calling BRP directly at this point

·
Registered
711 Posts
if they are replacing the belt that often, you are having problems with

1) the clutch, its junk and hard to make it run properly once some joe-schmo at a dealership has touched it
2) possibly driving style to be leading to multiple blown belts in such a short period of time.

the clutch is bad from the factory, they suck you can get a good one and never have a problem or be like one of the other hundreds that have had it blow apart and blow belts left and right. if they replace the clutch and you are still blowing belts then you need to look at your driving style, what are you doing when the belts keep letting go? try and find a pattern of what you are doing when each belt lets go, and then try to limit your exposure to doing that particular event such as top speeds for long periods of time on pavement, back to back long uphill climbs, holding the brake and the gas at the same time on hills ect. if your dealer completely replaced the drive clutches and you are still having problems you are probably blowing the belts yourself.

if your dealer is going to replace your clutches with something out of an 800, he is WAAAYYYY off base. the maverick trans and diffs are built bigger and stronger, plus the 800 trans has a different belt alignment. he is going to get you in all sorts of messed up situation if he replaces anything from your machine with can-am 800 parts. if you cant figure that its anything you're doing wrong i may think about changing dealers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seeing how it was not right the first trip out and was taken in immediately we havent had a chance to see if it is our driving style but the RZR 900 we have and the artic cat we have are doing just fine so I doubt that be the problem. I dont understand why they would replace with 800 parts or why after having a 26,000.00 unit in the shop for 7 weeks since March is acceptable to anyone. I have been in contact with BRP daily for the past two months and they say their policy is to repair and obviously dont see a problem with the fact that we paid two payments on a vehicle that we never saw. They totally replaced the clutch and when it was returned still had a large amount of noise after unit warms up so when we took it back they did some recall work on the clutch and we demanded that it be rode for a long enough period of time by several people to diagnose the problem and they came back with the entire drive train was bad. When I discussed this with BRP they sent me a email back late yesterday that they were replacing the parts in the drive train with 800 parts. Over the months and after discussing options with a lawyer I have never once ask for money back or reimbursement on each of the 2 hour trip we haul the unit all I have ask is that they trade the unit in for a new one and us continue making payments but can get nowhere but another approaching weekend without our new ride.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
So what did they say about the replacement unit?
Does your state have a lemon law?

·
Registered
806 Posts
If brp said that, We are all in trouble. What a bunch of **** ups. 800 parts? Hey lets put a honda trans in it while we're at it. I thought my dealer was retarded, Sorry bout your luck.

·
Registered
448 Posts
What's the dealers name?

·
Registered
711 Posts
if its making bad noises after it warms up, then i would agree that something in the clutch is not kosher. a competent mechanic should be able to diagnose the problem and resolve it, replacing the drivetrain with smaller, weaker can-am 800 parts would NOT be the solution i would feel is acceptable, nor would i think in any shape form or fashion that BRP themselves would think its acceptable. yes i do understand your frustration, and the fuel in driving back and forth to the dealer and time without the machine can seriously aggrivate you. i would start pushing the dealer and BRP for a new unit. they have done it with others in the past, if the unit is absolutely defective you can push them into giving you a complete new machine. you gotta be persistant and constant though they're not just gonna offer it up for free. but if you stay on their tails they will do what it takes to make you happy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The email I got was from BRP who said their technician said that the 800 parts would work not the dealer. I have already switched dealers because the first one I took it to lied about the noise which is why we are still working on the problem after another month of headache. The current dealer is the one who confirmed the noise and told them we were not lying and that it was the drive train which he felt was not replaceable. After I had a discussion about what the dealer said with BRP that is when I got the email about the 800 parts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been on them for 3 months. Bear in mind we bought this unit to race in the Quantum Racing Rally Raids to help market our recreational vehicle repair business that we are currently starting. Yes, we do work on ATV's and UTV's daily and knew what was wrong with it from day one and they continued to act like we were crazy. This has cost us way more than BRP could imagine and they have known this the entire time and have ruined our marketing for the year as well as made me miserable. I myself drive the RZR 900 and this unit is my Fiance's. I dont think there is a price for what I as the girlfriend of a disgruntled rider has endured over the past three months being the middle person between him and BRP :) Having to face another weekend without a replacement unit and having to miss another riding trip makes me sick. When I ask for the number of someone at BRP above Loise's head she gets all pissy. They finally assigned me to a woman for some reason. I guess I was hurting the feelings of the boys I was talking to.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Good luck getting your issue resolved. I know when your in the middle of it, it cant get done fast enough.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks!!! I am sure you have a lot of beautiful acreage in San Diego to ride thru. We have lots of wonderful trails here in the Daniel Boone Forest if you are ever on the East Coast.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Thanks!!! I am sure you have a lot of beautiful acreage in San Diego to ride thru. We have lots of wonderful trails here in the Daniel Boone Forest if you are ever on the East Coast.
Actually our state & county gov does not allow you much riding area because of the population. It was much better 40 yrs ago when you could ride on the beach in certain spots. Now I have to go the desert or race tracks to ride.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I would find out bout your states lemon law then call BRP n tell them your lawyer will be contacting them next with some lemon law paper work if they don't replace the unit.
Listen you didn't pay 26,000 for a SxS with a 800cc drivetrain you bought a 1000 rotax if they don't give you a fully functional Maverick with 1000 running gear than they aren't following the guidelines of the contract you signed when you bought it Get A Lawyer that knows his lemon laws.....

·
Registered
806 Posts
i would find out bout your states lemon law then call brp n tell them your lawyer will be contacting them next with some lemon law paper work if they don't replace the unit.
Listen you didn't pay 26,000 for a sxs with a 800cc drivetrain you bought a 1000 rotax if they don't give you a fully functional maverick with 1000 running gear than they aren't following the guidelines of the contract you signed when you bought it get a lawyer that knows his lemon laws.....
word!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Yep and it sounds like his problem may qualify. Manufacturers and dealers will push you around with BS to see what you will settle for, just so it saves them money.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts