Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Factory cage failures

10K views 70 replies 21 participants last post by  Scott F 
#1 ·
I wanted to start a thread seeing pictures of peoples factory cages after roll overs and where they failed. I’ve seen some pics online and a couple threads, but I thought it’d be good to compile some for anyone interested in adding gussets to their OEM cage.
I think it’d be helpful to see a picture or 2, and a brief explanation of how it rolled, the speed it occurred at, and landed. Let me know what y’all think!

#2 ·
I think it is beneficial to any SXS owner, of any SXS manufacturer to get an aftermarket cage. Stock stuff is there only for the sake of stopping lawsuits. But, and it's a big but, a stock cage will fold up like a cheap card table.

Reactions: Tmesic
#8 ·
Lol no, just thinking about doing some cage gussets myself and deciding where I want to put one or two. Everyone talks smack on the OEM cage which I get, but it seems to do a decent job, and I think a gusset or two put in the proper place would solve all of my safety concerns. One near the driver head from the chassis up, and a second a pillar would probably make it more than tough enough for just people.
I’d just like to see more pics of failures as I’m sure others would too

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
We rolled (2020 XRC 800 smiles) about 1.5 times doing about 55 with no damage to the cage or frame, just needed to replace a lower a arm, and that was 10,000 smiles ago.
The upper arm had a little tweak and we JUST replaced it at 10,800 smiles.

Just a note, at that 10,800 smiles we finally added, gusset kit, shock tower brace and a few other items, we need this car to last another 10,000 smiles.

Barbara

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
We rolled (2020 XRC 800 smiles) about 1.5 times doing about 55 with no damage to the cage or frame, just needed to replace a lower a arm, and that was 10,000 smiles ago.
The upper arm had a little tweak and we JUST replaced it at 10,800 smiles.

Just a note, at that 10,800 smiles we finally added, gusset kit, shock tower brace and a few other items, we need this car to last another 10,00 smiles.

Barbara

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
It's nice to see when someone can put a lot of miles on without any major modifications. I am a true believer in this, and all the drivers out there that just drive it like you stole it won't be getting this kind of satisfaction. I truly understand how a good driver can make parts work and a bad driver simply break everything all the time.

#9 ·
I disagree with the OEM cage being sub-par. I rolled my 2018 doing almost 70 mph when the rear tire blew out. It was violent and I counted 4 rolls. I was unhurt and the car landed on it’s wheels. Yes, it was bent up pretty good but never to the point I would have been injured because it caved in. In the end the car was a total loss because of all the damage done to it. As far as I’m concerned, spend the money on some good harnesses as they will save your bacon. Let the car do what it was designed to do, crush where it was designed to. I won’t be installing an aftermarket cage on my 2022 when I get it either.

#43 ·
That's a bingo boys

#11 ·
View attachment 283781
my thoughts were this would secure my wife and I from any potential head and neck injuries, but the second a pillar on top of this could be overkill unless I saw more significant failures than I know about.
I've often thought close the same, and somehow adding a bit more to the A pillar.
I feel intrusion bars help a bit too.

#28 ·
#42 · (Edited)
This is a question we get at least once or twice a week. There is no 1 answer fits all on the OEM cage. We've had cars in here that have been flopped numerous times and rolled once (same car) and while showing damage the passenger compartment was intact so that would be a HUGE plus in the OEM cage column. We have also seen very low speed flops where the cage tweaked really badly. There are so many varaibles that take place during an oops moment that it is IMPOSSIBLE to declare yay or nay on factory cages being decent enough to save you in a crash or a must replace right out of the gate. I will say that in MOST cases we have seen the OEM cage does it's job and savse occupants from critical injury. They are 10000% a 1 use item! You flop or roll your car with a factory cage (and some aftermarket cages) they SHOULD be replaced! The OEM cage and chassis are made from an alloy that is super hard which allows it to be thinner and lighter than what you would normally see in a chassis or cage BUT it does not like to flex, bend or take impacts well which means that when any of those things happen the material gets much much weaker and failure prone. If you ride in terrain that can possibly lead to multiple angle hits to the roll cage during the same oops moment or you drive like Evil Knievel a GOOD roll cage would be a good piece of bodily harm prevention. Getting into aftermarket cage construction and what type of riding you are doing is another topic all together. Be very specififc when your dome pierce is on the line!

#45 ·
A good aftermarket cage should have triangulation in it everywhere. That's what makes it strong.
A good OEM cage should have triangulation in it everywhere. That's what makes it strong.

Reactions: Hampton
#46 ·
I’ve rolled twice now, hopefully that’s it 😜. Both with stock cages, a few scratches, but it didn’t bend anything, but they where not violent rolls. It’s amazing how easy you can roll in different situations. I turned around in a soft dirt field, nailed it and it got traction just right and went up on two wheels, I almost drove out of it staying in the gas, but it flopped over in the end. Now I’ve welded up two roll bars and I’m getting ready to do a third for my new build, this one is going to be my masterpiece 😁. I’m welding in all the gussets in the frame out there, making the roll bar out of .120 for all the critical places. I’m just wishing I could start with the 2022 30% thicker frame for the build. I’ve looked at them and they look to be more like .095 wall frames now, but I didn’t have a mike On me.

#47 ·
I have to agree that the stock roll cage could be inadequate in a rollover. While not a racer, we operate a lot in Baja as a SCORE volunteer, opening the course in the middle of the night before the Moto’s start and have to run hard, so as to get to our destination before the Pro Bikes catch us. Not fair for them to be in our dust. We also ride at Glamis and the California desert so we sometimes ride on the edge. Knowing this and not being a skilled fabricator or welder, I made the choice to go with an aftermarket roll cage that was approved for racing. I chose the cage by Long Travel Industries in Anaheim California. Couldn’t be happier. Super strong and looks awesome.

Attachments

#56 ·
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood
Vehicle Hood Blue Automotive design Motor vehicle

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

decided to follow @Scott F drawing and added in the second a pillar and tie it in over the long weekend. Through a 3/16” gusset in it for some extra beef and to mount the KC bar back on.

I’ll probably go with the extreme performance cage in the next 12 months but I don’t want to spend that kind of money right now.

#57 ·
That A2 looks great. Did you make it removable?

#59 ·
Right, I didn't notice the 2018. Did you take any pics with it all apart?

#62 ·
Oregon?
Are you saying you kept riding after the first roll damage?

#68 ·
There is no need to go thicker than the oem tube anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.