Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Update on UTV Inc. Gusset kit (Front Rear Lower Gusset) -

Well, I didn't need to buy a die grinder. I had a round file and spent about 20 minutes taking my time filing the hole into a slot. Came out well. Glad I used the file. I removed just enough metal to get the bolt to slip through the slot by hand. Finally, front gusset kit completely installed and ready for a little rough riding. Also just got my CT Racing front tie rods today so going to install them this weekend.

I will note that UTV Inc did reasonably tried to fix my issue. They sent me 3 gussets (1 of them due to fit issue which they fixed) and after I complained that the hole was still off on the latest gusset and I thought the holes are off due to a possible change made by BRP during production. They replied that they have already put the gusset kit on half a dozen 2014 Mavericks including 1 Max and had no issues installing the gussets. I can't expect them to alter their manufacturing process if they can get the gusset to fit on the newer Mavericks. They also offered to give me a discount on my next order for my troubles. Good customer service so I will continue to buy product from them.
Man you suck! I hope my front tie rods and gussets from CT Racing get here tomorrow! :crying:

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
The issue with aftermarket parts is the unit they are using for the R & D may be different from other units do to manufacturing tolerences used. For instances the frames are going down an assembly line and one person mounts and/or welds the "A" arm brackets and he does it all day. I do not know if they are using robotic welders or not however even then the actual bracket fitment will vary slightly however still be with in tolerance. An example of out of tolerance is BRP replaced the frame on my Commander because the "A" bracket's were welded in the wrong location and gave the wheel way to much camber.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have read several people having issues with the utv inc gusset kit. I finally installed mine and it took all of 30 minutes and zero issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I must have gotten lucky as well. 20-30 minute install with no problems!

Reactions: UTV Inc

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The issue with aftermarket parts is the unit they are using for the R & D may be different from other units do to manufacturing tolerences used. For instances the frames are going down an assembly line and one person mounts and/or welds the "A" arm brackets and he does it all day. I do not know if they are using robotic welders or not however even then the actual bracket fitment will vary slightly however still be with in tolerance. An example of out of tolerance is BRP replaced the frame on my Commander because the "A" bracket's were welded in the wrong location and gave the wheel way to much camber.

I realize tolerance could be the issue but maybe not the only issue. I do believe BRP change something during production. The fact that my first gusset would not even go on I believe was do to the A-arm mount having thicker steel. Now I can't prove this but its my belief that is what happen. UTV Inc did change there gusset design because they were able to verify my issue on a newer Maverick. I posted thread asking if anybody could measure the metal thickness of the A-arm mount but got no feedback.

And youre right about the vendor using a unit that could be on the outside of the nominal spec. That's a gamble you take. I don't think you can do anything about that.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Are these gusset kits really needed? Or is it just something to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside? I've blasted my Mav 65+MPH over whoops and nothing is bent. Are people really having problems with tweaking the arm mounts?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Are these gusset kits really needed? Or is it just something to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside? I've blasted my Mav 65+MPH over whoops and nothing is bent. Are people really having problems with tweaking the arm mounts?
That's what I'm wondering. I've drove mine pretty hard for that first service and its worked flawless. But I ordered some from ct racing to be safe.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
If your very experienced, and good at tire placement, and are quick to hit the brakes when you see a large rock or tree etc, then you might be fine for years. But, it just takes one little mistake, and you have a bent frame or a arm mount sheared off. The front always takes the brunt of the hit. That's most important thing to remember. The rear is basically along for the ride.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Like Glamisfan said, one little mistake and you could have serious damage. Ive ridden snowmobiles, ATVs & PWCs a long time but this is my first UTV so I have no experience ridding such a vehicle other than renting a popo twice. I bought the gusset set for just in case I do make a mistake because of my lack of experience. My insurance deductible is $500. The gusset kit was $200. Cheap insurance for some piece of mind.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I never thought I needed gussets until I met some on the trail and had to dart off in a ditch. I've rode over 10,000 miles in sxs's and never have tore off a a-arm tab but it's just cheap insurance.

·
Registered
107 Posts
But what I'm thinking is, if you really have to dart off in the woods to avoid hitting someone, or you do a whoopsie and blast a rock a little too hard whos to say that the gusset isnt going to bend as well. Its not like those gussets are 1/2" steel. And you have to remember that the gusset is only going to be as strong as what you are bolting it too. Maybe its a good thing that you bend an A-arm mount versus bending the whole frame because you just made the mount stronger then the frame.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
But what I'm thinking is, if you really have to dart off in the woods to avoid hitting someone, or you do a whoopsie and blast a rock a little too hard whos to say that the gusset isnt going to bend as well. Its not like those gussets are 1/2" steel. And you have to remember that the gusset is only going to be as strong as what you are bolting it too. Maybe its a good thing that you bend an A-arm mount versus bending the whole frame because you just made the mount stronger then the frame.
The gusset kit increases the range of what it will take to cause severe damage. So a hit that might have bent the factory gusset will do no damage or a hit that would have tore off your factory gusset may do nothing or a slight bend that is easily repaired. It bascially increases your margin of error.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Well have another issue to deal with. I order the QSC / STM clutches from Kris of Cold Blooded Performance. Place an order in early July waited a few weeks and didn't hear anything from him. Contacted him on July 26 and he responded the same day and said that there was some issues at the machine shop and got delayed a few weeks. He said my order would be shipping in 2-3 weeks. I still don't have my clutch as of today so I emailed him today and will see what is going on.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Did you get in on the group buy? As hard as it might be, your patience will be rewarded with a SWEET set up. I know your probably losing riding time time.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Yes. I was part of the group buy. I am trying to be patient and I am a reasonable guy. I just don't think its good business practice to say when you are going to deliver product after you already gave 1 excuse on a delay and still don't deliver. If it were me selling something to a customer and I didn't do as I say I was going to do, I would be letting that customer know immediately. Really no excuse for this at all. Simply not professional.

I'm sure its a great product but customer service is a big deal to me. If your product is good but your service is bad, I won't buy the product no matter how good it is. Like you said, I am losing out on riding time for something I shouldn't have paid for until it shipped.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
You can still ride your vehicle, so your not really losing riding time. Kris is a middleman and doesn't make these clutches. Once he gets them then he sets it up his tested way. I understand your pissed at the situation and believe its all his fault or he's not doing more to get you satisfied. All I can say is he will make it right when its possible to do so.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Yes, you're right I can ride and I know he doesn't make the clutches. I am paying for not just the clutches but his expertise. Its the fact that I paid over $1300 and haven't got to experience the thrill of that money spent. I am reasonable enough to see if he will make this situation right. Stay tune. I will definitely report what happens next.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
He will get you taken care of and it will be worth it. He knows what he's doing with the set up probably better than anyone. So if you want the best set up, you have to wait for it. I was in the same boat, that's why Im telling you to be patient even tho its difficult right now.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I ordered my QSC/STM setup on 8/01. Kris told me up front it would be 3 weeks or so before he would get the clutches in and then he would set them up based on my info and then get them shipped out. I followed up with him on the 13th just to see if he had any update at that time not expecting them to be ready but just curious. He told me it would be 2 or so more weeks. So I assume there is a big back order for the QSC's and once he gets them in, will start getting them shipped out.....This is my first time dealing with Kris but I believe he will deliver as promised but as desertdog said, he is not the manufacturer so he is at the mercy of his suppliers (in this case Quad Shop Customs).

Actually, your best bet is to call him and talk to him. I bet you will feel better about the situation after the phone call.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts