Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would start a thread where members could post the problems they experienced with accessories purchased from Can Am or Aftermarket. Please post only problems or issues observed with the accessory you purchased. Please also comment on how the vendor or Can Am responded or took care of the issue. I think it would be good to see what products have been problematic and how the seller took care of the issue. This will help members make a better and informed decision on the product they are considering purchasing. At the least, the member can ask the seller about a reported issue on the product and hopefully gain a better experience with the product. This thread can also help the vendors out on reported issues to look out for and hopefully they will take the time to look at their inventory before sending it out to insure a positive experience for future buyers.

So I have to admit that my accessory purchases to date for my Maverick has not been a good experience overall. I have own many power sport toys and this is my first side x side experience. The accessories I have purchased to date gives me a feeling that side x side accessories are inferior to other power sport accessories. This is a general opinion of mine.

So here is what I have experience to date:

1) Seizmik rear and side view mirrors purchased from Power Sport Junkies. I have purchased stuff from Power Sport Junkies before and their customer service is excellent. I actually had a damage rear view mirror that they replace quickly and without argument. The Seizmik rear view mirror I still have an issue that I am dealing with Seizmik about. The clamp that holds the mirror has a hole for the bolt to thread into the weld nut. The issue is that the clearance hole does not align with the weld nut. The clamp is simply not design correctly for a 2" bar. Seizmik has been ok to deal with so far. They responded quickly to my emails and even called me. They sent me a replacement clamp but it had the same issue. I emailed them again and they responded by email the next day stating they were sending out a redesigned bracket. Now that's sounds impressive but I am waiting to see if this truly fixes my issue. I will comment my comments to this story later. See picture of issue.

IMG_3217.JPG

2) Super ATV EZ Steering kit from Devious Powersports. My first purchase from Devious Powersports. No issues with the vendor. This kit was very easy to install and the overall experience was good so far. The only issue I experienced which I consider small is that there is a blue wire that is part of the harness that the manufacturer makes no comment about in their paper instructions or youtube video. The video was great. I used it instead of the paper instructions but I will also say that the paper instructions do not follow the same steps as the video instructions. I found out what the purpose of the blue wire was for on this forum. It's a speed sensing wire that is not used. Again overall good experience except for the blue wire issue.

3) UTV Inc. whip mount. This is my first experience dealing with UTV Inc. I purchased a whip mount that was supposed to be for a 1 1/2 inch bar so that I could mount my safety flag on the front bumper. UTV Inc. sent me a 1 3/4 inch mount. The part label says 1 1/2 inch but when I measure the mount it was clear to me that this was meant for a 1 3/4 inch bar. The other issue I had with the mount was that there are 4 socket head screws to hold the mount to the bar. 3 of the screws are 3/4 inch long and 1 was 5/8 inch long. No reason for this that I can see. I sent an email to UTV Inc. about my issues yesterday but have not heard from them yet. Hopefully I will hear from them on Monday. I will complete my comments to this story later. See pictures of issue.

IMG_3238.JPG IMG_3244.JPG IMG_3246.JPG

4) UTV Inc. A-arm gusset kit. I purchased this item at the same time as the whip mount. Well I attempted to install this kit today and I started with the rear lower support first because I read that desertdog was having issues so I wanted to see if I was going to have the same problem. I have at least one common issue. My support is too narrow. So narrow I could not get it to fit over my A-arm mounts. I tried to spread the tabs apart buying taking a long bolt with some nut and washers. It help but the support would not fit over the bracket enough to align any of the holes. The problem is the tabs are too narrow at the fold of the support. Now I could take a sledge hammer and force it but I don't want to risk damaging other parts. This bracket should be designed to have a slight clearance fit and allow the bolt to squeeze the tabs tight. See pictures of issues.

front_rear lower_A-arm_mounts.jpg UTVINC_front_rear_lower_support_pic1.jpg

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
It is possible the unit the "A" Arm brace was designed off of was using thinner metal and was upgraded on units after that.

·
Registered
684 Posts
50.00 dollars on a flag mount seems to expensive. I bought 2 flag mounts from Rocky Mountain for 10.00 each.
They come in horizontal or vertical mount. Very nice finish and hardware.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
50.00 dollars on a flag mount seems to expensive. I bought 2 flag mounts from Rocky Mountain for 10.00 each.
I saw that mount online but it seemed too thin. It looks stronger than I thought. I may still buy it and just return the other mount. What length of flag do you use? I have to use a 10 foot flag on the bumper at Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Michigan.

·
Registered
684 Posts
We have to be 9 feet above ground in Oregon. Mounting high on the machine allows you to use pretty much any flag

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well at Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Michigan UTVs must have flags mounted at the front of the vehicle which means you don't have much choice other than a bumper to mount the flag to which is why the standard flag lengths are about 10 feet at least in Michigan to insure that the top of the flag is 10 feet when mounted on the vehicle.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I am not sure but think these mounts come in the size you are looking for. Good To know about why you were putting it in that location.
Gotta follow the rules!

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think youre right so I may still get one. For $10, Its worth the risk.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
+ 1 on ^^^^^ I used 2 for mounting my light bar, and 2 for my flag mounts. At $10 each, can't go wrong.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Well at Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Michigan UTVs must have flags mounted at the front of the vehicle which means you don't have much choice other than a bumper to mount the flag to which is why the standard flag lengths are about 10 feet at least in Michigan to insure that the top of the flag is 10 feet when mounted on the vehicle.
damn so u guys gotta cruz around with a 10' flag on the front bumper , whipping around the whole ride at u

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep and most put a tennisball or racquetball through the stick of the flag so that the stick does not damage the hood or grille.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Daaamn that sucks! Shhhh don't tell Cali or it won't be long.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well to be honest, Ive come close to hitting an on coming rider coming up the same hill as me and if it were not for that 10 foot flag I may have not been able to react in time to miss the rider. Putting that flag on the front bumper also helps to react faster. Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Michigan has an area that flows only 1 direction but there are other areas that can flow in any direction.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought I would give an update on some of the problems I was experiencing on some of my aftermarket parts I purchased.

1) Seizmik Rearview Mirror - Ok so Seizmik sent a second revised clamp which fixed the issue being able to secure the clamp to the roll bar. The customer service was good. They shipped the second clamp the day I called and complained so couldn't expect better response than that. I was able to ride and see how the mirror performed. Well it was great for the first 20 miles then I notice that my rear view mirror kept moving. The wind speed was too much for the ball socket and keeps moving my mirror. If I go anything over 30 miles per hour my mirror moves. If you have a windshield this is not an issue but I don't have a windshield yet. I contacted Seizmik about the issue. The shipped a new arm that day. Again great response and no hassle. I just received the arm so I am going to install it, do some riding and give an update on this issue. I can tell this arm is much better. The ball socket is very tight compared to my original.

seizmik_rearview_mirror_arm_issue.jpg

2) UTV Inc. whip mount - Ok so UTV Inc sent me a new whip mount. It measure 1.5" diameter. The mount fits nice. At first, I thought I had another fit problem. The clamp comes with (2) C-shaped halves plus the main platform. The C-shaped halves wouldn't go on easy then I realized UTV inc designed it to snap on so it stays somewhat in place while you attach the main piece. I like it. Now the customer service part of it kinda got screwed up as far as timing of the shipment but UTV Inc in the end fix their mistake to my satisfaction. The other comment I will make is for some reason they sent me 4 short (5/8) screws for this new clamp instead of 3/4 long screws. I took the (3) 3/4 screws from the wrong size clamp and used them so I have 1 short screw still. Not going to bother UTV Inc over a small issue.

IMG_3271.JPG IMG_3272.JPG

3) UTV Inc. Gusset kit (Front Rear Lower Gusset) - Ok well I finally got a chance to install the updated front rear lower gusset support from UTV Inc. Well they fixed the fit issue. It slides on perfect now but the holes don't align on the driver side. I can get the bolt through on the passenger side if I lightly tap it in with a hammer but no way the bolt is going in on the driver side. I measured that the hole is off by approximately 2mm. I cant leverage the hole enough to move enough to start the bolt. I also tried to put the bolt through on the driver side first but couldn't do it. I also rotated the bracket 180 degrees and that didn't help either. I seem to have the same issue as desertdog but maybe not as severe.

The hole is off approximately 2.6mm cross vehicle and approximately 2mm up/down. I measured approximately 367.8mm from center to center of the A-arm mounting hole. The UTV Inc bracket measures approximately 365.2mm from center to center of hole. I also measure from the underside of the gusset to the top of the hole and got approximately 16mm. My Maverick A-arm mount from peak of the mount to the top of hole measures approximately 18mm.

UTV Inc. is sending another front rear lower gusset as of last week but since they had only heard of 2 people complain about the hole location which was desertdog and myself, they feel at this time that the issue is an isolated one and doesn't support making changes to the manufacturing process. They did tell me that they tried one of their gussets on another Maverick and said that the hole was slightly off but that they could get aligned enough to tap the bolt through. I don't have faith that this new gusset is going to align correctly because a couple more people recently just complained about the same issue. I will update this post when I get the new gusset which should be this week.

UTVinc_gusset_folds revised.jpg UTVinc_gusset_hole_issue_pic1.jpg UTVinc_gusset_hole_issue_pic2.jpg UTVinc_gusset_hole_issue_pic3.jpg

·
Registered
853 Posts
I have read several people having issues with the utv inc gusset kit. I finally installed mine and it took all of 30 minutes and zero issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Good thread so here's a bump.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update on UTV Inc. Gusset kit (Front Rear Lower Gusset) -

Well, I didn't need to buy a die grinder. I had a round file and spent about 20 minutes taking my time filing the hole into a slot. Came out well. Glad I used the file. I removed just enough metal to get the bolt to slip through the slot by hand. Finally, front gusset kit completely installed and ready for a little rough riding. Also just got my CT Racing front tie rods today so going to install them this weekend.

I will note that UTV Inc did reasonably tried to fix my issue. They sent me 3 gussets (1 of them due to fit issue which they fixed) and after I complained that the hole was still off on the latest gusset and I thought the holes are off due to a possible change made by BRP during production. They replied that they have already put the gusset kit on half a dozen 2014 Mavericks including 1 Max and had no issues installing the gussets. I can't expect them to alter their manufacturing process if they can get the gusset to fit on the newer Mavericks. They also offered to give me a discount on my next order for my troubles. Good customer service so I will continue to buy product from them.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts