Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Harbor Freight has a 90 amp flux Mig welder in sale $69.00.

Question is can I fab stuff up with this & burn some stuff up while learning to weld? I'm not looking to be the next AReed just have some fun & experiment.....maybe bumper or receiver who knows....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
Lol on the AReed plug.

Flux core welders suck. I would at least find something that can run gas. Although it's a lot more I have a new Miller auto set 140 in the shop that we use for bumpers and the performance of that little thing blows my mind. The 252 handles the big boy stuff.
Regardless harbor freight stuff is generally (in stereotypical Asian voice) one time, two time, no more time

·
Premium Member
8,279 Posts
horror fright is no good for welding machines. stick with Miller if you want to have it forever and buy replacement parts for it. I use a Miller 135 wire feed with mixed gas bottle and Miller Maxstar 150 stl with argon bottle for tig.

now for the HF $11 grinders, i get about 4 years of use out of them then toss them in the trash. They are decent and lightweight, perfect for home use.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Humm, they have a gas 220v for $200 but I was entertaining the thought of Fn off.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree for the most part on HF quality good for a home use but not to make a living with. So 2 no's....

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have a little 80 amp centry that I have made a ton of stuff with and it's great for taking camping for trail fixes. I do have a 220amp machine that I use most of the time but its nice to have a portable machine to do out of the shop fixes or small work. Flux core is good for outside windy and dirty rusty conditions. So all and all if you only are using it in the shop I would say gas and 120 or better amps but if all around versatile and price don't be afraid of 110 power flux it has a place

·
Banned
1,017 Posts
I've had the HF 90amp for about a year now and use it half a dozen times a month for small stuff and it works great. They're great to learn/practice with.

·
Registered
545 Posts
horror fright is no good for welding machines. stick with Miller if you want to have it forever and buy replacement parts for it. I use a Miller 135 wire feed with mixed gas bottle and Miller Maxstar 150 stl with argon bottle for tig.

now for the HF $11 grinders, i get about 4 years of use out of them then toss them in the trash. They are decent and lightweight, perfect for home use.
^This.
Search CL for a used Miller or Hobart 125 - 140A unit, or spend a few $ more at cyber weld dot com for a new one; only need to buy it once. Been thru 5 HF grinders, but my 14yo Hobart 140, and 40yo Miller 300 TIG keep going.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use a Lincoln pro 135 that I have always used with a flux core wire and it works super up to 1/4" when you set it up right.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've had the harbor freight welder for 5 years no issues,its a start.to see if its somthing you wanna do,,remember you gotta start somewhere,,,but I also have a 140 mig

·
Registered
317 Posts
My first welder was a Harbor Freight welder 10 years ago. I got it to learn with. They suck for sure, but a little over 10 years later and it still works! If you can learn how to weld with the HF welder, then when you upgrade to a decent Miller, you will weld like a pro! I still take the HF welder with me to the desert occasionally and it has kept us riding a few times when things have broke.

·
Registered
528 Posts
We keep a HF 90 in the Toy-hauler when we go to the races/dunes...we have never needed but its funny how many times we have loaned it out to others for last minute fixes..

·
Registered
713 Posts
I have the Lincoln 140 which I bought because no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get a clean with with the Harbor Freight 90. However the HB 90 is great for generic welding, I wouldn't want to build a roll cage with it but for repairing a broken a-arm or trailer is perfect for the job.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Don't waste your time with a flux core machine. Hunt around for a used machine that is a real MIG machine. Miller, Lincoln and Hobart are good examples. Used ones can be had at a reasonable cost if you hunt around. If you really want nice looking stuff, learn to TIG. The equipment is a bit more costly, but you can't beat the results. If you get a TIG machine that runs in AC and has Hi Frequency, you can weld aluminum too. I would much rather find a used machine made by one of the real welding machine companies than buy a brand new no name rig from HF. Remember, if you are going to strike an arc on your Mav... disconnect the battery first!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Don't waste your time with a flux core machine. Hunt around for a used machine that is a real MIG machine. Miller, Lincoln and Hobart are good examples. Used ones can be had at a reasonable cost if you hunt around. If you really want nice looking stuff, learn to TIG. The equipment is a bit more costly, but you can't beat the results. If you get a TIG machine that runs in AC and has Hi Frequency, you can weld aluminum too. I would much rather find a used machine made by one of the real welding machine companies than buy a brand new no name rig from HF. Remember, if you are going to strike an arc on your Mav... disconnect the battery first!
Not to sound like an ass but Really? The op said he was wanting to learn how to weld not that he was looking to start a fab shop in his garage. A hi freq tig machine is no where near the price he was talking about and how many people have such machines in there garage. Don't get me wrong I would love to have one but cost and space is a factor for most. Welding flux core is a cheap easy way to learn how to weld. I can put down a good looking strong weld with my little cheap 80amp flux core 110 volt welder any where an extension cord will reach. Sure more to clean the flux off but still looks great when done. It's a good starting point. IMO ok sorry ill get off my high horse

·
Registered
548 Posts
Not to sound like an ass but Really? The op said he was wanting to learn how to weld not that he was looking to start a fab shop in his garage. A hi freq tig machine is no where near the price he was talking about and how many people have such machines in there garage. Don't get me wrong I would love to have one but cost and space is a factor for most. Welding flux core is a cheap easy way to learn how to weld. I can put down a good looking strong weld with my little cheap 80amp flux core 110 volt welder any where an extension cord will reach. Sure more to clean the flux off but still looks great when done. It's a good starting point. IMO ok sorry ill get off my high horse
Why does everybody always have to buy something new? A good machine capible of Hi Freq with some years on it can be had pretty cheap, and you can stick (which I think everyone should learn first), tig and power a wire feeder with it. An old synchrowave with a million hours on it will still outlast whatever PingPong contraption you would find new at the cheap tool store. A flux core machine will teach a new welder nothing but bad habits. Sure a big ol' monster flux core machine will work awesome if you open up a beam shop and want to do a bunch of mommet connections, but a cheap tool store rig will get you a shitty weld full of slag inclusions, cold lap a lot of grinding and bad habits. Why anyone would put themselves through the misery that is the shitty flux core machine is an idea beyond my comprehension, but what do I know... Maybe I am a welder snob because specialty welding was the way I made my living the last 15 years. i know that even if I welded it myself, I wouldn't trust much to one of those little machines.:disappointed:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Why does everybody always have to buy something new? A good machine capible of Hi Freq with some years on it can be had pretty cheap, and you can stick (which I think everyone should learn first), tig and power a wire feeder with it. An old synchrowave with a million hours on it will still outlast whatever PingPong contraption you would find new at the cheap tool store. A flux core machine will teach a new welder nothing but bad habits. Sure a big ol' monster flux core machine will work awesome if you open up a beam shop and want to do a bunch of mommet connections, but a cheap tool store rig will get you a shitty weld full of slag inclusions, cold lap a lot of grinding and bad habits. Why anyone would put themselves through the misery that is the shitty flux core machine is an idea beyond my comprehension, but what do I know... Maybe I am a welder snob because specialty welding was the way I made my living the last 15 years. i know that even if I welded it myself, I wouldn't trust much to one of those little machines.:disappointed:
Don't get me wrong I agree with you stick before anything will make abetted welder and gas welding/brazing will make a better welder/tiger. Also the old battle ship machines will last for ever and more adjustable and continuous than a small cheap machine.
Flux wire is just as strong as any other type of weld and a small machine is easy to move and take with you. Sure a used 120 -140 amp machine at a cheap price would be better. And a used monster would work for shop only use. But bottom line is flux core wire is getting a bad rap and has its place just the same as dose a budget machine.
I am not trying to start a pissing match and am not talking out of my ass I have welded for 25+ years in the railroad industry and in the shop. also not saying I know it all or am the best at anything. Just .02cents

1 - 20 of 35 Posts