Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the UTV Inc doors are pretty nice but the factory seat belt retractor says it "fits" and really doesn't, at least not well. So instead of putting it where it could rub the seat or bow the body plastic out around it (stupid looking) I busted out the chop saw, dremel and welder. I got some 14 gage 1-1/4" square sign post type material at Lowe's. Remove the tail light wires from the plastic channel they are in under the machine. You need to dremel open the plastic right there for the 1-1/4" tubing to fit thru so it can sit flat on the factory frame (they will go right back into place when you are done.) The tubing I used already has 5/16" diameter holes in it 1" apart and it is super rigid. I cut a piece for each side that was 6.25" long. This length fits flush to the bottom of the 2" square factory frame that runs side to side behind the seats and just in front of the bed area. You can see it from the top and if you stick your head under the rear wheel well area. Anyway, with this new piece of tube flush with the bottom of the frame the top of the new tube will sit just under the lip of the factory plastic divider between the cabin and the cargo area. I elongated the top hole of my square tube to utilize the locator tab on the seat belt retractor and I stepped drilled the 3rd hole open to 7/16" so I could easily fit a 10mm bolt, washers, and nylock nut on there to hold it on. And just to be fancy I painted them black and found square furniture caps to top off the tubing. Came out real nice and I can still use a harness bar and harnesses later when I am ready.

FYI, the tubing I bought was cadmium plated. Use raw steel if at all possible. I had the worst luck getting a good ground to the factory frame. And do not forget to disconnect the battery when welding so you don't damage electronics.

Brandon

Attachments

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
nice job and write up!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ody,

Harnesses are a great security item for high speed blasting in the sand and when I decide to be "stupid" in certain places. And I will get there. But for the bulk of the trail riding we do and getting in and out a lot the factory belts are way better. But I did save room for the harness bar to fit right in!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts