Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
Two questions , did all 2018 model x3 xrs come with smart lock diffs? Also, why do some 2018 xrs have the external resivours like in the picture? And some do not, like the other picture? Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
1,058 Posts
Somebody just flipped those shocks 180°. Reservoirs are still there but facing in towards the center of the vehicle so you don't see them in the pic.

·
Premium Member
11,898 Posts
No, not all the '18s came with the smart diff. It was later on in the year builds, and they had red frames.

Yep, reservoirs are flipped. If you want, it's not a big deal. Right shock will go on left side, and vice versa. You'll need to trim the top plastic with a box cutter or Drexel, and a hair dryer. Lightly heat the plastic so it's easier to cut.

·
Premium Member
11,898 Posts
Thanks... is there a reason why they would do that?
Looks better.I should know, my car was the first to do it. UTV Inc. flipped them when they built my car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks man you have been helpful . Was it only the red frames in 2018 that had smart lock? What about the blue frames or triple blacks? And is smart lock reallt that big of a deal

·
Premium Member
11,898 Posts
Thanks man you have been helpful . Was it only the red frames in 2018 that had smart lock? What about the blue frames or triple blacks? And is smart lock reallt that big of a deal
I believe it was only the black with red frames, and later on in the year.

Year, it kind of was. The older diffs was like a 3 wheel drive, instead of true 4 wheel drive. But I have one of both, so they both work. If you're looking at 18s, and it's a good price, and not beat on, get it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm almost positive that the only vehicles in 2018 with SmartLok were the XRC versions (blue frame). In 2019, this wasn't the case- as most of the XRS versions came with SmartLok. The viscous locker is OK depending on how you drive but severely limited in capability. It's not a true locker, particularly if your rock crawling, has issues with ring-gear bolts coming undone, and utilizes different size axles (passenger/driver-side) which necessitates carrying a left and right axle spare (if you ride hard and want to be prepared on the trail/track).

·
Premium Member
11,898 Posts
I'm almost positive that the only vehicles in 2018 with SmartLok were the XRC versions (blue frame). In 2019, this wasn't the case- as most of the XRS versions came with SmartLok. The viscous locker is OK depending on how you drive but severely limited in capability. It's not a true locker, particularly if your rock crawling, has issues with ring-gear bolts coming undone, and utilizes different size axles (passenger/driver-side) which necessitates carrying a left and right axle spare (if you ride hard and want to be prepared on the trail/track).
The black / red had it too.

Reactions: Gotink

·
Registered
14 Posts
Interesting, thanks. That color combo must have been offered on the late 2018 models. Red/gold definitely was not SL equipped for 2018.

·
Premium Member
7,761 Posts
The shocks being flipped nake a little easier to adjust the dampening. It's right out there in the open.

Tim

·
Premium Member
11,898 Posts
Interesting, thanks. That color combo must have been offered on the late 2018 models. Red/gold definitely was not SL equipped for 2018.
Yep, that's what I said, late build.

Reactions: S0905523

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is there actually a way to tell if it is smartlock or not?
In smart lock models?
Also how would you tell if a non smartlock model was upgraded to a smartlock diff at canam.

cheers!

·
Premium Member
11,898 Posts
What are you actually looking at?

·
Premium Member
7,761 Posts
The 4WD and 2WD switch had a third position, a momentary on at the top. Then there is a switch with like trail and rock or trail active or something like that. Tim

·
Registered
479 Posts
There are also a few accessories out there that you must flip the shocks (razzies out) if you choose to install.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What are you actually looking at?
this is the exact car I’m looking at. The cage has been painted , it’s an 2018 XRS. Only 30 hours but lots of mods. Doesn’t look like it was the canam red and black anywhere. But current owner is claiming it has smartlock but he’s barely used it and doesn’t really seem to know what he’s talking about.Looks more like it was triple black to me.If it has smart lock I’ll pull the trigger on it but if not I think I’ll try find a red one.I just don’t know how to tell if it has smartlock or if it has had it added after the fact

1 - 20 of 54 Posts