Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Today I put a down payment on an 14 XRS, Going to be few weeks before it comes in!!! Can't wait!! So this gives me some time to decide on the Extended warranty my dealer offer's. They call it a service plan. Basically its 3years, takes care of all of my service for next 3 years, All my oil changes, air filter, diff fluid, whatever it needs. Also covers any repairs, blown motor, diff etc.. BUT... It does NOT cover wearable parts, brakes, bearings, bushings, tie-rods, belts. Axle are a gray area.. So basically those are the things that more than likely going to need repair!! They want $1900 for this coverage!! I think is crazy, I do realize these things are pricey to work on, But imo the things that are most likely need replaced after so many miles are not even covered!! On top of that, the dealer is 40min drive from me, I think in the next 3years its going to get old driving 40min for an oil change.. I don't have any problem changing my own oil, diff fluids, etc.. I've bought numerous new quads before, I've never bought a extended warranty, I've always did my own service, and have had rather good luck, never really wished I bought it or needed it!! So my question is, did you buy any type of warranty? Are you glad you did? Was it worth it? Or are most of you doing your own oil changes and service? How big of a deal is an oil change on them? With the reliability of the maverick, I'm not sure if its really worth $1900 for a warranty that doesn't cover important things like bearings, bushings, etc!! How do you guys feel about the high priced warranty?? Thanks

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I'd spend the 2k on clutches or shock work. Buy a service manual, and learn to do the service yourself, and get to know your machine. I bought a 3 year extended warranty with mine over a year ago. 1500 miles later, I have not had to use it and wish I had spent that money elsewhere. YMMV

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
pocket the cash and do the servicing yourself so you know it is done right......$1900 will buy you a lot of aftermarket items that will never break (i.e. tie rods).......

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I deal with the automotive versions of these policies all the time in my job. Stay away from the extended warranties! As you are discovering, they are "designed" to cover only the things that are most likely NOT to break. Pure gravy and a bottom line builder for the dealers and the insurance company. I never buy them. And, as the other guys here are telling you, use that $1900 for a handful of cool accessories instead.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
who is to say that when you take it in for servicing that they are even doing all of it or doing it correctly. I have major trust issues when it comes to relying on someone else to do things on my vehicles. Just too many stories of bad experiences.....and motorcycle shops are notoriously worse than automotive shops because you are likely to get someone with even less training or education working on your equipment.....

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
warranties have allways paid off or double for me ! - but on the mav I don't use it much I havnt had to use warranty , yet !

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that's kinda what I was thinking, just changing brands to can am, I didn't know if it was something to get because I know they can be bit more pricey to work on, but I hope I'm not going to be having major issue's were I would need it!! Benzo, lets hope you don't have to use the warranty. What about on the first 20hr service? Most you doing it yourself? or taking it to dealer??? Thanks

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I was scared getting into the hi tech computer crap , sensors ,wires ,drive by wire ,hi dollar shocks and diff's all the new crap coming from a 660 rhino haha, I bought the warranty for comfort , it was $1000, thru rpm1 full coverage 4 years ,

I bought the service warranty to cuz I know the guys and they do good work !, I got both cuz now I can say hey u guys service it and look it over so should be no problems with warranty claims , lol

·
Registered
529 Posts
my dealer offered the 5 year plan for 900

·
Registered
413 Posts
I also deal with this in my job, as for cars buy it! Toys not so much. I have a 5 year in mine as I had 3 dealers competing for my purchase & it came to a included warr & I went with them for a extra 15 min drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
548 Posts
I got a 3 yr warranty on mine. If I need it, I will be glad I have it, but it kinda sucks having to take voiding the warranty into consideration when I want to do mods. I buy a new truck whenever the warranty runs out, but I don't modify my pickups. It just seems different with a toy. I would say a good insurance policy is probably more likely to pay off than a warranty on the Mav.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was scared getting into the hi tech computer crap , sensors ,wires ,drive by wire ,hi dollar shocks and diff's all the new crap coming from a 660 rhino haha
That's what my first thought was about this situation!! On the other hand, I'm not really reading much out there where people are having probs! maybe a few that mud racers, but nothing that seems to be an on going prob with these machines.
my dealer offered the 5 year plan for 900
That's a steal, I would be all over it if I got that offer!
Any insurance or warranty is a scam til you need it
That's prob the best way to put it
I also deal with this in my job, as for cars buy it! Toys not so much. I have a 5 year in mine as I had 3 dealers competing for my purchase & it came to a included warr & I went with them for a extra 15 min drive.
15min drive would influence me some, like I said dealer is 40min one way! they have to do the oil changes to keep the service plan! kinda pain. Next closer dealer is 1.5 hour away, next is over 2.5hr away!
I'm leaning toward not getting, like I said, I've never in the past, and it hasn't bit me. I'm kinda roll the dice kinda guy. I never even considered it on a new RZR (if I would of went that route) popo dealer is 10min drive. I know the owner very well, all the new popo's I've bought, he has always told me, ah chances are your not going to use the warranty!! with a dealer that close. you can imagine the number of rzr's running around! 99% of them don't have warranty.. but from what I'm reading it would be a rzr needing a warranty over a can am!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am not a fan of purchasing extra warranty but if you do make sure it is transferable. That helps a whole bunch if you ever decide to sale it before the warranty expires. Mine come with a two year warranty with the purchase. Other than that I would not buy it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I actually just bought a new '14 maverick dps and no way in hell was i going to buy that warranty! I took that money i would of spent on a (more then likely useless) warranty and bought aftermarket stuff! I've bought lots of new dirt and sport bikes over the years and a couple quads and my maverick is my 3rd side by side. I use to buy warranties years ago when i was much younger and didn't know any better, but I haven't bought an extended warranty in probably the last 10 years. With all that said, I did something against my normal routine. I also just purchased a new '14 yfz450r and bought an extended warranty with it. The reason being is this is a full race quad and i'd never heard of an extended warranty being offered on a "race quad" I found out yamaha is the only company that actually offers an extended warranty on a race quad. The warranty was only $600 for an additional 4 years, so i took it. Being a "race" quad/bike those things blow up and have problems all the time (if ridden hard), so for $600 over the next 4 years will more then pay for it for all the things that could and very possibly go wrong since this quad will have it's "neck rung" when ridden! You do what you want and will allow you to sleep better at night, but unless you plan on racing your Maverick I would advise to not waste your money on it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the info guys, its been really helpful!! Like I said my first thoughts was "no way" I even told salesman that when he first mention it, after thinking on it I thought I better ask on here before I make the choice!! I didn't want to not get it, then post on here sometime and everyone say "what you didn't get the warranty!!" haha didn't want to be the odd one of the bunch!! My first thought was, dam I can buy a lot of acc for $1900, as I know I want roof, stereo, windsheld right off that bat!! Thanks again for the info and help on this. I'm pretty stoked about getting this thing! I've owned quads and bikes my entire life, so I'm not new to the sport. Its crazy to see me back into a BRP, When I was 18 I bought a brand new 99 DS650 I turned into alcohol breathing drag quad! one of the funest quads I owned, Had a blast on that thing! Raced every weekend! So here I am back with a BRP!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I got 5 year to include in writing the factory clutch for $400 just to do business at one dealer so couldn't pass it up
For less than a grand it was worth it to have some assurance on most parts

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I got 5 year to include in writing the factory clutch for $400 just to do business at one dealer so couldn't pass it up
For less than a grand it was worth it to have some assurance on most parts
I would have done the same for that price.......is it transferrable?

·
Registered
728 Posts
OP it reads like they are selling you a service plan. $1900 for 3 years service is questionable. I paid $800 for the factory extended warranty for 3 years of coverage.
I don't believe in extended warranties but it was a 1st year product and there was some grumbling about clutch problems on the early ones, which they had.
I was in the auto business for years and the ext. warranties and service contracts were a big profit center. If you want one grinf on them for a much better price.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I paid $800 for a 5 year warranty,to me it is worth it

1 - 20 of 23 Posts