Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well were going to build a few experimental tires to Run on the Max I got against our other Max since we have a Baseline on them already. The 28s(roll out 85 to 88) 12" with 7 paddle pull my 26x12 x12 up hill in dry sand at Glamis by 1 to 2 bikes . But on flat out drags I pull his in the Mid and pull him on top end runs. Dry Sand the last 2 weekends. Now that will certainly change up once the dunes get some moisture in the sand. Multi Paddles will suffer. I have another set being made that will be grooved in the Middle so they Bite hard on the Start and Progressively change up as the tire grows and we ride in the center of the Tire. Were trying to make a Variable Pitch Tire so we will have good cornering and Launch and as the tire grows it will run on the Center of the tire with the least amount of Paddle in the sand so we will have a good top end Speed.

we think they might be a little Squirly on the Big End. LOL. Sand Is always Loose. We will see.
I have a pic of a few we just finished up. Tire Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Auto part Rim

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hopefully a good launch and fast up hill and Fast on the flats. Not to Worry I have a Few more different paddle styles coming to try next. The Digger with the Center grooved down. Once we find a good set up then we can have a New paddle Mold made. Kinda fun to find a new Cutting Edge Design.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think ur losing power with no middle bit
I want bite on the Bottom end and the Turns but I want almost nothing to Speak of at Full speed. The Lesser amount of Paddle in the Sand the Faster it is. paddles Equal Drag.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would try a 25x10x12 7 paddle against these and see how they compare ! mine pull hard - 3-4 cars over stock jumped 1 car by 10mph
Smaller tires work pretty good and are fast . But with the Newer Heavier 4 Seaters and passengers we Need some more Push when Duning.
I already Beat the XP1000 4 seaters in the mid and top when they run Multi Paddle GMZ tire. or the STUs. wait till they get some wet sand and There Mullti paddle tire is Blowing Belts and Bogging them down.LOL. Im Gonna test and tune till I find a Good Combo.
Paddles are Like Boat Props. Either you Prop for Bottom end Launch or you Prop For Top End. LOL. I want Both Top and Bottom.

Reactions: Calico_

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To bad it cant be like a variable pitch propeller like on a small plane.
Looks like you have some serious project testing ahead of you.
Yeah That's what were trying to achieve. Now It Tire Automotive tire Auto part Synthetic rubber Tread
Tire Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Fender Automotive exterior
s figuring out if we can get the fat tire casing to grow like a top fuel drag car, so the middle of the tires running surface at speed has less bite at speed but has a lot of bite on take off.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How do you attach those paddles to the tire?
They put them in a hot Press and Vulcanize the(hot rubber glue) and it cures to the buffed Tire Carcass.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
The Exciter paddles are a fun dune tire but the small blades don't push the heavy Max up olds really good at the Top. they might perform better on a lighter weight 2 seat car.
The 7 paddle 26x12.5 are still the fastest combo around and they are fun to dune cause they will slide a Little. 8 paddles are good but not quite as fast. and the 12 paddle staggered glider 26x12.5 is a good solid all around tire.
I still have another set to custom Grove and play with to see how they compare. we run these on Max 4 seaters vs Max 4 seaters in our group so we can see what changes up.
Sandslingerz as we call them or Belt slingerzz SUCK. They are as bad or worse than STUs. Stay away they throw so much sand straight up that you gotta pass your buddies with them till there in the back or you will just eat sand.

Reactions: Andy

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
you guys done anymore tire testing?
Nothing really new as of lately waiting for some dune weather. But the Skats are all great tires no matter what. They are a true Drivers Tire. The Buffed front tire along with the rears work great together in 4wd. You want a larger front tire than the rear tire or at least equal. 4wd is the fastest way to drive in every form of Motorsports and the same is true for the Dunes. Duning in 2wd is sloppy and slow. Larger Rollout in the front means the front can help pull you around turns and also help pull you through the whoops. The Molded tires almost all ways have a smaller diameter front steer tire and do not like to run in AWD, therefore the front and rear are fighting each other. You will be able to drive around your buddy in awd on the outside if you want to. LOL. :tongue:

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Warlock, what pressure do you run with the skats?
Generally nothing less than 8 or 9 in the rears and about 10 to 11 up front. People like to air all kinds of paddles down to low and it will cause the Paddle to fold back and slip a lot. More air gets more traction cause the paddle is rigid.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I just got my first set of paddles skate 12.5 8 paddle on a 10 rim you guys keep making me feel like I made a mistake and gonna be slower than my bald bighorns lol
Nope 8 paddle is just perfect. as long as you have the Buffed Skat up front, there is no combination made by any other company that will out perform those. Gauranteed.

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
warlock I did get the buff upfront I measured it and it was shorter than the rear. After talking to Tim he said to fix it so I told me dealer I needed to return my front buffs for a taller one. They should be in any day. So I hope the 8 paddle with buffs in front will be a good decision on my two seater?
Yeah you want equal to or more Rollout on the front tire vs rear.
So in 4WD the fronts not fighting the rear. Thats why the STU tires are also running in 2WD there front tires are smaller than the rear.
Duning in 4WD is faster and safer also.
You will hear guys say all the time oh but I like 2wd it's fun. Yep it is sloppy and sloppy can be fun but sloppy is not fast. In all forms of racing the 4wd cars are the fastest right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts