Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought two 50' rolls and have half of one roll left to do the resonator/cat. I soaked it in a bucket and wraped it super tight. I used stainless wire and some stainless cv boot ties to secure the ends and tight bends.

now i will let it dry for a few days and paint it with DEI header wrap paint to keep the dirt from soaking in.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
What u mean u soaked it in water? Plan on doin this to mine tomorrow
When you dip it in water, it loosens up the fiberglass material. While wet, the material can be wrapped tightr much easier. It also helps keep the fibers down.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Cool....thanks for the info deff try that out tomorrow!
Don't forget to use the DEI silicone sealer. The more the better. It soaks in the wrap and hardens so it will help the wrap last A LOT longer. It will smoke a little for a minute when you restart but that's normal.

·
Registered
400 Posts
ceramic paint before wrapping would've helped, postings and videos from dei stated the wrap should NOT be soaked in water at any stage, but the dei silicone spray helps

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
ceramic paint before wrapping would've helped, postings and videos from dei stated the wrap should NOT be soaked in water at any stage, but the dei silicone spray helps

I agree about the ceramic coating. My muzzy is at the shop getting that sprayed on now. Then I will wrap it and seal it. However, this will be my 4th exhaust that will be wrapped and I would not do it without getting it wet first. I don't care what the instructions say. It will NOT wrap tight without it being wet first.

·
Registered
448 Posts
yup and no itchy itchy fiberglass to deal with.
Mega kinda wondering why you didn't take it over and have Jethot do the coating? I don't suppose you did a before and after temp reading with a temp gun?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I don't right answer but if you have done it in the past, and it works, i'll it

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Hell the instructions from DEI says to soak it in water...it deff made it wrap tighter
Yep the soaking in water loosens up the fiberglass so it's more flexible and stretches much tighter. Then after you spray the sealer on it and it dries it has a hard coat on it.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I think if you soak it to much you actually begin to lose some of the fiberglass material in the bucket. I ran some water over mine a bit while it was still rolled up and that gave it some good stretch so that it shrunk up and tightened when dry. Just don't over do the water.
I took mine for a spin yesterday for the first time since doing the wrap and heat padding and once the exhaust heated up that stuff smoked like crazy. Thought my Mav was on fire because once I slowed down the whole back end disappeared in a cloud. Cockpit was definitely quieter though. Planning a nice ride for Independance Day now.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I would think having it Ceramic coated would be enough and not require the wrap. Jethot does both the inside and outside of the tubing. I say one or the other. I am not a real fan of wrap on exhaust systems that will get wet as the wrap promotes rust. I suppose out west it's a mute issue lol.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I would think having it Ceramic coated would be enough and not require the wrap. Jethot does both the inside and outside of the tubing. I say one or the other. I am not a real fan of wrap on exhaust systems that will get wet as the wrap promotes rust. I suppose out west it's a mute issue lol.
I'm with you on that. I can imagine the wrap un spooling into some spinning part cause I am lucky that way.
Mega I asked because I know you can't be more than 20 minutes from Jet Hot. I'll measure mine if it ever shows up...

I'm not old I have just been around a long time....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts