Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas just got a couple questions on exhaust. Might be a dumb question but is there any ones that I should avoid for mud Riding. Mainly one that wouldn't hold back water and what not when I'm going deep. And I'm also looking for something really throaty. Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
There is no real better exhaust for deep water riding.. Keep in the throttle when you're in deep water, if your engine cuts off it's likely to suck water back into the engine via the exhaust and valves. You could install those goofy extended exhaust snorkels but they always look terrible and sound worse.

You will want to avoid a muffler that requires packing material, as one dip in the deep water and it will ruin the packing, it will deteriorate and blow out making your exhaust even louder, it won't really hurt anything other than you won't be able to keep packing material in it. If you do opt for a packable muffler don't buy the expensive stuff just get a roll of R-30 insulation at lowes and cut it to size. It's the same stuff just 10x cheaper.

Unplug EVERY electrical connection on your ride and put a dab of di-electric grease in them, don't forget the coils and spark plugs either! This is a tedious and time consuming task but when everything is run by a computer on the mav you don't want to take a chance on it shutting down on you in the middle of a pond.

After water riding check all your fluids for contamination, deep water puts a lot of pressure on diff & engine seals water will cause them to fail sooner than normal and you'll end up with water in the diffs or in the crankcase. Change fluids at the first sign of milky oil / diff lube as water isn't a great lubricator.

Put some proper snorkels on your ride and make sure every single vent line to the diffs, crank, and fuel tank are snorkeled as well. A great looking set of snorkels to the roof is absolutely useless if your fuel system sucks in water from a vent.

Take a bit of grease and run it around the inside of your gas cap, right on the seal. When you tighten down the gas cap you should notice that it will turn a little further than before.. This will ensure nothing gets past your gas cap.

Completely seal your airbox up, having to pry / cut silicone off is way better than having water get in your airbox.

Be prepared for 3 or 4 times the maintenance and much shorter lifespans when you ride deep water. It's a blast while you're doing it but it's a very costly way to play!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I have all that done already on the car. Just looking for a louder deeper exhaust and maybe even a few extra horsepower. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I think the Barkers and Muzzy systems sound pretty sweet. So does the Yoshimura prototype but don't think it is released yet.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Thanks heavy! I was interested in the barkers. Looks bad ass and sounds pretty sweet. Might have to go with that.
I don't think you will be dissapointed with either system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts