Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Has anyone done this? ...And with any performance gain?

I want just a bit more rasp in the exhaust note.

Thanks for chiming in!
You can do it...it will be louder but you will lose torque and probably HP as the exhaust needs the back-pressure to optimize both HP and Torque.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The CAT wont provide enough back pressure?
Good question that I dont know the answer too.. never had to deal with Cats on a performance exhaust.. so I'd defer to an expert.. If I had to guess tho Id say no.

·
Registered
317 Posts
No back pressure will take away from the torque and cause it to pop and backfire really bad, bad news for valves. Both need to have some back pressure to get the best performance.

·
Registered
150 Posts
No back pressure will take away from the torque and cause it to pop and backfire really bad, bad news for valves. Both need to have some back pressure to get the best performance.
YUP !!! Word...Lol

·
Registered
77 Posts
Engines needing back pressure is a myth. What they need is the correct diameter pipe to tune the velocity of the air for proper scavenging. Cutting out parts in an exhaust system loses power because the systems are designed around the components in it. A tuned exhaust designed with no cat. will make more power than anything with a cat. on it. Just wait and see what happens when Popo and Cat have to put cats on there rigs. There will be a power loss unless they hop it up a bit.

Generally anything after the cat. is open game for modding though. The cat. is such a huge restriction that "most" ecm's can actually adjust trims to compensate for it BUT it is designed to have it. Its a different ballgame when you start changing head pipes and deleting cats major retuning will be required.

Personally I have deleted the cat. Off of my 2011 Suzi m109r Vtwin and gained a shit ton of power.
Same for my 2012 Kawi z1000.

On my truck (2012 Raptor w/ Whipple) if I add headers and delete the cats I gain 40+hp easy.....requires retune though.

Basically don't fk with it. Just replace it with something designed not to have it.

Im not an exhaust guru but I do enjoy making horsepower so don't take my word for it...look it up!

Little bit of reading http://mechdb.com/index.php/Exhaust_back_pressure_myth

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 9 of 9 Posts