Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Does anyone know the route of cold water flow through can am system through turbo? Does it flow from lower side of the passenger engine by pump up through the turbo to the overflow bottle?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
turbos need water flow after the motor is shut off
so the water outlet it always the top outlet
if the turbo dose not get flow after the motor is off the coolant will overheat in the turbo
making steam and too much psi in the tank, blowing coolant out the cap

·
Registered
37 Posts
Correct and worse yet damage bearings etc per the article I posted. These turbos have one water line between the engine and turbo and one opposite side on cab. They don’t have a port on top unless that’s the blocked off port. The directions posted for the EVO put a trap on the passengers side line and while the flow would probably never make it to the radiator due to the lines dropping down to the bottom of the chassis I would think you would want to eliminate a trap ie slowing the siphoning attempt.
Do you know the direction of flow of the cool water on the Can Am x3?

·
Registered
27 Posts
i
Thanks. I bought the Agency turbo. No instructions. Should have done my homework ahead of time. Was debating between vivid, evo and Whalen. I don’t want to be forced to run anything above 93.
Researching it and confirming with my mechanic. Here is the article I read. Thanks for info I’ll study it!
I would call vivid because i am pretty sure even vivid has instructions for the turbo install. In fact I thought i remember seeing a video of them installing it at some point on YouTube. As to running anything over 93 gas, you can run 91 on the dynomite turbo with Evo as I have that tune on my maptuner and will be actually using that one with 93 gas for my trail rides but havent used it yet.

If you havnet installed that vivid turbo maybe you should look into returning it for a refund and contact evo to look into getting theirs. This way you have great support, a 91/93 gas tune and know you are getting more power as they run 4 bar map sensors vs stock and 3bar at vivid.

401 Posts
i

I would call vivid because i am pretty sure even vivid has instructions for the turbo install. In fact I thought i remember seeing a video of them installing it at some point on YouTube. As to running anything over 93 gas, you can run 91 on the dynomite turbo with Evo as I have that tune on my maptuner and will be actually using that one with 93 gas for my trail rides but havent used it yet.

If you havnet installed that vivid turbo maybe you should look into returning it for a refund and contact evo to look into getting theirs. This way you have great support, a 91/93 gas tune and know you are getting more power as they run 4 bar map sensors vs stock and 3bar at vivid.
3 bars are good to 32-33 lbs. No need for the 4 bars unless your building motor and pushing boost above that mark. Hell some of the big turbo kits available are still on stock 2 bars, what's the point of the larger turbo if your limiting boost by stock map sensor range. Baffles me for sure.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i

I looked at EVO they were extremely expensive and I didn’t feel I needed top of the line. I was happy saving a couple grand and getting close to 200 whp on 91. I typically run 93-95.
They finally sent me a picture showing were the lines go to and answered my questions. I’ve searched and had no luck finding a video or install instructions. The info you posted helped me confirm my suspicions, thanks! I like the idea of the fire sleeves I may do the same thing.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
3bar sensors can only see 29.4psi
1 bar is 14.7 psi
oem 2.5 bar for everything but RR is 22psi

·
Premium Member
7,442 Posts
The relationship between absolute pressure and gauge pressure needs to be understood here.

Is a 3bar max boost tolerance the same at sea level as it is at elevation?
Calculation for 3 bar at sea level =(3x14.7)-14.7 = 29.4psi gauge pressure
Calculation for 3 bar at 4500ft =(3x12.5)-12.5 = 25psi gauge pressure

Is that accurate? Or are 3 bar sensors always good to 29.4psi gauge pressure, even at elevation?

OR....would it go like this for 4500 feet???
(3x14.7)-12.5 = 31.6psi gauge pressure?

·
Premium Member
7,442 Posts
3bar sensors are good up to 29 bar, corresponding to 4.90volts. Anything above that will set overboost protection and ECM will force power cut to protect the engine..

I had that happen to me as soon as I hit the 29.7 psi mark on my boost gage.
My point was, is it affected by elevation? Already knew the 29 psi limit of 3 bar sensors, simple math told me that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My point was, is it affected by elevation? Already knew the 29 psi limit of 3 bar sensors, simple math told me that.
Map sensors will read the absolute pressure in the maniflod, that is the pressure supplied by the turbo, as you see it on the boost gauge + the atmospheric pressure at said elevation.
So to answer your Q, it is always good for the 29.7 psi

·
Premium Member
7,442 Posts
🤦‍♂️ No, absolute pressure is much, much different than gauge pressure on a gauge. The ONLY time those would be equal is if you were in out space and there was no barometric pressure.

·
Premium Member
7,442 Posts
I think, not 100%, but I think the map sensor limit will change with elevation. Since the sensors read absolute pressure, which is local barometric pressure plus gauge pressure, that 3 bar limit likely changes as your barometric pressure changes.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
We know our cars have more boost at sea level vs 5000’, I think with my stock turbo I loose around 3lbs at st Anthony vs Glamis

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have edited my post above to add more clarity.

The MAP sensor limit will not change with elevation. But if your tune is written at sea level, and then you run your X3 at a different elevation, your fuel map is not accurate any more, and your power curve is also different than at sea level

·
Premium Member
7,442 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think the map sensor is always accurate up to its limit, that's the point of it reading abs pressure, so it can adjust for elevation.

As you go up in elevation, map sensors can read higher. As an example:

Sea level, 3bar can read 14.7x3=44.1psi absolute pressure.
Thats 44.1-14.7=29.4 gauge pressure.

At 4500ft, that same sensor can still read 44.1 psi absolute. But with less barometric pressure, you take 44.1-12.5=31.6psi gauge.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts