Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed something wierd lately. My mav sport max running straight non ethanol starts different than with fuel that has ethanol. I notice more i think because of my loud exhaust. On ethanol fuel it starts with a loud bark and strong. On non ethanol fuel it spits and sputter starts. I did an experiment and it seems to be with the fuel. Anyone else notice? By the way non eth. Fuel is 93. Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
3,387 Posts
I've never noticed a difference. I run non ethanol as much as I can but it's only available at one place around me. So when I fill up elsewhere it's usually around 10% ethanol. I can't perceive a difference. Running stock exhaust.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya warm start up non ethanol starts ok but with ethanol doesnt matter cold or warm. Its mostly noticed at cold start. Btw i do every service intervale by the book all oem filters and oil. Almost 2000 miles. For the most part it doesnt effect anything i was just curious. I will leave non eth in it for the winter.

·
Registered
2021 Sport Max
1,593 Posts
i run premium fuel through mine (93). i know it's a waste but i go a couple weeks or a month between rides sometimes, and i know higher end fuel "sits" better than reg fuel.

has anyone ran rec fuel in theirs?

·
Registered
2020 X3 XRS Turbo RR
330 Posts
Straight pump gas, depending on the blend and EPA regional & seasonal requirements, has a Reid vapor pressure limit of 9 PSI. E10 has ~1 PSI grater vapor pressure than straight gas, therefore, it is more volatile than straight gas. Perhaps the >10% increase in vapor pressure is what you're noticing as it will be easier to cold start.

That also means that E10 is more prone to vapor lock. Usually not an issue with EFI but if you have an old carburated car with an engine driven fuel pump, the alcohol blends up to 15% can be more prone to vapor lock on hot summer days. Thank you EPA.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Straight pump gas, depending on the blend and EPA regional & seasonal requirements, has a Reid vapor pressure limit of 9 PSI. E10 has ~1 PSI grater vapor pressure than straight gas, therefore, it is more volatile than straight gas. Perhaps the >10% increase in vapor pressure is what you're noticing as it will be easier to cold start.

That also means that E10 is more prone to vapor lock. Usually not an issue with EFI but if you have an old carburated car with an engine driven fuel pump, the alcohol blends up to 15% can be more prone to vapor lock on hot summer days. Thank you EPA.
That makes sense to what im noticing

·
Registered
2021 Sport Max
1,593 Posts
All pump fuel stores the same, they all require a fuel stabilizer for storage over 30 days
come to my small engine shop and tell me that :D

95% of my carb repairs are caused by someone leaving fuel in it for longer than 30 days.

Reactions: Dr. Dirty and onkyo

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I’ve got a garden tiller with 5 year old ethanol free premium and it’ll fire on the second pull. Meanwhile the 89 sugar cane has gummed up weed eaters and generators within 6 months. All the same my ass….
That's why I NEVER add a drop of ethanol to any small engine that may sit for awhile. That stuff turns very nasty. Disastrous for carburetors.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I stopped winterizing my small engine tools ages ago, I just use ethanol free gas.
I suppose I’ve just been lucky but I’ve been using Stabil and the lowest grade gas forever in all my yard equipment and chainsaw. Never winterize any of them and what ever gas is left the last time I use them for the year is left in them. Haven’t had any trouble getting them started the next spring. I’m sure it will bite me in the ass at some point but I’ve been doing it that way for 30 years now.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I suppose I’ve just been lucky but I’ve been using Stabil and the lowest grade gas forever in all my yard equipment and chainsaw. Never winterize any of them and what ever gas is left the last time I use them for the year is left in them. Haven’t had any trouble getting them started the next spring. I’m sure it will bite me in the ass at some point but I’ve been doing it that way for 30 years now.
Much easier to get away with for fuel injected engines.

If you look into the deep history of corn fuel, it was one of the contributing factors to the development of high pressure fuel injection. It has enough pressure to blast the ethanol goop through the system. In the 1980's/90's throttle body fuel injection systems did not run much more pressure really than a carburetor cam driven fuel pump.

Ethanol fuel in a carburetor, forget it. If you make it passed a year or 2 with old fuel in them often, that's a miracle.

It eats the shit out of aluminum too.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Much easier to get away with for fuel injected engines.

If you look into the deep history of corn fuel, it was one of the contributing factors to the development of high pressure fuel injection. It has enough pressure to blast the ethanol goop through the system. In the 1980's/90's throttle body fuel injection systems did not run much more pressure really than a carburetor cam driven fuel pump.

Ethanol fuel in a carburetor, forget it. If you make it passed a year or 2 with old fuel in them often, that's a miracle.

It eats the shit out of aluminum too.
Yeah I’m not using E85, most of the low grade stuff here is 10%. Only thing I put non ethanol gas in is the sxs.

·
Registered
2021 Sport Max
1,593 Posts
we tell our customers to not even leave fuel in your small engine tools when winterizing. run them clean out of fuel. and then add fresh fuel in the spring. but once again, not fuel injected engines lol.

Reactions: PLAY-DOH

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
only thing rec (no ethonal) is good for is long storage...over summer/winter...way too low of octane for any of my toys....its good lawnmower gas...lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts