Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? My speedo well randomly jump up and down in speed. Like at idle it well bounce up to 30mph just for an instant. And at 70 mph it might go down to 30mph. Just real erratic. Then to add to it the throttle well cut out. But only when I'm on the gas. Idles fine. The harder I try try to ride the worse it gets. Any one had this? I checked that all relays and fuses are tight. Checked the major grounds. Also I have no check engine light. The two problems seem to be related because it always starts doing both at the same time. I'm starting to wonder about the PCM. Any one with brp trouble shooting experience have an idea?? Thanks

·
Registered
209 Posts
I thought there is a speed sensor that needs to be cleaned at certain maintenance interval. It might be at the 100 hr service. It's down by the 4wd actuator but I have never serviced mine.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
895 Posts
yup, what he said ^^^^
if the engine wasn't cutting out my first guess would be the instrument cluster but I'm guessing the speed sensor too based on the engine acting up while the speedo does

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK thanks guys I well check that tonight. That makes sense. The PCM probably sees the rapid speed change and kicks in the shaft saver.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? My speedo well randomly jump up and down in speed. Like at idle it well bounce up to 30mph just for an instant. And at 70 mph it might go down to 30mph. Just real erratic. Then to add to it the throttle well cut out. But only when I'm on the gas. Idles fine. The harder I try try to ride the worse it gets. Any one had this? I checked that all relays and fuses are tight. Checked the major grounds. Also I have no check engine light. The two problems seem to be related because it always starts doing both at the same time. I'm starting to wonder about the PCM. Any one with brp trouble shooting experience have an idea?? Thanks
Was your dash saying "Low Gear" by chance? Mine was acting up the other day, and I just posted a thread on it. I had mostly same symptoms.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is what the sensor looked like. Doesn't seem like enough to cause a problem. But maybe it's very sensitive. I had a bit more on the drain plug. But all just extremely fine. Have to keep a little closer eye on the oil in the future.

Attachments

·
Registered
895 Posts
ive changed 3 of the sensors, one in a renegade, one commander and one 1st gen maverick...oh wait, I forgot my 16 max xrs had one too so 4 of them out of 9 can ams ive had

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I cleaned the sensing but, it's still doing it. Actually getting worse. Guess it's time for a sensor

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone ever try one of the generic speed sensors off of eBay? I'm usually not into generic parts. But I'm not impressed with the 1300 miles I got out of the brp part. Figure for a third the price I might give it a try.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So the sensor I got off eBay was complete junk. Didn't work at all. Put a new Bro sensor in and all is well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Was your dash saying "Low Gear" by chance? Mine was acting up the other day, and I just posted a thread on it. I had mostly same symptoms.
Mine is saying low gear, Sporadic speedometer going crazy and loss of power ... I am guessing maybe speed sensor from what I am reading

1 - 14 of 14 Posts