Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,764 Posts
So this happened after the ST rack was added, correct? I was under the impression the ST rack would alleviate much of this same problem by reducing the steering bind, which was said to cause the motor to go into limp mode. Maybe I am missing something.

Sam
I dont remember anything about the motor going into limp mode. The steering would cut out is my take. Tim

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
What Justin said I believe is that if the rack bound up, it would cause a voltage spike that would cause the DPS to shut off for a split second. To the driver this would feel like feedback spiking through the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Did about 300 miles in Baja this past weekend. No issues whatsoever. The ST steering rack is working nice and I only use about 50% power with the epower box. Could steer easily with two fingers even in 4wd.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yes, Ken at epower set me up with the heatsink and so far no problems. Super nice guy. Also, turns out I didn't really need the power cranked to the max, so that helps it from getting hot as well. No issues turning the ST rack, but then again after I shimmed it up it was turning fine anyway. Definitely a lot less feedback.

Break break....Hey oldcarguy, your inbox is full if you're reading this.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Glad you got her dialed

·
Official Site Vendor
6,774 Posts
Is anybody that is having problems with their ePowersteering cutting out? The problem is voltage dips on the CanAm switched power supply. The cure is wire the on off wire directly to the battery with a switch or relay. This will help so that the unit does not have to be re-set. A cure is in the works from ePowersteering that will hold the voltage up for a couple of seconds. I will have that in a couple of weeks. PM for more info.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
old thread... Am in the process of installing the ePowersteering heatsink and can say the single tube of thermal grease they supply in the kit is not nearly enough. Really needs at least 3 (4g) tubes of thermal grease for that large of a heatsink. I can't imagine guys are getting that great of thermal performance out of the heatsink only using a single shot of thermal grease. Anyways, my $02 coming from 20yrs in the computer/CPU business

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
And I needed two 4g syringes (8g total) of thermal grease to get good coverage on the heatsink. The syringe that came in my kit maybe had 2-3g.

I had a lot of PS loss last week on the Rubicon before getting this installed. Hiope to test there again soon. You can get by with 1/2 power doing any kind of moderate speed. But slow rock crawling in my experience needs 3/4-full power.

·
Registered
79 Posts
And I needed two 4g syringes (8g total) of thermal grease to get good coverage on the heatsink. The syringe that came in my kit maybe had 2-3g.

I had a lot of PS loss last week on the Rubicon before getting this installed. Hiope to test there again soon. You can get by with 1/2 power doing any kind of moderate speed. But slow rock crawling in my experience needs 3/4-full power.
Hey Sandman, I haven’t had an issue with mine yet, but have noticed response a little slower while crawling. I ordered mine with heat sink installed. Do I need to pull it and add more paste? Also, do you have fan part for your setup? Looks pretty slick...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,152 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Its worth checking. Unless they put loctite on the heatsink bolts its pretty easy to pop off.

Perfect! Thanks bro. BTW, I am so happy with the torq locker and e-steer setup, your review helped with that decision. I have had a few friends drive my car and are blown away with the traction it gives as compared to theirs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Perfect! Thanks bro. BTW, I am so happy with the torq locker and e-steer setup, your review helped with that decision. I have had a few friends drive my car and are blown away with the traction it gives as compared to theirs.

I totally agree with the epowersteering and torque locker combo. I just installed ST's race rack and will be testing it this morning to stateline.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts