Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I went and tested my car today with the new ST steering rack. Very nice, really had to hammer into some big stuff at speed to get any feedback and even then it was minimal.

So just when I'm following my buddies TT around one last loop at Plaster City, all of a sudden the power steering goes out. I can still turn the wheel but its obviously all muscle power, no assist. Shut the car off, do a quick inspection, don't see anything. Fire it back up and the steering is working fine again.

Drive another mile or two and again, the power steering goes out. I think maybe its overheating or something, but I feel the electric motor and its not hot. Limp it back to the staging area and start checking all the connections. The only thing I found that might have been a problem was a slightly loose ground at the post where the main power wires are connected. I would normally assume that this was the problem, but the connection wasn't really loose, just I could move it a little by hand. In any event it was getting to be time to head out, but I tightened that ground up and drove the car for about 10 minutes with no other issue.

Hopefully that's all it was, but maybe someone else has had an issue with this and knows something else to check? I've driven the car about 500 miles with the epower so far and this is the first problem I've had.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Hey I went and tested my car today with the new ST steering rack. Very nice, really had to hammer into some big stuff at speed to get any feedback and even then it was minimal.

So just when I'm following my buddies TT around one last loop at Plaster City, all of a sudden the power steering goes out. I can still turn the wheel but its obviously all muscle power, no assist. Shut the car off, do a quick inspection, don't see anything. Fire it back up and the steering is working fine again.

Drive another mile or two and again, the power steering goes out. I think maybe its overheating or something, but I feel the electric motor and its not hot. Limp it back to the staging area and start checking all the connections. The only thing I found that might have been a problem was a slightly loose ground at the post where the main power wires are connected. I would normally assume that this was the problem, but the connection wasn't really loose, just I could move it a little by hand. In any event it was getting to be time to head out, but I tightened that ground up and drove the car for about 10 minutes with no other issue.

Hopefully that's all it was, but maybe someone else has had an issue with this and knows something else to check? I've driven the car about 500 miles with the epower so far and this is the first problem I've had.
That ground was probably the problem.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pretty sure the ECU is what overheats not the motor. The heatsink that Craig offers with his kit goes on the ECU. Put your hand on the ECU next time it cuts out.
Will do. Do I remember reading that there is a difference between the current model they sell and earlier models? I'll have to look into that.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Only difference is in the steering shaft/U-joints used. Pretty sure the motor and ECU are all the same.

There was a thread a few monts ago where a guys was cutting out/overheating and he posted a pic of the heatsink used on the ECU

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only difference is in the steering shaft/U-joints used. Pretty sure the motor and ECU are all the same.

There was a thread a few monts ago where a guys was cutting out/overheating and he posted a pic of the heatsink used on the ECU
Ok thanks. I see on craig's site that he sells a dual battery kit with a heat sink, but I don't see the heat sink listed by itself. I can buy a heat sink on ebay for 10 bucks, so maybe if I see what it looks like I can just fab something up.

·
Registered
257 Posts
In addition to the heat sink I mounted a small computer tower style fan, in the corner of the dash under what looks like a speaker grill to help remove the hot air generated by the ECU. To date no more issues and have tested it quite well with tight twisty trails and I also have a steering quickner that make the unit work even harder.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In addition to the heat sink I mounted a small computer tower style fan, in the corner of the dash under what looks like a speaker grill to help remove the hot air generated by the ECU. To date no more issues and have tested it quite well with tight twisty trails and I also have a steering quickner that make the unit work even harder.
Thanks, I just found the thread where you mentioned that, it was about the adjustment knob. Any chance you have a picture of what the heat sink looks like mounted up? Is it just aluminum fins attached to the ECU?

·
Registered
995 Posts
After first moab trip last spring on 35 tires with esteer cutting out, welded the ecu mount to the car frame instead of clamping it. Cleaned the paint off the mount bracket to help the heat transfer to the car frame.
Not a cure, but it helps and you have to mount the ecu anyway.
Word is that an alternator is the cure all.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a pic of the heat sink that I got from Ken. I think he said He was looking to find a different unit for future use. I also put some heat sink compound between the 2 components.
Perfect, thanks for that. Should be simple enough to make.

·
Registered
257 Posts
One thing I should mention if anyone is going to duplicate my vent system using the speaker grill, I had a problem with water getting in to my steering ECM as I had mounted it with the heat sink upward and resulted in creating a condition that allowed water to get in to the cover that protects the printed circuit board and killed it. On the replacement ECU I tilted it slightly and punched some holes in the corners of it to allow for water to drain if it got into it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Pretty sure the ECU is what overheats not the motor. The heatsink that Craig offers with his kit goes on the ECU. Put your hand on the ECU next time it cuts out.
In my case I don’t run an ST steering rack but I do run a Motec m130 and as soon as I start the X3 I can feel there is no power to the
Steering wheel its takes about 5 to 10 seconds to feel that the power back. While driving the steering cuts power off in rough terrain such as trucks and 4x4 tracks. And before going with the Motec with a stock ECU I was losing power to the steering when the weather was too hot or I am just pushing the X3 a lot.

This steering issue got me really confused.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
In my case I don’t run an ST steering rack but I do run a Motec m130 and as soon as I start the X3 I can feel there is no power to the
Steering wheel its takes about 5 to 10 seconds to feel that the power back. While driving the steering cuts power off in rough terrain such as trucks and 4x4 tracks. And before going with the Motec with a stock ECU I was losing power to the steering when the weather was too hot or I am just pushing the X3 a lot.

This steering issue got me really confused.
Im not referring to the cars ECU but rather the ePower Steering ECU that monts under the dash.

·
Official Site Vendor
6,774 Posts
Here is a link to the heat sink with install tips:

Can Am X3 ePowersteering Kit HEAT SINK
Reduce or eliminate steering fade on your ePowersteering kit.
Heat sink is a bolt on option.
Comes with:

• Heat Sink
  • Heat Sink Compound
  • Tap to make threads into the existing ECU holes
  • Bolts to mount to your ePowersteering ECU
Install tips in order of priority (it is all about getting heat away from the ECU):

• Remove paint from ECU where the heat sink makes contact
  • Apply heat sink compound between surfaces of ECU & Heat Sink
  • Remove paint from mounting bracket and ECU and apply heat sink compound
  • Tighten all bolts as tight as possible without breaking the bolts
  • Weld ECU bracket to the tube instead of clamping
  • Re-tighten bolts after several heat cycles if needed or steering fade reoccurs
https://www.proutvparts.com/products/can-am-x3-epowersteering-kit-heat-sink-power-steering-on-steroids

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Craig. Frankly I think if the ECU is overheating and the fix is to add a heat sink to it, they should just send it to you for free. It’s one thing to buy an option that gives you extra performance. It’s another thing to have to buy something just to make it work properly like it’s supposed to.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Here is a link to the heat sink with install tips:

Can Am X3 ePowersteering Kit HEAT SINK
Reduce or eliminate steering fade on your ePowersteering kit.
Heat sink is a bolt on option.
Comes with:

• Heat Sink
  • Heat Sink Compound
  • Tap to make threads into the existing ECU holes
  • Bolts to mount to your ePowersteering ECU
Install tips in order of priority (it is all about getting heat away from the ECU):

• Remove paint from ECU where the heat sink makes contact
  • Apply heat sink compound between surfaces of ECU & Heat Sink
  • Remove paint from mounting bracket and ECU and apply heat sink compound
  • Tighten all bolts as tight as possible without breaking the bolts
  • Weld ECU bracket to the tube instead of clamping
  • Re-tighten bolts after several heat cycles if needed or steering fade reoccurs
https://www.proutvparts.com/products/can-am-x3-epowersteering-kit-heat-sink-power-steering-on-steroids
Also use caution when tapping the holes for attachment. A 10-24 bottom tap works well.

·
Official Site Vendor
6,774 Posts
Thanks Craig. Frankly I think if the ECU is overheating and the fix is to add a heat sink to it, they should just send it to you for free. It’s one thing to buy an option that gives you extra performance. It’s another thing to have to buy something just to make it work properly like it’s supposed to.

I agree, but I don't own the company.

·
Registered
494 Posts
So this happened after the ST rack was added, correct? I was under the impression the ST rack would alleviate much of this same problem by reducing the steering bind, which was said to cause the motor to go into limp mode. Maybe I am missing something.

Sam

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So this happened after the ST rack was added, correct? I was under the impression the ST rack would alleviate much of this same problem by reducing the steering bind, which was said to cause the motor to go into limp mode. Maybe I am missing something.

Sam
There is no limp mode with the epower steering. My steering certainly wasn't binding. I just think I got it too hot going down a very twisty trail at speed.

I talked to Ken at epower and turns out they are only about 30 minutes from me in Ramona. So I went up there and he put me on his racer program and put a heat sink on my ecu today. He said that when guys start really pushing the car this can happen but all his racers have cured it with the heat sink. Plus the racer program lets you get spare parts during the races if something should fail. Very nice guy and I think this is gonna work fine. Going out again next weekend and will report back.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts